• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you remove a color touch?

251 posts in this topic

Roy,

I don't know you or Nik (or anyone else on this thread for matter) either but your explanation is good enough for me. Seems like this was a sale between a knowledgeable seller and buyer. If he was a good friend of yours, I find it difficult to believe that you would tell him a lie that would be exposed only days later in the CL auction.

And even if there was a misunderstanding, should it matter? Do friends normally sell CGC books to each other (even if for personal collections) at discounts to fair value? I like my friends but I don't give them free money without a good reason (comic collection wouldn't qualify).

Or what about when we ate at Shoeless Joes the first time we were in Chicago. Remember, you owed me for a Fine ish JiM 118 and we agreed you would pay my part of the bill and we would be square? The night where not only did you get the book but you, for the first time, skipped out on the bill and, amazingly, Nik picked up the difference? He also refused to let me pay him for my part once I figured out what happened?

Arex, even now upon you mentioning it, I have no recollection of that conversation. Zero. None at all.

What I need to say is that I was quite the party animal in those days. Don't think anyone will disagree with me about that as I had a reputation for being able to drink more than anyone else on the forums...my friends at work joked that I drank more in $$ than they earned. Do you know of any other forum members mooning the entire Chicago crowd from the 11th floor of an elevator and having pictures to prove it?

:eek:

That drinking has caused me problems with my memory many times. To this day my daughter will ask me if I remember something her and I did and I don't. I have to say that I'm not proud of it, but that is the truth. I will make right what I said i would do, and apologize for forgetting.

:foryou:

Or how about when you bailed on a large chunk of dinner at Chicago? Then only tossed in money to make yourself look good? This is after Nik, Greggy, and Angelo and probably others tossed in huge coin themselves?

You're talking about the Greektown dinner 2007 or 2008, right?

Louise and I actually shared a meal, which is our custom. It's a romantic tradition that we have done since we first met. We sit side by side (never across from each other), we share a meal (because we are not big eaters late at night and hate to waste food) and I think it's kind of romantic to share a meal. I was the one that started it, I believe.

I put in whatever I thought may have been fair that night...likely $50-70 or so.

One thing I do know about that night is people were upset that a large portion of the table was ordering drinks and that the people who were not drinking should not have to pony up for the people who were. I have no problem with that, and in fact agree. The problem we had was that the bill for 30+ people came to about $1600 with tip and we only collected about $1000!

doh!

There were a LOT of people not paying up for that meal and I was not one of them.

After taking up a collection we were around $600 short. I tossed in somewhere between $350-400 to make up the difference and Nik tossed in $250.

I was surprised that we were that short but i didn't hold it against anyone.

I just found out recently (a few years after the Chicago Greektown incident above) that already on the subway car back from that Greektown dinner that a small group of people were asking if "anyone" saw Roy put in money.

Again, nobody asked me a thing. This just went on and on behind my back.

Maybe because of the Shoeless Joes incident, your vision of me was already tainted, but if you remember (not sure if you were there or not) after I settled up the bill with Nik, I went on to buy a round of shots for a group of people just before we walked out the door. Ask Mutant Keys as he was one of them.

Remember the partying thing from the previous paragraph? Well, I have never, ever been cheap when it came to a good time. I might be forgetful (blackouts, anyone?) but never cheap. You will never, ever find a person that has been out with me, that will ever say I have ever been cheap. Forgetful maybe, but never cheap. If you do find one person that can tell you that I was cheap (and I will tell you every bar I have ever been to in the past 20 years to offer you help) i will donate $1000 to your wrestling team.

Rather, all of the places that I frequent know me as a regular and good customer.

(thumbs u

Allow me to bring up one more thing that you forgot to mention...the time when Tupenny "paid" for a meal in NYC for Lou and I and your gang ran with the story and made life hell for me here.

