• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planning for the Inevitable

18 posts in this topic

This came out of BB's question in Marketplace on how to approach a collection. Again my apologies to BB for furthering the thread from the intent.

But it DOES raise an interesting question.

Have any of you made provisions for the disposal of your collections by family members?

I have made some simple provisions: I keep a spreadsheet of my collection and update it "value" wise. I have named individuals that have first call at a certain (low)percentage of whatever I have entered in my latest spreadsheets. After that, I have named certain dealers I know well and consider friends. I have specified certain percentages to expect from the spreadsheet.

This is certainly not an elegant thing but it seems to address things so friends have an opportunity to get books at a very cheap price and the family can sell the rest to a dealer and get a feel for what to expect.

Anyone else made provisions? Details not necessary - just curious since there are some pretty hefty collections here.

This came out of BB's question in Marketplace on how to approach a collection. Again my apologies to BB for furthering the thread from the intent.

But it DOES raise an interesting question.

Have any of you made provisions for the disposal of your collections by family members?

I have made some simple provisions: I keep a spreadsheet of my collection and update it "value" wise. I have named individuals that have first call at a certain (low)percentage of whatever I have entered in my latest spreadsheets. After that, I have named certain dealers I know well and consider friends. I have specified certain percentages to expect from the spreadsheet.

This is certainly not an elegant thing but it seems to address things so friends have an opportunity to get books at a very cheap price and the family can sell the rest to a dealer and get a feel for what to expect.

Anyone else made provisions? Details not necessary - just curious since there are some pretty hefty collections here.

Mrs. Donut knows what to do. I pity the gypsy, tramp and thief dealer who tries to rip off Mrs. Donut. grin.gif

Forum Death Match for my collection. Winner takes all, except:

Chrom gets the FF's.

Lantern gets the Bullets Stripper Page.

Borock gets the Wanted Page.

Greggy can have any un-used polybags and backboards (Mylite-2's and Fullbacks to be equally divided among survivor's).

Chrom gets the FF's.

Greggy can have any un-used polybags and backboards (Mylite-2's and Fullbacks to be equally divided among survivor's).

You da man! thumbsup2.gif

Chrom gets the FF's.

cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

If anyone needs a beneficiary for their collection, I would happily step up to the task. You can PM with details of your will. I will safely look after your collection(s).

Thank you

One day when my wife was in the comic/computer room in our house I started to mention what she should do with the comics if something should happen to me. Well, after watching her gaze up at the shelving units with a kind of blank expression on her face I gave up. Somebody is going to have the find of a lifetime at a garage sale someday.

Of course I'll be gone and could give two sh?ts anyways.

CRC

Unfortunatly , I have tried but failed to this point. My wife thinks that my

collection (accumulation) takes up space and my 14 year old daughter just asks that I take the " good ones " out and she'll get rid of the rest !! foreheadslap.gif

Oh well , I'm still working on the both of them.