• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Life and Collecting - How the 2 Can Mix posted by Scott Wallace

1 post in this topic

New baby, books at CGC for 65 "business days", and not a lot of sleep because I'm worried about both.

I have been collecting comics for a little over 20 years now. I can't get over how things have changed in the industry. Will it collapse, will the movies coming out help stabilize it...will people actually stop writing about these subjects.

I just had a new baby girl. She is exactly a month old as I write this. She is more precious to me then my collection...and that's saying a lot. I have been tossing up the idea to sell my collection for the past 9 months or so because of my daughter and for the fear placed on me by the industry. 65 days ago I decided that I wanted to keep my collection and that I should send in my third personal CGC submission. I have purchased other graded books over the past few years on eBay but haven't submitted a lot myself due to being in Canada (expensive shipping). I went to a very very weak comic convention in Toronto in March 2011 and decided to bring 6 books to get graded. I only ended up getting 4 done as I purchased a few commissions from artists while I was there and ran out of money (and credit). I had to submit them as they didn't have the on-site grading service there. They finally came in today and I was happy with all but one. Oh well, they found something I must have missed. It took 65 business days to get them though and I paid for the 40 day service. That's just too long. Plus I paid $60 to ship them to me which is $40 more then it cost me to ship it a year ago. Ouch!

I digress, I just wanted to say that I will be collecting comics til the day I die and I know the industry will last a lot longer then that. I will be introducing my love for comics to the new addition to my family when she is ready. And I will try to find a creative way to peak her interest. If anyone has any ideas on how to do that, especially a female opinion, I would appreciate the input.

Happy collecting!

See more journals by Scott Wallace