• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fights with your wives or significant others over comics?

100 posts in this topic

Too often, it's not about the money, but envy over more intangible things, like time (attention), space and, even worse, the fact that their husband's have something in their lives that make them happy, and they don't (or can't) find an equivalent. I'd say the blame is 50/50, and it would be equally tragic to give up something you love because your spouse has issues.

I find it odd that you call it envy. If we're not giving our wives the attention they deserve, then why are we getting married in the first place? If your wife found attention elsewhere, say, from another man, wouldn't you be envious or enraged by it?

So many times the things we call hobbies become obsessions. Its one thing to buy comics here or there, its something totally different when you spend the majority of your free time engrossed in collecting.

I get really angry when my husband buys a collection and gets first dibs.

I mean what's mine is mine and what's his is mine right..marriage is 99-1 right....

which means I get 99 go go checks, 100 page giants, precode funny books,goofy old comics and whatever else..for every 1 Scrooge,Superman, Hulk, or EC book he gets

112758.jpg.22a65c67aa1447c8937597045d3457ac.jpg

We really don't argue except on the rare occassion when we like can't decide if we should do the grandkid's room in DC or Marvel characters..or try to teach them diversity...

Our wedding was DC..obviously..

Prefire we used long boxes as coffee tables and such lol I can understand the thought that maybe someone with a very huge collection could have a problem with it..but be honest some girls collect stupid unicorns,or beanie babies, barbies..etc..they don't take up as much room as long boxes but ..a barbie or beanie cannot substitue for a foot stool or end table..

Sometimes wives are just wrong.

+1

I have established a Spock/Sheldon Cooper persona that allows me to dismiss unreasonable demands without even a shrug.

The easiest way to do this is to establish (early on) that not even my mother

can elicit an emotional response from me when she is being unreasonable.

As a result, I am free to ignore all comments that I deem unreasonable.

The only downside is that I'm sometimes cast as an "unfeeling / unemotional" villain,

but if people are unreasonable... then I honestly don't care.

14 years next week. (thumbs u

+1

I have established a Spock/Sheldon Cooper persona that allows me to dismiss unreasonable demands without even a shrug.

The only downside is that I'm sometimes cast as an "unfeeling / unemotional" villain,

:baiting: nerd lol

j/k

I have the ULTIMATE fight story! I am not proud of the events.

In 1991, I was laid off from my job as a commercial artist doing yellow page advertisement design as the company I worked for was purchased and the new owner terminated contracted employees.

My Live in GF at the time ( 7 year long relationship ), tried to be supportive and tried to help me find gainful employment, the issue was: I couldnt find anything that paid more than the unemployment insurance I was collecting. It was un-motivating. In 1991, there was an explosion of desktop computers onto the industry and anyone able to use a computer program could suddenly do graphic work. Hence the pay for these types of jobs dropped drastically. The fights started about "making the most of my life" or "contributing to society", etc. despite the fact I looked after the house, the cooking the cleaning, the shopping.

One time she suggested I could sell my comic collection for some money, I had no desire to sell it at all, to her my collection was something I did before we met, and was a bunch of junk occupying space.

Well, one day ( after a nasty fight over money yet again the night before ) I came home after being away visiting my Mom for the day to find my entire comic collection was gone. The ***** decided to sell/ throw it all away, as it was a bunch of junk taking up way to much space.

Infuriated beyond reasoning, I returned the favor throwing out all but a single pair of her shoes. She had over 50 pairs.

No, we are no longer together.

+1

Bet it flew by for her. :eek:

Well, one day ( after a nasty fight over money yet again the night before ) I came home after being away visiting my Mom for the day to find my entire comic collection was gone. The ***** decided to sell/ throw it all away, as it was a bunch of junk taking up way to much space.

Infuriated beyond reasoning, I returned the favor throwing out all but a single pair of her shoes. She had over 50 pairs.

No, we are no longer together.

Justice!

Edit to contribute to the thread I guess. I've been single since I graduated college about 6 years ago. Met some interesting people but I just like my life simple, I like my time to myself, and I like having everything the way I want it. My days are filled and I can't think of anything I would willingly sacrifice to make room for a relationship. I've never felt lonely, just occasionally bored.