:eyeroll:

That was a complete (but funny) cluster of a moment at a forum dinner. Lou and I had arrived late but co-incidentally, Lou and Tupenny had ordered the same dish, but the waitress only brought one meal out. She forgot to bring Tupes dish out earlier. Lou did not realize that Tupenny had ordered the same thing as Tupe, and started eating it. Tupe was a little taken a-back as he saw Lou eating "his" meal (but Lou didn't know it was his) and Tupe was having such a good time that he forewent the meal and continued to drink with me instead. Tupes then covered the tab.

The following day, Tupenny casually mentioned off the cuff that Lou ate his meal and paid for it all in front of Watson and whomever was at Dale's booth in NYC. And what do you think happened? Watson spread word of it to your group and your group ran with it spreading rumours that I don't pay for meals.

doh!

Tupenny and I are good friends and we happily pay for each others meals. In fact, he came up to Toronto with his wife for New Years Eve and I blew $700 on just booze (we split hotel, cabs and new years eve dinner tickets). I'm not bragging. I'm simply trying to show you that I don't mind spending money for fun. That Florida fish can drink!

Arex, (or anyone reading this) if you ever want to verify a story, just go to the frigging source before you run with it to make sure it's true before you try and give it legs. Otherwise you can do a lot of damage.

Or how about the statement that Hitler wasnt evil because what he thought what he was doing was the right thing?

Hitler was an inhumane person that did horrible things. What he did was absolutely wrong. My position on evil in regards to Hitler was a philosophical position I took because I believe that humans are incapable of being evil in and of themselves. I believe it comes from external forces. If you missed it, I created a thread specifically to clarify that point a couple of years ago as many people got offended and I apologized for it.

Or how about having Dale hold a GSX-1 and another high dollar book in Chicago that you were going to get them. Then you show up on Sunday and tell him you are going to pass? Then you complain and belly-ache on the boards because Harley sold a book out from underneath you. Funny how keeping Dale from having the chance to sell two big dollar books doesnt get mentioned.

Another thing I don't remember but I believe you and I will have to go back to Dale and talk to him about it.

What I will say is that dealers (I was a mini dealer in the making at the time) often put a book away to think about it and sometimes they purchase it and sometimes they don't. It's like putting a book on hold in the selling forum. It happens. Dale does it, Harely does it...we all do it. Sometimes they put the book back and sometimes they buy it. I will say that 2007 or 2008 (which is likely when the incident happened) was nearly 4 years ago, and it was early on in my con experiences (I drank harder back then than I do now as I went through a few personal struggles), and it is something that I am very careful with now, even if I was careless about it in the past.

Like I said, I'll talk to Dale about it. As far as I know, Dale and I (and Lou) are good friends.

I now (and have for several years) make it a solid point to ask a dealer if they mind holding a book for me, give them a time when the books should be put back if i don't return in case something happens to me (it's generally before the start of the show) and pay promptly when I take books. And I pay as agreed upon by myself and the seller.

I actually have a really good reputation among dealers. I have never stiffed a dealer, I pay as agreed and they are happy to see me return show after show. I have a terrific relationship with Bob Storms (as bad tempered as he can be :baiting: ), with Harley, Dale Roberts, Brian Peets...pretty much everyone.

There are a few dealers I won't deal with and I have my reasons for that but it's not because I did anything negative to them.

The incidents that happened with other dealers, where I complained here on the forums about getting Roy'd on a book, was when there was a formal handshake agreement (and even multiple handshakes in one case), payment terms were worked out and then the dealer subsequently pulled the book out of the agreement because he found he could get more money for it elsewhere. That is something I never have and never will do.

This is an entirely different thing than me asking Dale to hold a book, is unethical...heck its immoral...and I have to point out that it did not happen with Harley. Harley is as far as I am aware, a man of his word. Harley was a partner on the book and but the deal was broken by another dealer. Both times the same one.

:tonofbricks:

when in the process of negotiation, disclose your reason for purchasing a book.
New Board Rule :preach:

I'd love to see all the dealers do this lol

How about to crack out and take pizz upon :shrug:

Because I am sure that between both of us yelling at each other is a great way to draw attention at a con.

