• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze/Copper Age Books Really ARE Common...

5 posts in this topic

I already knew this quite well, but this fact was drilled further into my grey matter after spending yesterday at my friend's place getting his inventory in order for the local con season.

I'm quite aware of most of his inventory, since he bought me out, but I know he had his own cache stored away. Well, I finally got to see it yesterday. It made me laugh (in a good way). We went through about 10 longboxes worth of THOR, ASM, CAPTAIN AMERICA, FANTASTIC FOUR, and misc MARVEL BRONZE/COPPER titles with high duplication. The only problem is that most were NOT boarded, and thus grade in the VF/NM range. Great gloss and colour strike on most of these puppies though.

I'll have to go back soon and help him determine if he happens to have any 9.6/9.8s worth getting graded. Sadly, the nicest looking copies belonged to titles like FANTASY MASTERPIECES and AMAZING ADVENTURES (the X-MEN reprint).

Regardless, he's got some nice stuff (unless you're a 9.4 and higher collector) to bring to market, but most of the keys were sold a long time ago... :P

All in all it was fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Indeed. There's always something so cool about being surrounded by a large group of comic books. It's almost as though they're collectively a living entity with the sole desire to be observed.

And I am always happy to oblige :grin:

Indeed. There's always something so cool about being surrounded by a large group of comic books. It's almost as though they're collectively a living entity with the sole desire to be observed.

And I am always happy to oblige :grin:

I agree and it feels like your childhood in one room, if the books are from your kiddy days, which in this case the BRONZE/COPPER books are. The sweet power of nostalgia... :cloud9:

I already knew this quite well, but this fact was drilled further into my grey matter after spending yesterday at my friend's place getting his inventory in order for the local con season.

I'm quite aware of most of his inventory, since he bought me out, but I know he had his own cache stored away. Well, I finally got to see it yesterday. It made me laugh (in a good way). We went through about 10 longboxes worth of THOR, ASM, CAPTAIN AMERICA, FANTASTIC FOUR, and misc MARVEL BRONZE/COPPER titles with high duplication. The only problem is that most were NOT boarded, and thus grade in the VF/NM range. Great gloss and colour strike on most of these puppies though.

I'll have to go back soon and help him determine if he happens to have any 9.6/9.8s worth getting graded. Sadly, the nicest looking copies belonged to titles like FANTASY MASTERPIECES and AMAZING ADVENTURES (the X-MEN reprint).

Regardless, he's got some nice stuff (unless you're a 9.4 and higher collector) to bring to market, but most of the keys were sold a long time ago... :P

I love going through boxes of high-grade bronze/copper books as you describe, even if they are second-tier and third-tier titles. It really does feel a bit like time travel when the books are all so well-preserved...and you come across covers you haven't seen in 20+ years. (thumbs u

As noted by you, this comes as no surprise to you. In 1986 there were zillions of comic shops and comic collectors, huge halls filled with tables at comic conventions, etc. It's not like the books in all those collections/inentories were lost in California forest fires or Florida/New orleans hurricanes. 99% of them are still out there. Time to stop looking at these kinds of books as potentially "rare" or "hard to find." They have never been described that way except maybe at the start of CGC when some people thought these comics might be HTF as 9.8s. They're collectible for the completionist, the occasional key and given new comics are $3-$4, they ought to have some value to folks who like them to read them and look at the pretty pictures.