• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CI would have a field day with this week's Comic quiz

45 posts in this topic

I just emailed this in reply to Gemma:

Based on the question's phrasing - shouldn't the answer be John Broome? You do mention Hal Jordan and Bester created it for the Alan Scott Green Lantern; however the phrasing of the oath is Bester's version??? confused.gif

What do you guys think?

he got REALLY MAD because people didn't get behind him and offer to burn down the Metropolis offices after the "butter incident." Or something like that. He basically said he was taking his ball and going home.

here's CI's farewell post:

"This will be my last post here for a long while, since it's obvious (at least hopefully for your sake) that if I stated the Earth was not flat, I'd have clobberingtime, banner and the rest of the brain trust disagreeing vehemently with me.

I think I'll leave you guys to your fairy tales and put my time towards more enjoyable pursuits than trying to dissuade you from believing in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and the fact that 25-year old butter would not decay or mold over time.

You're an engineer right? I hope to God it's not anyway related to the chemical end of things. "

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicsmarket&Number=75445&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=3&o=31&fpart=all

I don't know, I was just taking my information off the web page that Carl found as well! According to that, the oath which contains "Beware my power" is credited to Alfred Bester, and is used by Jordan in Showcase 22. The oath attributed to John Broome is in GL 13 and contains the line "Fear not my power". Gemma's question specifically used the line "Beware my power".

CI did provide an answer to this week's trivia. I thought he was not going to participate in it anymore. Didn't he start a thread about "swearing off" the trivia contest??? And yes, this week's question is confusing if you think about it.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

Oh! I read that. I didn't think he was serious about leaving. I feel that all the butter comments that I made, were more in support of him, not disagreeing w/ him. I thought we were all having a good time with his rendition of a pedrigree tale, and making jokes about the butter that was found "preserved" in Devil's Lake. Guess he didn't feel the same. I hope he comes back.

Chris

Where does Marty Nodell fit into all of this? Was he only the artist of GA Green Lantern? I thought he created the character including having a hand in his power-up speech. I could be wrong though.... confused.gif

Jim

another good point andy that I failed to mention. Very confusing. Hope you get to keep the prize but now with the wording of the oath in consideration, Bester is the correct answer. Still confused.

As to CI's post - I thought he was only kidding and taking time off so that he could spend time with his nieces and nephews. He seems to be a good person despite his glum outlook and being my board archnemesis smile.gif Probably he's got another family Christmas gathering where each relative whips out the longbox of Byrne's and they wax philosophical about who's the better artist and if Cockrum was the Yoko of the X-Men creative team at the time.

Actually I beleive his last post was that hilarious Pedigree story about the haunted house and the mac and cheese eerily found still smoking hot as the boys had left it, and slabbing the dead dude's hands tongue.gif

I'm not sure that I agree that the question is confusing. To re-cap:

This oath sworn by Hal Jordan when he was the Green Lantern was created by which writer?

"In brightest day in blackest night

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might

Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"

The thing that I focused on was the first part of the question, namely, "THIS oath", which contains THESE words.

I think if the question was phrased as:

The oath sworn by Hal Jordan when he was the Green Lantern was created by which writer?

and left at that it would have been ambigious.

Oh he'll be back...he's as addicted to us as we are to him... laugh.gif

He's just too busy sending rhinestones insured as diamonds all over Canada,hoping they will get shocked.gif swiped

And BTW, Darth and all you guys that had it wrong... please learn to read a webpage, we all got the info from the same fricking page, the one that showed up second in the Google search for 'Green Lantern + Oath' and it clearly states that Alfred Bester wrote the original Oath which was also used by good ole Hal when he first started smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

Yeah, I'm a little PO'ed that I was one entry away (and a measly 7 minuted) from winning the contest two weeks in a row....

Man, can y'all imagine me winning it two weeks in a row..I would have gone all Jens25e on your azzez for dayzzzzzzzz grin.gifgrin.gif

but hey...kudos to localshop, dude enjoy the prize and good on ya !

Oh come on now!!! We Floridans all know that the one true Florida football team lives about 300 miles south of Gainesville!

I'm w/ you , Jim. It's also the most fun town in the world! I have the Gators avatar b/c I lost a bet. frown.gif

Chris