• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PVC vs. Barex. Are CGG holders really unsafe?

71 posts in this topic

Your thoughts on this as opposed to both the other type and to either type of PVC.

Shadroch,

Here's a rough comparison (Note: data is for sheets, not film. Best guess chosen for PVC)

materialscomparison.jpg

Thanks for posting some pictures. All these big words and heady concepts were starting to hurt my head. Us comic geeks need pictures with our words!

Just in the interest of fairness and disclosure MW1 could you tell us if you profit from any source related to PVC or if you're paid by some source to try and 'spread the gospel' about PVC's?

Nope. I am not involved in any PVC related businesses nor have I ever been associated with anyone (to the best of my knowledge) who was involved in a PVC related business. Moreover, none of my salary (or financial compensation) is derived from PVC related sources.

Thanks for answering quickly and concisely.

Shadroch,

Here's a rough comparison (Note: data is for sheets, not film. Best guess chosen for PVC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uhh, could you tell the less smart people what that means?

What it bacically says from the start... PVC is heavier, more light can penetrate Barex, PVC is not as clear, Barev is stronger but PVC is harder, PVC can withstand impact better, Barex hold up to heat better, Batex absorbs less gases except PVC absorbs less moisture.

What I of like to have seen in these charts would be some kind of LIFE TEST RESULTS. Thats really the bottom line. If the material can't hold up then it can't protect. The only reason the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS says no to PVC is that its not good to protect organic things with it.

BTW I have no monetary connection with either plastics. I have my comics slabbed by CGC. I feel they are safe in thier holders.