• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brown spots...

20 posts in this topic

I recently came across some bronze Marvel books that have brown spots in the white areas. They can be small spots or big, and some books just have a few and others have a large percentage of the front/back cover covered with these things.

Some of these are nearly perfect except for the spots (and cream pages).

Now, I am familiar with foxing, and this doesn't seem to be it (although I certainly could be wrong).

My initial feeling is that's its some sort of advanced aging due to the books being poorly stored.

If no one has a clue I'll post a scan.

Anyway, do these make a NM book a VG?

confused.gif

I know exactly what you mean....I passed up a batch of nice marvels (including a beautiful Daredevil #168)..cause of the same marks,...it didn't look like foxing to me either......it almost looked like a burn mark........like it got too close to something hot...

Sorry, what are humidity stains? tongue.gif

I can't imagine that thay are anything external, since an entire box has marks like this. And they can be seen on the inside covers as well.

Thanks for the replies!

Sorry, what are humidity stains? tongue.gif

I can't imagine that thay are anything external, since an entire box has marks like this. And they can be seen on the inside covers as well.

Exactly why they very likely are humidity stains. If comics are stored in high humidity conditions, they will start to develop brown spots (because of the high moisture in the air) similar to the ones on your Cap #241. If the whole box has them, then I suspect that's the culprit....

Mile High used to grade comics NM with the spots because, in their words, "this is common on comics, especially those from the Southeast (US)". Not sure if they still do but I can imagine so based on their continued overgrading....

Jim

Ah, what a bummer. Well, they were just about free, so it's hard to complain. I had not idea about humidity causing stains. Many of these are on Chuck's buy list - maybe I'll put a box together for him... :-)

I assume CGC would "Q" these or treat it like foxing?

Exactly why they very likely are humidity stains. If comics are stored in high humidity conditions, they will start to develop brown spots (because of the high moisture in the air) similar to the ones on your Cap #241. If the whole box has them, then I suspect that's the culprit....

Mile High used to grade comics NM with the spots because, in their words, "this is common on comics, especially those from the Southeast (US)". Not sure if they still do but I can imagine so based on their continued overgrading....

Jim

Wouldn't waste my time or money getting them CGC'd. I'm pretty sure they would be somewhat "harsh" because the books are bronze/moderns.

On a old GA book, they might not downgrade as much.

Looks a lot like humidity stains.....

Yep, and I'd bet those books were stored in an area with a lot of humidity, and judging from the stains, none too clean either.

I've seen stains like that on books that were left in a garage/workplace, where there was a lot of grease, oil and solvents floating around.