• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: question, answer honestly.

10 posts in this topic

OK, be honest with your answers on this one.

We live right by a grocery store( Kroger). We have lived here for around 1 1/2 years.

Every night around 7pm they take any chicken they haven't sold and throw it away. (Roasted, broasted, fried, chicken strips.) Now we have a few places that that food could go to, to help out the poor. So one day I went and asked the manager if we could work something out so I could pick up the food and deliver it to these shelters. He said no! foreheadslap.gif

Now here's the question, would you if you seen them throw this stuff out take it from the dumpster?

a bit of info here.....When they throw this out they use a new bag and they leave everything in the containers. Then they tie the bag shut and throw it away. Nothing else is in the bag besides the chicken. Oh and when I say they throw chicken out I'm talking at least 6 whole chickens, 7 boxes of fried chicken each having 8 or more pieces, and all kinds of chicken strips.

Just curious what others would do, I still haven't made up my mind but it just drives me nuts to see the waist why we have people starving here!

You may have better luck contacting the corporate offices of Kroger to see what their policies are. There may be liability issues at work here. In any event contact your local shelter and see if they give you something with their letterhead and take that to the manager. My daughter periodically volunteers at a shelter to pick up food but she has a letterhead from the shelter to show the merchants or restaurants. Yes, we waste a tremendous amount of food in this nation. I applaud your action.

You may have better luck contacting the corporate offices of Kroger to see what their policies are. There may be liability issues at work here. In any event contact your local shelter and see if they give you something with their letterhead and take that to the manager. My daughter periodically volunteers at a shelter to pick up food but she has a letterhead from the shelter to show the merchants or restaurants. Yes, we waste a tremendous amount of food in this nation. I applaud your action.

Yep, liability questions would be an issues. The Kroger's could actually charge you for theft out of fear that they would get sued for suppling un-sanitary food. The FDA has actually got rules regarding the disposal of such food. That being said as a teenager I used to go behind the local KFC with my friends and we'd get boxes of unsold chicken every saturday night. Of course that was until the manager found out and read us the riot act of how it was against the law(FDA).

I know your heart is in the right place ,....but being a former restaurant owner I know that the reason this is done, (and everyone does it from Mcdonald's to the largest restaurants) is because of the liability factor,....if one homeless person gets a tummy ache,...or worse,..they can sue the establishment, for the free food they received,....and please don't thin it won't happen,....cause it will...

I know that grocery stores have to throw out stuff like that, but they DO donate a LOT of non-perishable food, personal hygeine, and household items to food banks. I volunteer every Saturday at the Food Bank of NC, and they call it "salvage" there, and trust me, they get truckloads every week from different grocery stores and drug stores in the area. We sort it and separate it into categories for the agencies that come get it. They do get donations of meat, but it's all frozen/pre-cooked.

Donating the stuff you're referring to IS a liability issue. But don't think that they throw everything that's on the shelves out that doesn't sell, because it's not true. We even get produce, bread, and eggs at the FBNC - they have a big fridge for it. But something that's already been cooked is asking for trouble.

Heck, I wouldn't even buy chicken that was cooked at the grocery store at the end of the day. I wouldn't want something that was cooked before lunch and has been sitting there all day. What if someone at the homeless shelter they donated it to didn't store/refrigerate or prepare/re-heat it properly (a lot of their help is from volunteers) and someone got sick? Who do you think would catch the heat? The shelter? Nope - the grocery store.

Just tell the homeless where to camp out for free chicken and let them all fetch it themselves gossip.gif That way they can't sue for a tummyache since they are "stealing"/"trespassing" - as long as they are discrete and don't get caught... tongue.gif gotta fatten up the homeless so they can turn them into hot dogs to get them off the streets like Giuliani did up in NYC thumbsup2.gif