• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on a couple of grading terms

6 posts in this topic

what is the difference between these:

bend

crease

spine tic

are those essentially the same thing?

In grading guides, I often see "1/n bend/crease if no color break"

In most cases, that seems straightforward to me. let's say a book has a crease at the corner, it's judged by length and whether color is broken.

But on the spine it seems a little more difficult. I'm looking at a book that has 2 flaws on the spine. In the picture below, they clearly look like 1/16 inch creases with color break. When reflecting light off the spine, they look more like small Vs at the spine, with color break at the point of the V and the crease lessening as you move to the top of the V. Do you judge the size of the crease by the portion that breaks color, or the entire crease, even if only a small part breaks color?

Assuming the rest of this book looks very nice, how bad would this impact the grade for you? Looking at Overstreet's regular price guide and Overstreet's Grading Guide, neither allows color breaking creases higher than 7.0. So would that put this book at 7.0/7.5?

thor_342.jpg

A crease is a fold. It may or may not break colour, leaving a white line.

A very small crease on the spine is a spine tic. Tics may or may not break colour.

A bend is just that. You can notice the change in angle of the surface of the paper but it is not nearly as sharp or fibre breaking as a fold. It won't break colour.

If there is/are tick-like NCB (non-color-breaking) fold(s) along the spine, either front or back cover or both, I refer to these as rack-type stresses (as derived from when books stood vertical in comic book racks and might develop these type bends removing and replacing the comics... )

A crease is a fold. It may or may not break colour, leaving a white line.

A very small crease on the spine is a spine tic. Tics may or may not break colour.

A bend is just that. You can notice the change in angle of the surface of the paper but it is not nearly as sharp or fibre breaking as a fold. It won't break colour.

Well done (of course) (thumbs u

To answer your question about the grading impact of that colour-break, I have slabbed books in 9.2 that have those kinds of defects (but not more than one, or maybe two smaller ones).

But the picture you posted also has some rubbing at the top with discolouration - and that probably has a greater impact on both eye appeal and grade than the small cbc.

My 2c