I don't understand why we would have to yell or attract attention. I'm a peaceful person and always interested in getting to the bottom of the matter. The truth. The good book teaches us to go to the person that offends you and talk to them face to face. It's not like I'm some Joe Schmoe that just joined. At the very least I'd expect you to talk to me face to face if you have a problem with me before trying to slag my name on the internet. It's the same courtesy I'd extend to you considering we were once amicable with each other.

And possibly for me my first time getting arrested and for you at least the second time.

My arrest (Arex is alluding to my NYC Con Report a few years ago) was an awesome, humbling experience that showed me a dark side of life that I had never experienced before. I was completely innocent, it was drunken tomfoolery that I got taken up in, in NYC, and I was released the following day with all charges dropped. It was one of the greatest learning experiences of my life so stop trying to paint it as a negative.

(shrug)

Im very comfortable knowing that im not perfect. I also am very comfortable knowing that I dont have to figure out how to weasel my way out of another "misunderstanding" or whatever word you want to use when you get caught doing something dubious again. Cause it isnt a question of if, just when with you.

Ive farked up before. I said things to David before that I should have never done. I still feel bad about what I said. And this is after I squared things up with him. There are many things I know I have screwed up on and take pains every day to try and make sure I dont do the same things again. I try to live my life doing what is right and doing right by others. You, for some reason, I have trouble doing that. So, after this post, ill fix that myself.

Perhaps it is a personal weakness that I hound people who profess to be one thing but continue to show time and again that what they say and what they do are different.

So, go do what you do, play the big shot with OPM, and sleep well at night. Im done spending energy on you, your shifting ethics, etc. because Im done. Refute what I say as is your right.

To paraphrase Chief Joseph "From where the Sun now sets, I will speak no more to you, forever". Im done, ive said things that I have been meaning to say for a long time. I feel better already.

Arex, you and I are on the same page.

I'm weak, and full of failings. I believe that it's mercy and forgiveness that allows things to move forward. I apologize for my weakness often, as I realize that I am human. I have a bad temper at times, I bite off more than I can chew often, I'm late to ship, I'm often either working too hard or playing too hard with no moderation...but I am not and never have been a dishonest person.

These stories have been circulating for years behind my back without me knowing about them. With a simple email or a conversation they could have been nipped in the bud.

Instead, they have grown and taken a life of their own.

I understand you Arex.

You live in the South, are fairly quiet and modest and are likely conservative, and I am a loud mouthed city slicker who like to party, listen to Rock and Roll and make 40,000 racy, colourful posts on a chat forum and post lots of pictures of himself.

You simply don't like me personally. I grate on you. You told me in so many words once. ;)

I don't blame you. I'm not everyone's cup of tea. Just don't try to paint me as a bad man because you don't like my fashion sense and social etiquette because the two are very different.

It's much easier to stay angry at someone you don't know personally than really get to know them.

If you take the time to read my posts in this thread (and i hope that you do...heck, I hope everyone takes the time as this is a big burden lifted), you'll see that there are no things for me to weasel out of. Most of it is just gossip and rumour on the part of you and your posse (sometimes even innocently), and that story changes like when you are playing broken telephone.

Some gossip grows through time as Sharon has shown me again just how many faces a story can have...thank you Sharon for being open with me.

Since my "conversion" about 20 years ago, and since the birth of my children, I always been one to try and stand for the truth, nothing more. Not even at the cost of a sale.

I dont remember seeing you in Charlotte. I sure as hell didnt go out of my way to avoid you.

So, good luck to you Roy in all you do. I say that will all honesty. But as I said earlier. Im done. Ill go along doing what I do, you go along doing what you do, and I can honestly say I will never reply to another one of your posts again.

And I can honestly say that I hope we meet and talk sometime. Face to face. calmly as men, and sort through everything until no stone is left un-turned.

I'd gladly take the opportunity take make right where I have wronged you and get to know each other better.

Gang, that's it for me. I'm spent. I truly appreciate the opportunity in getting my side of the story out. If I've offended anyone with my voluminous posts it was not intentional. It's just a lot to digest in a short time.

If anyone has any questions, I am open to talking about them via PM or on here. Post freely.

I'll check back in tomorrow and hopefully this thread is still here.

Thanks.

R.

Hey gang,

I'm tee-total. Anything else you've heard is just rumours. Thanks for letting me clear that up. (thumbs u

Hey gang,

I'm tee-total. Anything else you've heard is just rumours. Thanks for letting me clear that up. (thumbs u

Nice. That was really positive.

In the interest of making the boards a better place and clearing out some of the sewage that has been stewing here for years, I'd be happy to discuss anything you like.

All I ask is that you try to keep it from becoming a personal attack and keep it above board.

(thumbs u

Last time I did that Roy all of my posts got pulled, so what's the point? You will defend it all anyway and make out that removing CT and labelling it as a bindery chip is just fine. You will spin the fact that you say you disclose pressing here on the boards, where in reality you have listed at least one book that has been pressed undisclosed and even left out the name of the collection it came from, so that that is all fine and dandy as well.

You're all for truth 'even at the price of a sale'? Pull the other one Roy.

No doubt this post will disappear at some point, so I'll make it my last towards you Roy, and I mean that in all honesty. I'll just ignore your posts claiming you're this and that when in fact you're completely the opposite. I'll admit I'm just a bottom feeder who likes the occasional drink, and there's no way I can compete with someone who's a legend in their own imagination.

Well I'm glad you guys can at least get some krap off your chests. I'm not taking sides because a lot of this is news to me but just want to share a story. When I first came on these boards I knew jack about proper grading. Saw that Arex was looking for some FF's and I had a bunch I had owned for 20+ years and did a small sale of about a dozen books. I totally missed the grades [mainly because I didn't give them a proper once over] on them and when Arex brought it to my attention I felt awful [man this is so many years ago now the details are allittle foggy] but I recall wanting to make it up to him 10 fold. Things could have went sour from then on but I'm glad we were able to resolve it and move forward. Since then I can easily say that Arex has been my closest buds on these boards, by a country mile, even though I have never met the guy in person. He has helped me receive and ship hundreds of books on my behalf over the years [he is sitting on a pile of them right now :baiting::whistle: ] and is always willing to listen to my nonsense, I still owe him big time. Anyways that's my warm and fuzzy post for 2011 so my apologies for side tracking the hippy vs the hick saga. :grin::popcorn:

Last time I did that Roy all of my posts got pulled, so what's the point?

Gav, for the record I had nothing to do with that other thread getting pulled. I was all for the discussion until some nasty board member made a nasty post and had it locked up.

You will defend it all anyway and make out that removing CT and labelling it as a bindery chip is just fine.

The colour touch was on a bindery chip before i removed it (it wouldn't need to be colour touched if it wasn't chipped, right?).

I removed the paper, it was still a bindery chip (both before and after).

I apologized for the choice of wording (for using the word bindery), I explained how I didn't think it was important what was on the chip that was missing since the book was scanned clearly and graded properly, but said I wouldn't do it again and changed the description. The book went to a board member who knew the full history.

I gave a clear explanation then, and now. I understand that some people dislike the removal of paper from comics but outside of that is there anything else that can be done here? I'm being as transparent about the situation as I can be.

(shrug)

You will spin the fact that you say you disclose pressing here on the boards, where in reality you have listed at least one book that has been pressed and even left out the name of the collection it came from, so that that is all fine and dandy as well.

You're all for truth 'even at the price of a sale'? Pull the other one Roy.

No spin whatsoever. It's clear as day.

Date I sold the book was April 20-2010

Date I said I would pro-actively disclose was October 13-2010

The book was sold by me on the boards but was not owned by me. For that reason it was described just as it had appeared...a CGC graded book out of respect to the owner of the book at the time.

As you can see by my links, the book was also put for sale before we had the discussion on disclosure and before I said that I would pro-actively disclose pressing here on the boards. Since that post was made by me about pro-active disclosure, I have disclosed pressing on every book that I have known to be pressed and also disclosed which books have not been pressed.

The very people that you prefer to associate with on these boards were one time non-disclosing pressers too.

(shrug)

Again, not sure what the issue is? That I didn't mention that it was a Mound City book? Did that matter, when CGC didn't put it on the label the first or second time around? You realize that it was not a pedigree collection. Just "a" collection.

I'm honestly trying to understand, is it necessary to disclose where every book comes from now?

No doubt this post will disappear at some point, so I'll make it my last towards you Roy, and I mean that in all honesty. I'll just ignore your posts claiming you're this and that when in fact you're completely the opposite. I'll admit I'm just a bottom feeder who likes the occasional drink, and there's no way I can compete with someone who's a legend in their own imagination.

I certainly hope that this thread doesn't disappear (and that it doesn't devolve into name calling).

I'm not making myself out to be a legend at all. I apologize if it sounds like I'm bragging about how much money I used to spend on booze. That wasn't my intention or my point at all. I was simply trying to show that there is just no way in hell that I am that cheap that I mooch meals off of people, which was the rumour that was started.

In short, I am simply relaying everything I know about every story as I know it to have happened from my POV and not withholding any details. I am being completely transparent about it all to the best of my ability.

Or is it better that stories about me just circulate out there without my 2c being added?

(shrug)

Did you even bother to read my posts?

What if the color touch is on the back cover? Someone tried to sell me a comic CGC PLOD 9.4 and told me the color touch was on the backcover according to the notes.No color touch on front,just back. He suggested that I buy it off him and then rip or cut the color touch off the back cover then resubmit. Since this book was valued in the thousands, and I didn`t know what I was doing. I steered cleared away from it. He eventually sold it to someone else. His theory was people are more forgiving with color touch on the backcover than the frontcover and it would have presented nicely.

A lot of people are more forgiving of a back cover defect. It's the PLOD label causing the problem. I have an X-Men #8 that's 9.4 from the front and 9.0 from back. It's still a gorgeous book.

th_xmen8front.jpg

Or what about when we ate at Shoeless Joes the first time we were in Chicago. Remember, you owed me for a Fine ish JiM 118 and we agreed you would pay my part of the bill and we would be square? The night where not only did you get the book but you, for the first time, skipped out on the bill and, amazingly, Nik picked up the difference? He also refused to let me pay him for my part once I figured out what happened?

Arex, even now upon you mentioning it, I have no recollection of that conversation. Zero. None at all.

What I need to say is that I was quite the party animal in those days. Don't think anyone will disagree with me about that as I had a reputation for being able to drink more than anyone else on the forums...my friends at work joked that I drank more in $$ than they earned. Do you know of any other forum members mooning the entire Chicago crowd from the 11th floor of an elevator and having pictures to prove it?

:eek:

That drinking has caused me problems with my memory many times. To this day my daughter will ask me if I remember something her and I did and I don't. I have to say that I'm not proud of it, but that is the truth. I will make right what I said i would do, and apologize for forgetting.

Or how about when you bailed on a large chunk of dinner at Chicago? Then only tossed in money to make yourself look good? This is after Nik, Greggy, and Angelo and probably others tossed in huge coin themselves?

You're talking about the Greektown dinner 2007 or 2008, right?

Louise and I actually shared a meal, which is our custom. It's a romantic tradition that we have done since we first met. We sit side by side (never across from each other), we share a meal (because we are not big eaters late at night and hate to waste food) and I think it's kind of romantic to share a meal. I was the one that started it, I believe.

I put in whatever I thought may have been fair that night...likely $50-70 or so.

One thing I do know about that night is people were upset that a large portion of the table was ordering drinks and that the people who were not drinking should not have to pony up for the people who were. I have no problem with that, and in fact agree. The problem we had was that the bill for 30+ people came to about $1600 with tip and we only collected about $1000!

doh!

There were a LOT of people not paying up for that meal and I was not one of them.

After taking up a collection we were around $600 short. I tossed in somewhere between $350-400 to make up the difference and Nik tossed in $250.

I was surprised that we were that short but i didn't hold it against anyone.

I just found out recently (a few years after the Chicago Greektown incident above) that already on the subway car back from that Greektown dinner that a small group of people were asking if "anyone" saw Roy put in money.

Again, nobody asked me a thing. This just went on and on behind my back.

Maybe because of the Shoeless Joes incident, your vision of me was already tainted, but if you remember (not sure if you were there or not) after I settled up the bill with Nik, I went on to buy a round of shots for a group of people just before we walked out the door. Ask Mutant Keys as he was one of them.

Remember the partying thing from the previous paragraph? Well, I have never, ever been cheap when it came to a good time. I might be forgetful (blackouts, anyone?) but never cheap. You will never, ever find a person that has been out with me, that will ever say I have ever been cheap. Forgetful maybe, but never cheap. If you do find one person that can tell you that I was cheap (and I will tell you every bar I have ever been to in the past 20 years to offer you help) i will donate $1000 to your wrestling team.

Rather, all of the places that I frequent know me as a regular and good customer.

(thumbs u

Allow me to bring up one more thing that you forgot to mention...the time when Tupenny "paid" for a meal in NYC for Lou and I and your gang ran with the story and made life hell for me here.

:eyeroll:

That was a complete (but funny) cluster of a moment at a forum dinner. Lou and I had arrived late but co-incidentally, Lou and Tupenny had ordered the same dish, but the waitress only brought one meal out. She forgot to bring Tupes dish out earlier. Lou did not realize that Tupenny had ordered the same thing as Tupe, and started eating it. Tupe was a little taken a-back as he saw Lou eating "his" meal (but Lou didn't know it was his) and Tupe was having such a good time that he forewent the meal and continued to drink with me instead. Tupes then covered the tab.

The following day, Tupenny casually mentioned off the cuff that Lou ate his meal and paid for it all in front of Watson and whomever was at Dale's booth in NYC. And what do you think happened? Watson spread word of it to your group and your group ran with it spreading rumours that I don't pay for meals.

doh!

Tupenny and I are good friends and we happily pay for each others meals. In fact, he came up to Toronto with his wife for New Years Eve and I blew $700 on just booze (we split hotel, cabs and new years eve dinner tickets). I'm not bragging. I'm simply trying to show you that I don't mind spending money for fun. That Florida fish can drink!

Arex, (or anyone reading this) if you ever want to verify a story, just go to the frigging source before you run with it to make sure it's true before you try and give it legs. Otherwise you can do a lot of damage.

Or how about the statement that Hitler wasnt evil because what he thought what he was doing was the right thing?

Hitler was an inhumane person that did horrible things. What he did was absolutely wrong. My position on evil in regards to Hitler was a philosophical position I took because I believe that humans are incapable of being evil in and of themselves. I believe it comes from external forces. If you missed it, I created a thread specifically to clarify that point a couple of years ago as many people got offended and I apologized for it.

Or how about having Dale hold a GSX-1 and another high dollar book in Chicago that you were going to get them. Then you show up on Sunday and tell him you are going to pass? Then you complain and belly-ache on the boards because Harley sold a book out from underneath you. Funny how keeping Dale from having the chance to sell two big dollar books doesnt get mentioned.

Another thing I don't remember but I believe you and I will have to go back to Dale and talk to him about it.

What I will say is that dealers (I was a mini dealer in the making at the time) often put a book away to think about it and sometimes they purchase it and sometimes they don't. It's like putting a book on hold in the selling forum. It happens. Dale does it, Harely does it...we all do it. Sometimes they put the book back and sometimes they buy it. I will say that 2007 or 2008 (which is likely when the incident happened) was nearly 4 years ago, and it was early on in my con experiences (I drank harder back then than I do now as I went through a few personal struggles), and it is something that I am very careful with now, even if I was careless about it in the past.

Like I said, I'll talk to Dale about it. As far as I know, Dale and I (and Lou) are good friends.

I now (and have for several years) make it a solid point to ask a dealer if they mind holding a book for me, give them a time when the books should be put back if i don't return in case something happens to me (it's generally before the start of the show) and pay promptly when I take books. And I pay as agreed upon by myself and the seller.

I actually have a really good reputation among dealers. I have never stiffed a dealer, I pay as agreed and they are happy to see me return show after show. I have a terrific relationship with Bob Storms (as bad tempered as he can be :baiting: ), with Harley, Dale Roberts, Brian Peets...pretty much everyone.

There are a few dealers I won't deal with and I have my reasons for that but it's not because I did anything negative to them.

The incidents that happened with other dealers, where I complained here on the forums about getting Roy'd on a book, was when there was a formal handshake agreement (and even multiple handshakes in one case), payment terms were worked out and then the dealer subsequently pulled the book out of the agreement because he found he could get more money for it elsewhere. That is something I never have and never will do.

This is an entirely different thing than me asking Dale to hold a book, is unethical...heck its immoral...and I have to point out that it did not happen with Harley. Harley is as far as I am aware, a man of his word. Harley was a partner on the book and but the deal was broken by another dealer. Both times the same one.

:tonofbricks:

Roy, since you want brutal honesty....just a few comments...I was sitting across from Bill when you guys arrived late...he was upset, because we had all been waiting for our meals for hours. As a matter of fact, they were so late, my husband and I had to leave, and take the dinners with us. You were there only a few minutes when the food came. Could there have been confusion, sure...but I guess you didn't ask.

The grade difference was only part of what I had heard about the book and Nik, the other issue was the actual timing of the payment, but Nik is not here, so there is no reason to send me PMs.

As for the bindery chip thing, you did change your eBay listing, after pages and pages of dialog where people told you your wording was misleading at best and after making several less specific changes in-between..

You kept defending your personal point of view, which is why I was surprised that you decided to follow the "pack" as you see it, and not disclose pressing on eBay.

I had another post last night, that I erased because I was tired and I wanted to reread it. Since you claim to be an independent thinker (and I think you pride yourself in that) ....why follow the "pack"...and who the heck ARE the pack? All these national dealers, can you name them?

As far as eBay goes, I would bet, if you took a poll, very few people know what pressing is, or how damaging restoration can be viewed by some collectors. So how do you ask a question, when you don't know the issue exists?

I know I didn't know about either problem before I came here.

Now, I have never sold books for a living, so maybe I don't get it, this is of course can only be a personal point of view,but I would not compromise my ethics if I were selling a book on consignment or for a friend

Regarding people not being evil? I have to disagree, strongly...sometimes you post stuff about political, historical issues, that make me doh! ....911, Hitler...you obviously have some "different" ways of looking at things, I know that you asked me a question last summer, that I found a little strange, and when I answered, you kept asking me the same question (since you obviously didn't like my answer), until I realized you just didn't understand. Hopefully, you just don't understand how MOST people feel about Hitler or 911.

Perhaps you should run things by Lou as a filter, she's very logical...might keep you from having to answer these threads..

Tag Team back again check it top

Wreck it - let's begin

Party people let me hear some noise

DC's in the house jump jump and rejoice

There's a party over here

a party over there

Wave your hands in the air

Shake the derriere

These three words mean you're gettin' busy

Whoomp there it is

whoomp there it is

Roy, since you want brutal honesty....just a few comments...I was sitting across from Bill when you guys arrived late...he was upset, because we had all been waiting for our meals for hours. As a matter of fact, they were so late, my husband and I had to leave, and take the dinners with us. You were there only a few minutes when the food came. Could there have been confusion, sure...but I guess you didn't ask...

Sharon, if you're talking about the NYC dinner where Lou and Bill (Tupenny) ordered the same meal, I appreciate you filling me in on it. It seems from what you are saying that service was lousy that night and that confirms what I've already said.

I'm not sure what to say other than that we had arrived late (our timing was beyond our control), Lou ordered a meal, received it and then the confusion ensued. Not sure what I could have asked before hand to clarify the situation as there was no way we could have known that service was running late or that Tupenny did not receive his meal, but we did clarify it afterwards with Tupenny.

Tupenny himself told me that his comments the following day at the con when he made the joking comments about the way the evening had unfolded were meant to be innocent and humorous enough but obviously they weren't taken that why by some people.

My entire point for bringing that meal up was that empty rumours start innocently enough and then people run with them and great damage can be done.

