• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is anyone keeping a running tally...

11 posts in this topic

....on the total sales of some of the newer Pedigree collections that have come to market....Rocky Mountain, Savannah, Twin Cities?

Since the entire collections are being sold via the internet through either C-link or Heritage, I'd be curious if anyone has or is currently keeping track of the hammer prices of each book and has a total dollar amount each colection has tallied to date.

I think it would be interesting know exactly how much these collections are bringing in.

All I know is I bought a Rocky Mt.Pedigree without understanding what the heck a Pedigree was and how it could raised the hell out of the final hammer price I had to pay. I think I might have moved on if I had known and went after a non-Pedigree. I just assumed it was the same as any ol' comic with the same grade.

Oh well, chalk it up as a newbie learning experience.

All I know is I bought a Rocky Mt.Pedigree without understanding what the heck a Pedigree was and how it could raised the hell out of the final hammer price I had to pay. I think I might have moved on if I had known and went after a non-Pedigree. I just assumed it was the same as any ol' comic with the same grade.

Oh well, chalk it up as a newbie learning experience.

how could it have raised the price you had to pay? you entered a maximum bid and you purchased the book for your maximum or somewhat less. if you weren't prepared to pay your maximum bid, why would you have bid that high?

I made the bid on the assumption that this was the market rate for this book. It is not so much the final price that bothers me, but rather that there may have been be a lower priced option out there without the pedigree tag. Once again, this was inexperience on my part not understanding what a pedigree was. Now that I do, I would rather buy a non-pedigree with the same grade and not spend the extra money if I didn't have to.

I made the bid on the assumption that this was the market rate for this book. It is not so much the final price that bothers me, but rather that there may have been be a lower priced option out there without the pedigree tag. Once again, this was inexperience on my part not understanding what a pedigree was. Now that I do, I would rather buy a non-pedigree with the same grade and not spend the extra money if I didn't have to.

even though some of us pay premiums for them? would you still avoid them?

even though some of us pay premiums for them? would you still avoid them?

I guess that depends on how much I really want the item (whether it's a comic book, baseball card, or whatever). I've overpaid for things I really wanted in the past.

I've got nothing against people who like to collect pedigrees or even the concept of pedigrees itself. It's just that I don't care about the historical association with the original owner and if I had known that this was the reason for the aggressive bidding, I would have backed off. I wanted a nice book, but for the book itself and not because it used to be part of someone's collection.

I'd say the Twin Cities collection brought in the biggest numbers of the last 4 or so Pedigrees (Twin Cities, Suscha, Savannah...) but what do I know.

I feel the numbers from Twin Cities vs. Savannah might be closer then you think. What TC has in amazingly high graded copies Sav has in pure breadth. I been grabbing some Sav DC books that otherwise dont exist in such a grade. They have also been selling very strong (or at least the ones i was after).

The two day Twin Cities pedigree auction in New York raised about $1.5 million. An additional $100K or so was raised in the Los Angeles two-book auction before it. Since additional pieces from the collection are being sold at weekly auctions, and some additional keys are coming to market in July (such as the Avengers and Silver Surfer #1s), I'd guesstimate that the collection will gross somewhere between $2-2.5 million.

The two day Twin Cities pedigree auction in New York raised about $1.5 million. An additional $100K or so was raised in the Los Angeles two-book auction before it. Since additional pieces from the collection are being sold at weekly auctions, and some additional keys are coming to market in July (such as the Avengers and Silver Surfer #1s), I'd guesstimate that the collection will gross somewhere between $2-2.5 million.

yeah, sounds like the comics market is spinning into a rapid death

what do you think christie's got through ALL of its comic auctions in the 90's? did they even crack $2 million?