My wife and I get a set $ personal allowance each month, and we're free to spend that amount however we like--NO QUESTIONS ASKED. There are times when both of us wanted to purchase something that was more than we had saved up, and we will take a "loan" out against our allowance with the understanding we simply have to hold off on getting any future allowances until we're "back in black." Obviously, there is an honor system involved here along with self-discipline to adhere to it.

Bottomline is that people should have a little money to themselves, but it should all be done above the table via open lines of communication. If I'm going over on a particular month, I let my wife know. And if bills are a little extra one month (house / car repairs, etc), then we simply have to stick within our means. Our spouses don't need to necessarily "like" the hobbies we have, but there should be an air of mutual respect for one another's individual interests. Open communication is one key to this.

I also find that the one or two times my wife was unhappy with my hobby, it was less about the money I was spending and it had more to do with the time and attention I was paying to her. When she knows 100% that this is just a hobby of mine and that she (and now my children) are my TOP priorities in life, the comics and everything else isn't even issue. My second point is that if she doesn't feel like she has to compete with your comics and side interests, she will probably be less likely to go on the offense against them.

2c

Your sensible, level headed, logical, rational, successful, equitable, calm, and normal way of co existing with your spouse has no place on these boards. (tsk)

Please post again when you become, illogical, spiteful, vindictive, babyish, angry, ornery, horny, pent up, jealous, stoopid, selfish, self important, delusional, and an all around individual_without_enough_empathy! (thumbs u

My wife and I get a set $ personal allowance each month, and we're free to spend that amount however we like--NO QUESTIONS ASKED. There are times when both of us wanted to purchase something that was more than we had saved up, and we will take a "loan" out against our allowance with the understanding we simply have to hold off on getting any future allowances until we're "back in black." Obviously, there is an honor system involved here along with self-discipline to adhere to it.

Bottomline is that people should have a little money to themselves, but it should all be done above the table via open lines of communication. If I'm going over on a particular month, I let my wife know. And if bills are a little extra one month (house / car repairs, etc), then we simply have to stick within our means. Our spouses don't need to necessarily "like" the hobbies we have, but there should be an air of mutual respect for one another's individual interests. Open communication is one key to this.

I also find that the one or two times my wife was unhappy with my hobby, it was less about the money I was spending and it had more to do with the time and attention I was paying to her. When she knows 100% that this is just a hobby of mine and that she (and now my children) are my TOP priorities in life, the comics and everything else isn't even issue. My second point is that if she doesn't feel like she has to compete with your comics and side interests, she will probably be less likely to go on the offense against them.

2c

Your sensible, level headed, logical, rational, successful, equitable, calm, and normal way of co existing with your spouse has no place on these boards. (tsk)

Please post again when you become, illogical, spiteful, vindictive, babyish, angry, ornery, horny, pent up, jealous, stoopid, selfish, self important, delusional, and an all around individual_without_enough_empathy! (thumbs u

You should add "derivative," because you have most of that mess on lock.

2c

2cae3705.png

Dirty mouth!

:censored::ohnoez::censored::ohnoez:

Infuriated beyond reasoning, I returned the favor throwing out all but a single pair of her shoes.

Why did you leave her a pair?? Should have left one single shoe, a high heel, and told her to :censored:ing walk into the shoe store like that! rantrant

God, I love my wife so much :luhv:

I always felt bad when I lady would walk into a shop with a nice collection and want a ridiculously cheap price for it..you just knew she was selling some dude's stuff

favorite

"Well I don't know would you pay me half of cover price?"

"Sure that is 5 cents X 150 10 cents X 35 etc"

you know some poor bastrat came home and found extra handbags and shoes in the closet where his short boxes were..

2c

2cae3705.png

Dirty mouth!

The finghus owns you.

Mrs. Toast is one-hundred percent supportive of my hobbies. She has her hobbies, I have mine and, like ebony and ivory, we live together in near perfect harmony.

Mrs. Toast has told me she really doesn't get comic collecting, but then I don't get the fascination with sewing and Janet Evonovich. It's all even.

2c

2cae3705.png

Dirty mouth!

The finghus owns you.

The fungus owns your junk.

:censored::ohnoez::censored::ohnoez:

Infuriated beyond reasoning, I returned the favor throwing out all but a single pair of her shoes.

Why did you leave her a pair?? Should have left one single shoe, a high heel, and told her to :censored:ing walk into the shoe store like that! rantrant

God, I love my wife so much :luhv:

Well, the honest answer?

She was wearing them when I threw her "collection" out.

:devil: