• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.8s, Coppers.

47 posts in this topic

Archer & Armstrong 0 is also the first appearance of Archer and Armstrong, where Eternal Warrior #1 isn't that character's first appearance (Solar #10). The thought I think is that any potentially successful VALIANT reboot would be heavy on Archer & Armstrong (I'd think the same for Solar #10 as well).

In general - definitely not down to a science - over the years I've found pulling either of the EW's to be significantly easier than the A&A, which again I think is associated with the 1st appearance and the general appreciation VALIANT fans have for that particular title. I'd much rather get rid of multiple sets of the EW's than a single A&A..

Archer & Armstrong 0 is also the first appearance of Archer and Armstrong, where Eternal Warrior #1 isn't that character's first appearance (Solar #10). The thought I think is that any potentially successful VALIANT reboot would be heavy on Archer & Armstrong (I'd think the same for Solar #10 as well).

In general - definitely not down to a science - over the years I've found pulling either of the EW's to be significantly easier than the A&A, which again I think is associated with the 1st appearance and the general appreciation VALIANT fans have for that particular title. I'd much rather get rid of multiple sets of the EW's than a single A&A..

Agreed.

Huh--I thought the EW and A&A golds were released at the same time. (And yes--I know the normal A&A 0 was released a month before EW.)

Further, I understand EW 1 (flat) got mixed in and actually sent with some regular versions of EW 1, but since neither EW (embossed) or A&A 0 were available commercially, but only via Valiant promotions, they trickled into the marketplace at the same time--so A&A 0 and both EW 1s = tied for "first."

Were these actually tied to dealer order issues? I'd never heard that, but understood they were discretionary promotional variants that were made available at the same time.

I thought the first Valiant "gold" that was tied specifically to orders was Magnus/Predator Platinum (1 per 50).

I realize there is some iffyness on the "first" designation, but I'm going with what Greg thinks at this point. It is certainly the earliest book that had a gold edition.

http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/variants.asp

Neither A&A0 or EW1 were tied to dealer orders. They printed the cover price on EW1 gold flat by mistake, and some were distributed like regular issues with EW1.

Huh--I thought the EW and A&A golds were released at the same time. (And yes--I know the normal A&A 0 was released a month before EW.)

Further, I understand EW 1 (flat) got mixed in and actually sent with some regular versions of EW 1, but since neither EW (embossed) or A&A 0 were available commercially, but only via Valiant promotions, they trickled into the marketplace at the same time--so A&A 0 and both EW 1s = tied for "first."

Were these actually tied to dealer order issues? I'd never heard that, but understood they were discretionary promotional variants that were made available at the same time.

I thought the first Valiant "gold" that was tied specifically to orders was Magnus/Predator Platinum (1 per 50).

Half the EW #1 Gold flats were mistakenly sent to the West Coast. Since they had a cover price, and since Marvel had been doing gold second prints for a couple years, retailers assumed these were second prints and put them out on the stands at cover price.

That is why EW #1 gold embossed exists.

A&A #0 is the first gold. Whether or not it was printed at the same time as the EW #1 flats or not, the cover date of A&A #0 is a month sooner, and probably WAS printed before EW #1 gold flat. These books were not distributed the normal way, so there's no real "release date." But A&A #0 is first.

By the by....I'll buy any and all EW #1 flats....or any other Valiant golds, for that matter...for the right price.