• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tribute to Bill Ward

18 posts in this topic

Before Dave Stevens and Adam Hughes, there was good girl artist Bill Ward. He often worked on huge 17 x 23 inch (larger than twice up OA) :applause: sheets of paper with conte crayon and white chalk highlights. Note: the lush fabric type backgrounds.

Also pics have been edited for greggy, as he has fragile :luhv: Canadian sensibilities.

P6262466.jpg

Surprised that Bill Ward spent so much time in illustrating the lush frabric texture of the backgrounds to add to the delicious foreground.

Around 1978, Ward came out of retirement and maintained his high standard of OA that he set in the 50s and 60s for GGA. He did some commissioned Torchy cover recreations although he was not the original GA illustrator of the comic covers:

P6262464.jpg

Last 3 years, Taschen has published 2 different oversize versions with the theme Art of Bill Ward. The Fantagraphics book is 1 inch thick full of nice b/w illos. Telephone Girls portfolio was mentioned in World of Ward comic #1:

P6262463.jpg

Please post any scans of Ward romance covers or other Torchy-style (thumbs u art you wish to share from your collection.

Bill Ward, how I love his art :cloud9: What kid growing up reading CRACKED magazine didn't thank the editors for hiring him?

Although I've had a few of the larger conte piece, I prefer his smaller pieces on the thicker art board. I'll post mine as soon as I get a chance. I purchased my first Ward pieces from Mr. Alex Chun :golfclap:

I think this is the 1st time in 6 years that I have been on the Forum that there has been a Bill Ward appreciation thread. Long overdue.

Also, Alex Chun (has a Ward website and is on CAF) (thumbs u wrote or co-wrote that red covered Fantagraphics Ward book that is pictured earlier. Retail price is a very affordable $20. Check out the Fantagraphics booth if you will be at SDCC. :applause: I think the Taschen art book retailed for over $90 but you get larger, :luhv: quality pages of his Humorama, Sex to Sixty illos.

I am just stunned that Ward could make fabric look so wonderfully detailed and clingy to his Barbie-proportioned pin-up girls. Ward was still in peak form in the late 70's. Great cover feature in Overstreet Price Guide # 8 which was quite a contrast to the Barks Ostreet # 7. <3

Main point to remember for OA collectors is that the Telephone Girls illustrations or Sex to Sixty illos on fragile paper are mega-huge :sumo:: larger than twice-up which makes 11 x 17 inch bristol seem puny in comparison. I don't think Adam Hughes or Dave Stevens could have delineated negligee fabric texture as nicely. :banana: