• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG responds to accusations of doctored ASM 68 scan.......

28 posts in this topic

So.....After reading the post I quoted above, I don't know why LordRhal seems to have aquired so much respect around here as his statement is ridiculous and without merit. Calling CGG frauds is way out of line. Because he and some others are not satisfied with the explanation of the scan does not mean CGG's statement is false. Yes, the explanation is not that great, but that does not mean there was any wrong doing.

Many of us feel the same way Lordrahl does, but just are not as eloquent hi.gif Funny but I could take your paragraph, switch a couple of letters and use it to defend CGC as well as many times on this forum, folks have gone off half-cocked about some supposed wrong CGC has committed and the rest of the verbal diarrhea starts flowing like it was 'Pork and Beans' day and there's no Immodium in sight....

"Calling CGC frauds is way out of line. Because he and some others are not satisfied with the explanation of the(scan/pressing/Pay Copy/motives behind Signature Series/being in bed with bigtime national dealers/forcing Overstreet's hand to align itself with CGC policy/BS gripe of the day...you name it) does not mean CGC's statement is false. Yes, the explanation is not that great, but that does not mean there was any wrong doing."

You think the anti CGC-camp would kick back and say "Oh, I guess we were wrong and so sorry for having wasted everyone's time with my libel/slander" 893blahblah.gif You are living in a dream world... sleeping.gif

You think that I'm out of line by calling them frauds? I think you're forgetting that I'm the one that bought the blue label CGG books that came back restored from CGC. I see the evidence that has been presented in all these threads from a different perspective because I KNOW that I didn't touch the books before sending them to CGC. Everyone else can have doubts about this, and I'm sure some people do. I KNOW those books were restored when CGG graded them as unrestored because there simply is no other explanation, unless you want to believe that CGC employees trimmed and color touched them, which is ridiculous. Then CGG lied and said they had proof that they were unrestored and proceeded to send a doctored scan as "proof". Why not just admit that they missed the resto? When asked about that scan all they gave was double talk that did not answer the question. Maybe it was a low level employee that did it? Give me a break. This is a garage-band operation, there are no low level emloyees. And why would a low level employee take the time and effort to doctor a scan if he was not instructed to do so? I'd like to know exactly what CGG has said and or done throughout this whole situation that inspires so much confidence in you that they are not guilty? I really don't care if you choose to use CGG, I just don't understand the unwavering support in this case when they have done everything possible to look guilty short of admitting that they are guilty.

You think that I'm out of line by calling them frauds? I think you're forgetting that I'm the one that bought the blue label CGG books that came back restored from CGC. I see the evidence that has been presented in all these threads from a different perspective because I KNOW that I didn't touch the books before sending them to CGC. Everyone else can have doubts about this, and I'm sure some people do. I KNOW those books were restored when CGG graded them as unrestored because there simply is no other explanation, unless you want to believe that CGC employees trimmed and color touched them, which is ridiculous. Then CGG lied and said they had proof that they were unrestored and proceeded to send a doctored scan as "proof". Why not just admit that they missed the resto? When asked about that scan all they gave was double talk that did not answer the question. Maybe it was a low level employee that did it? Give me a break. This is a garage-band operation, there are no low level emloyees. And why would a low level employee take the time and effort to doctor a scan if he was not instructed to do so? I'd like to know exactly what CGG has said and or done throughout this whole situation that inspires so much confidence in you that they are not guilty? I really don't care if you choose to use CGG, I just don't understand the unwavering support in this case when they have done everything possible to look guilty short of admitting that they are guilty.

See, there it is again...Pure eloquence... 893applaud-thumb.gif

LR, I definitely am with you here. I can empathize getting screwed hardcore and feeling frustrated because a service/dealer/seller you placed a transactional trust in let you down and is lying to you, trying to place the fault with you and getting others to question your integrity in the process (straw breaking camel's back... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif )...makes you want to drop the hobby altogether...too much of a headache and bother from where you are sitting. Or it certainly dampens one's zest for collecting...

I am buying and getting graded Zero, 100 percent I might not be able to put them out of business , but really it is just my gut feelling with them and how they stumbled out of the gate so badly in my opinion. They obviously can grade so can a lot of people on this board.I wish them the best of luck and really was hopeful they could turn it around but just am not really seeing it in my eye.Sid you sound to be still sold on them and I can respect that as not everybody see things the same way.One question for you Sid with CGG here goes.Are you seeing the diffrence between the money that you send to CGG as gaining more money after grading fees and the cost to ship the books there as opposed to selling the books Raw yourself? As you do have great feedback and I am sure you would stand behind your grading!

Davidking623

Hi Sid could you answer this with a PM if you like I am really wondering is all!

Davidking623

I am buying and getting graded Zero, 100 percent I might not be able to put them out of business , but really it is just my gut feelling with them and how they stumbled out of the gate so badly in my opinion. They obviously can grade so can a lot of people on this board.I wish them the best of luck and really was hopeful they could turn it around but just am not really seeing it in my eye.Sid you sound to be still sold on them and I can respect that as not everybody see things the same way.One question for you Sid with CGG here goes.Are you seeing the diffrence between the money that you send to CGG as gaining more money after grading fees and the cost to ship the books there as opposed to selling the books Raw yourself? As you do have great feedback and I am sure you would stand behind your grading!

Davidking623

Hi Sid could you answer this with a PM if you like I am really wondering is all!

Davidking623

Hi David, yeah I'm done debating the CGG thing but I don't mind answering this question. For me it is pretty much the same as with CGC. Mostly. I have sold maybe 100 or so CGG slabs and from that experience the high grades sell for the big multiples and the mid-grades (5.0 - 8.0) have been somewhat disappointing. But I have had the same relative experience with the CGC slabs. Unfortunately many of my modern CGG books have come in several grades lower than I expected. If I had known that, I would not have sent them in. I was expecting some 9.6 or 9.8 Uncanny X-Men (around the #150-250 range) which came back in 9.2 and 9.4. In that case the cost of slabbing is not worth it. But for the older books that I received in 8.5 to 9.2 I did very well. Slab to slab I would say the same book in the same grade may bring in a 25% premium for a CGC over a CGG from my experience, and since the CGG book is actually graded more strictly, the buyer of the CGG graded book is most likely getting a better book for less cost. But for me I just offset it with the much shorter turnaround time. I love CGC but as many of my books are appropriate for Economy class, I just can't stand the 3 months + wait.

Anyway, to sum it up, due to CGG's stricter than CGC's Modern grading, the cost of the slabs to me really is not worth it if my books are going to be coming back in 9.2 or 9.4 with a few 9.6s if I'm lucky. I like to be reasonably secure that I can expect alot of 9.6 and 9.8, and with CGC I can usually pick 'em right. Older books in lessor grade are always worth the slab as there are so many untrusting buyers of raw books out there. Even though my feedback is great with plenty of accurate grading comments, still, those raw sales don't compare with CGC or CGG graded books (unless like I said before that modern has a 9.4 or less). -----Sid