• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #129 cheap

28 posts in this topic

I wouldn't consider a comic missing a back cover to be in poor condition, unless the pages were brittle or the remaining front cover was only in fair condition. As long as the rest of the book is in presentable shape it would count as a fair. If you had a choice between two copies Action 1 with identical page quality, one with a quarter of the front cover missing, and another with a front cover that would be at home on a VG copy, but no back cover, which would you prefer?

With cheaper comics it isn't necessary, but I think it is possible to grade books as FR+ and FR-, what would the number grades be, 1.2 and .08?

I don't really collect anything at lower than VF unless it is a really high priced key, in which case I'll go to Fine or MAYBE VG if it's a nice VG on an otherwise super expensive book. But I don't buy books with chunks out of the front or back cover, so it's really just an academic discussion from my perspective.

I wouldn't consider a comic missing a back cover to be in poor condition, unless the pages were brittle or the remaining front cover was only in fair condition. As long as the rest of the book is in presentable shape it would count as a fair. If you had a choice between two copies Action 1 with identical page quality, one with a quarter of the front cover missing, and another with a front cover that would be at home on a VG copy, but no back cover, which would you prefer?

With cheaper comics it isn't necessary, but I think it is possible to grade books as FR+ and FR-, what would the number grades be, 1.2 and .08?

I don't really collect anything at lower than VF unless it is a really high priced key, in which case I'll go to Fine or MAYBE VG if it's a nice VG on an otherwise super expensive book. But I don't buy books with chunks out of the front or back cover, so it's really just an academic discussion from my perspective.

How about a big tape pull on the cover????foreheadslap.gif

hi.gifhi.gifhi.gif

lol, I know the book you're talking about. Those are nebula, not tape pulls!!!!

Also, I should clarify from my statement that if I want just a reader copy, I'll obviously buy whatever condition the book is in as long as it's cheap. In this case, I don't care whether the book falls in the Fr, Gd, VG, or F- range. (I bought some Fr/Gd to VG+ copies of Jim Shooter's first stories in Adventure Comics from when he was 13 years old, for example. I don't collect these, but I wanted to check them out because he's a guy who I respect and admire a lot.) It's only for books that I will consider adding to my permanent collection that fall under my prior statement. I'm not a "condition snob" per se, it's just that from an investment standpoint, I think it's counterproductive to build a run of silver age stuff below VF.

How about a big tape pull on the cover????foreheadslap.gif

hi.gifhi.gifhi.gif

Speaking of ASM #129 and since I started this thread hi.gif

I just sealed a deal on a copy finally. The dealer grades it as an 8.0 to 8.5, but the pictures provided are not big enough for me to grade the book with any accuracy. So I am going to take a leap of faith and hope that it's at least a 7.0 since I am paying about a 6.5 to 7.0 price for a raw copy.

Wish me luck all 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif