• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Date Stamps On Comics....

44 posts in this topic

I have seen several people talk about date stamps on comic book covers, so I looked through my collectio and sure enough, I have a very nice X-Men #100 that is a fantastic looking book...BUT it has a damn date stamp on the front.

Can you do anything about that?

Does it significantly reduce the value of the book?

For some people date stamps reduce the eye appeal, but it does not affect the technical grade (with everything I think except 9.9 and 10)... otherwise the date stamp is fine.

I would say overall a date stamp does not affect the value of a book... for me it doesn't reduce eye appeal. I actually like them.

No need to try and remove it.

heh...could they put them in a WORST place though? The damn thing is right out in a nice clear clean spot...heh.

As long as it isn' a big deal...I was just reading another thread and someone mentioned theirs, I started looking at my books and realized I got one.

Like i said, date stamps are cool....but dont you wish you could go back in time, walk into your childhood LCS and pummel the old store owner to a bloody pulp for defacing such beautiful comics? I still remember going into a corner convienience store down on the Danforth in Toronto when i was like 9, and wondering why the grumpy old man who owned the place was writing on such nice new books. Oh well, like i said, adds to the charm. cool.gif

actually, if it blocked a significant part of the cover art's main character or something it would bother me. I have an incredible Cap 109 with a date stamp in the title... that doesn't bother me. Stamped across Cap's face or shield... well I probably would've passed.

Bought that book from Joe Verenault years back... stunning, stunning book... he used to have some of the highest graded Marvel's I'd see... but then CGC came along and now his stock is fairly ordinary (unless they're all CGC'd).

actually, almost all of my comics are mine. Either given to me by my father or collected by myself. I was a huge X-men nerd ( well, I'm still a huge nerd ) and I personally bought most of these off the rack.

here is the offending stamp.

x-men_damnstamp.jpg

actually, almost all of my comics are mine. Either given to me by my father or collected by myself. I was a huge X-men nerd ( well, I'm still a huge nerd ) and I personally bought most of these off the rack.

x-men_damnstamp.jpg

That is better than alot i have seen.

Plus it is really faint.

I wouldn't worry about a date stamp that size Steve. It's very light and doesn't detract from the eye appeal of that book. IMO (and many others including CGC) it's not a problem.

x-men_damnstamp.jpg

Ahhhhh.....thats nothing a little colour touch cant make dissapear. thumbsup2.gif

beautiful book. whoever (your father or you) took great care with their comics. I see a slight bend in the book... that may come from sliding in the long box. Get those books under 143 out of the box and their standard bags and boards and into mylars!!! stat!!

Or, submit them to CGC for the keys!

I agree, before you buy another comic trash that old cardboard box and get your comics properly stored. As far as date stamps go I generally will not a a comic if its on the front cover. If its on the back cover I don't care. Looks like you have a nice collection.

I am submitting 10 books for grading this week with 10 at a time to follow thanks to the advice from all of you guys here.

All my books look basically like my X-Men #1 , my X-Men #111 and my X-Men #100

so I am having all the books to #150 graded, I'm just getting my really good ones like #1 thru 10 done, my Giant Size #1 and so on first.

I just keep finding different stuff here that I have questions with...you guys are a WEALTH of knowledge.