The grade difference was only part of what I had heard about the book and Nik, the other issue was the actual timing of the payment, but Nik is not here, so there is no reason to send me PMs...

All I can say is that the deal was handled with the utmost respect and integrity from my end and that Nik was paid within the time frame we agreed upon and I have a PM exchange explaining that clearly and in detail including dates. I mailed the cheque as requested and it arrived and was cashed immediately upon arrival.

Even though I heard talk of people saying I had not paid for the book until after getting paid by Comiclink, that was another baseless untruth and I have Nik confirming that he had received my cheque well before that via PM.

As for the bindery chip thing, you did change your eBay listing, after pages and pages of dialog where people told you your wording was misleading at best and after making several less specific changes in-between.. ..

I admitted to being a hard head, mainly because I didn't understand the reason for describing something that wasn't actually there any more (ie the missing chip) and was clearly shown in the scans. To me it didn't make any sense, and I have a hard time doing something when it doesn't make sense to me but I did eventually acquiesce, right?

(shrug)

You kept defending your personal point of view, which is why I was surprised that you decided to follow the "pack" as you see it, and not disclose pressing on eBay.

I had another post last night, that I erased because I was tired and I wanted to reread it. Since you claim to be an independent thinker (and I think you pride yourself in that) ....why follow the "pack"...and who the heck ARE the pack? All these national dealers, can you name them?

As far as eBay goes, I would bet, if you took a poll, very few people know what pressing is, or how damaging restoration can be viewed by some collectors. So how do you ask a question, when you don't know the issue exists?

I know I didn't know about either problem before I came here.

Now, I have never sold books for a living, so maybe I don't get it, this is of course can only be a personal point of view,but I would not compromise my ethics if I were selling a book on consignment or for a friend

I don't consider pressing an ethical subject at all (nor do many others on these forums), although I can understand how some people might. To many it's just a business decision, not a personal one. Still, out of respect for those in this community, I choose to disclose it on the forums. I'm not here to point fingers or name names of who does and does not disclose.

Just to be clear, the type of books that I sell (very high grade CGC graded Silver and Bronze) have a specific following and almost every buyer of mine with the exception of a very small percentage is not only fully aware of pressing but also of these forums.

It's already been discussed in detail over the years, people have made their posts and sides have been chosen. This isn't a pressing debate nor should it start to resemble one. I think we've had enough of those. For me, as it is for others, it's a simple business decision and I have several reasons as to why I made those decisions. People can make their choices without having to explain why they made them but if you'd really like to know I'd be happy to either explain it to you via PM or in person when I see you next (not sure if you're going to be in Philly this weekend).

Regarding people not being evil? I have to disagree, strongly...sometimes you post stuff about political, historical issues, that make me doh! ....911, Hitler...you obviously have some "different" ways of looking at things, I know that you asked me a question last summer, that I found a little strange, and when I answered, you kept asking me the same question (since you obviously didn't like my answer), until I realized you just didn't understand. Hopefully, you just don't understand how MOST people feel about Hitler or 911.

Perhaps you should run things by Lou as a filter, she's very logical...might keep you from having to answer these threads..

Sharon, you may have forgotten this but you and I already covered this in detail when I posted a formal apology for any misunderstandings in the Water Cooler and you replied.

reply 1

reply 2

Admittedly, I'm sometimes tunnel visioned in my debates and miss the forest for the trees while playing devil's advocate, take a philosophical position or simply get detached in a discussion that could be sensitive to some but let me make clear that I have never said or implied that what Hitler did was not wrong, atrocious or a crime against humanity. It was utterly wrong. Ditto for 9/11. They were evil acts with no grey area there.

In closing, the question I had asked you last year in person was directly related to my understanding of something (I don't even remember exactly what we were talking about except that it was related to religion), which I studied in detail and yes you are correct in saying that I did not understand your answer hence my rephrasing of the same question more than once.

Gang, if anyone else has any questions or comments I'm open to discussion.

I just ask that it be kept above board and from becoming personal so that the thread stays open.

(thumbs u