• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just saw The Punisher Movie -- NO SPOILERS

96 posts in this topic

I left the theater with the same stunned feeling after watching Memento: wtf did I just watch?

memento was fricking brillant! acclaim.gif the movie is/runs backwards, he got his revenge on the killer of his wife a long time ago. but he can't remember since he forgets, so it's constantly ongoing.gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

I'm afraid there won't be enough positive word of mouth for the 2nd weekend. Punisher was worse than Matrix 2. Found it too violent & lacked the spiffy soundtrack found in KB 2. I left the theater with the same stunned feeling after watching Memento: wtf did I just watch? It's not even worth the discount price I paid for the ticket! makepoint.gif All that painful viewing & I did not even get my free comic. tongue.gif

The next movie that is going up against KB2 and the Punisher will be Van Helsing which doesn't come out until May 7th. There will be a lot of repeat business for the Punisher for people who need their action fix.

I left the theater with the same stunned feeling after watching Memento: wtf did I just watch?

memento was fricking brillant! acclaim.gif the movie is/runs backwards, he got his revenge on the killer of his wife a long time ago. but he can't remember since he forgets, so it's constantly ongoing.gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

Agree! One of the best movies in the last 10 years. However, it was my impression that he actually is the one that killed his wife. He was "Sammy Jenkis" (the guy that he talked about over medicating his wife). confused-smiley-013.gif

Memento was great. But did we watch the same movie. He was the one who killed his wife. His amnesia and search for the "killer" was his mind blocking out the fact that he killed her. He was basically a serial killer and chose to continue being a serial killer when he killed the cop that revealed what had happened.

Memento was great. But did we watch the same movie. He was the one who killed his wife. His amnesia and search for the "killer" was his mind blocking out the fact that he killed her. He was basically a serial killer and chose to continue being a serial killer when he killed the cop that revealed what had happened.

What he said....That's what I was trying to say in the post above yours.

Here is a scan of the free comic for those of you interested:

punisher.jpg

Wouldn't it made more sense to have a issue of PUNISHER WAR ZONE as the FREEBIE comic. Afterall the movie does have a lot more in common with that comic story line. A lot of parts in the movie were taken from that story. I know ASM #129 is a big deal, but it didn't make sence to have it as a freebie with this movie. I would think it would confuse people about PUNISHER more then anything. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Was it me or did the Saint address look like the Fantastic Four logo?

Yep I thought the same thing.

Just saw the film. I liked it, but it didn't feel fresh or original because of the bevy of vigilante films already out there. Perhaps if this had come out before the Rambo films, it would have been more significant, but after watching guys like Charles Bronson, Clint Eastwood, Van Damme, Swarzenegger, or Steven Seagal play more or less the same character over the last few decades, it felt like more of the same. Still quite likable though.

It didn't feel as intense or as resolute as the Garth Ennis Punisher issues. Kevin Nash did OK with the insane grinning expression as the Russian, but he suffered from the same symptom that Tyler Mane did in X-Men--his character got reduced to a grunting insufficiently_thoughtful_person because I can only assume they didn't think Nash could project the personality Ennis wrote into the Russian in the comic. blush.gif

If they make punisher 2 what will his motivation be next time?

The same thing it's always been in the comics--deep-seeded hatred for the scumbags of the world projected into a desire to "punish" them. The origin story is out of the way, and now I would assume he goes to being a killing machine who occasionally stumbles across his mostly lost humanity.