• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worldwide's Raw Books

72 posts in this topic

Its a shame you don't post much anymore. I didn't know Stephen had different stance then matt as far as disclosing.

Lately I've had a post or two that has ruffled feathers. So perhaps it isn't good for me to post much lol

No I don't think Stephen has a different policy. He just knew I was going to ask so he gave the info before I did. Make sense?

School teacher on summer break :thumbsup:

I was just saying the lack of disclosure aspect Arex..

I know P. I wasnt talking specifically to you, just to Logan. Now that I think on it, Logan might have been saying something else than what I responded to.

Every time I have ever asked Stephen has told me if it was pressed. There were times that i pulled a book and he said, yep, or nope before I asked. lol

Hi Arex :hi: You gonna have another sale anytime soon? I loved the books I got from you last time (worship) The majority of raw stuff I bought from WW was HG...maybe I was wrong to assume they were pressed at the time as I bought stuff that I thought they figured wasn't worth their time to slab unless it came back a 9.8 as opposed to the 9.4-9.6's they are.

Casey

I was just saying the lack of disclosure aspect Arex..

I know P. I wasnt talking specifically to you, just to Logan. Now that I think on it, Logan might have been saying something else than what I responded to.

Every time I have ever asked Stephen has told me if it was pressed. There were times that i pulled a book and he said, yep, or nope before I asked. lol

Hi Arex :hi: You gonna have another sale anytime soon? I loved the books I got from you last time (worship) The majority of raw stuff I bought from WW was HG...maybe I was wrong to assume they were pressed at the time as I bought stuff that I thought they figured wasn't worth their time to slab unless it came back a 9.8 as opposed to the 9.4-9.6's they are.

Casey

Hey Casey,

kinda hard to sell stuff when I dont have anything. I sold off almost all of my books last summer. Just got tired of my stuff controlling me. Ive got some Sgt Furys and some books from when i was kid, thats about it. lol

My thought is easy Roy. If after pressing, grading, etc. They make 40 bucks or more profit, then yes. For CA I would guess pre screen. So the books are likely rejects or not worth the overhead.

Are you saying that every book at WW has been pressed? I dont recall seeing anything about that on their website..what's up with that?

To be clear on this, I will explain my thought process. I do not LIKE what WW Comics does via their E-bay auctions, but that does not mean that any conclusions about their books should be made due to my comment.

Matt Nelson presses ALOT of books. He does so for himsel and for many others. He also does not support disclosure of pressing. So I have to assume when I buy from (or used to) that all books are pressed. I am not saying all their books are pressed, but would have to assume so because of their stance on the matter.

To be honest, I just assumed everything I bought from them was pressed as well. Interesting to find out that isn't the case.

Please dont take this the wrong way because you probably have no clue as to the simple time factor involved in pressing but think about it logically:

1-Worldwide (or any large dealer) will bring say 15-20 long boxes to a show. Or break that down into 30-40 shorts or some combination of the two.

2-So that is a total of what 6000-8000 comics give or take (please dont fry me if im off on this)

3-Of those, a decent percent, are Fine or worse and not good pressing candidates

4-Of the ones left there are a bunch in the F-FV/NM range and again are not good pressing candidates.

5-Of the ones left, there might be 10% that would be good pressing candidates based on grade. the higher the grade the better chance that the book would exhibit the characteristics that would benefit from pressing.

6-Of those that are left it would be safe to assume that many do get pulled and pressed and graded.

7-There still will be good HG books left (along with the lower grades too) that either a)dont need to be pressed, or b) arent caught by the dealer.

So, while there are a lot of books, my highly number unspecific example, shows why an enormous portion of a dealers books ARENT pressed.

Again, not being an arse, just giving you another perspective.

Your still an arse. :baiting:

Regarding the pressing and Worldwide comics conversation....

I too assume that any book from WW has been pressed, especially if it is in a slab. More importantly, I also assume that there is no potential in any book I buy from WW = it has achieved the highest grade possible. Knowing this, I feel safe buying from Wordlwide. I don't have to worry about a resub, the books are usually priced at the FMV of the grade = no juice for potential in the price, and I know the book has been pressed by a professional and not some rookie that just bought a press from E-Bay.

I've pulled raw wins from most major dealer's boxes.

That's impossible. Everyone knows dealers who sell slabs grade all the good stuff for themselves, even if they already have three graded copies on their wall, and only leave drek in their long boxes. :eyeroll:

Exactly; don't anyone else even bother looking anymore at future cons. :sumo:

Just want to add as an addendum that I just received a personal e-mail from Stephen. Not only did he refund my money on the books in question, but wrote me a detailed and friendly e-mail discussing the issue. I am very impressed with his customer service and will not hesitate to order from Worldwide in the future. :thumbsup:

...I think their grading is pretty tight,...you would have to assume that almost any book of real value has been pressed,...what I can't understand is why they charge state tax???,...I dont live in their state,..by law I shouldn't have to pay sales tax.

if you'd put down the pipe sometime, you'd see there is a shipping selection on the left hand side of the checkout, if you don't live in TX, you won't be charged sales tax. :gossip: