• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"AFTER PRESS" PRICING for books NOT PRESSED YET.

359 posts in this topic

I'm not a fan of someone pricing something for what it might become, no matter how "expert" or informed the opinion.

Related question: who is guaranteeing grades, because pressing aside, that is what this sounds like to me?

People can ask what they want for books and buyers can either choose to pay the prices or pass.

It's a matter of risk/reward ratio to me.

Big risk, big reward. Also big possible loss.

To each their own.

As far as bigger book sales went, I was guaranteeing grades when I sold them raw.

The model is inherently flawed, but that's my opinion. I'd be just as adverse to it whether it's a dealer of classic cars pricing a "project" car based on what it could be rather than what it is or a collector clearing out their basement sourcing "mint" prices on VG books.

I'm not a fan of someone pricing something for what it might become, no matter how "expert" or informed the opinion.

Related question: who is guaranteeing grades, because pressing aside, that is what this sounds like to me?

People can ask what they want for books and buyers can either choose to pay the prices or pass.

It's a matter of risk/reward ratio to me.

Big risk, big reward. Also big possible loss.

To each their own.

As far as bigger book sales went, I was guaranteeing grades when I sold them raw.

The model is inherently flawed, but that's my opinion. I'd be just as adverse to it whether it's a dealer of classic cars pricing a "project" car based on what it could be rather than what it is or a collector clearing out their basement sourcing "mint" prices on VG books.

I agree but it is a part of the marketplace and like in any market, there are many "niche" micro markets.

People can basically just choose to shop in their comfort zones and avoid them altogether.

I get the general idea of the outrage, but if the price is too high, the book won't sell. If the book sells, that means it was worth that price to somebody. If you think the price is too high, but someone else is willing to pay it, then maybe you need to reevaluate your value/condition expectations on that particular book.

I'm ok with it. I don't like my books smashed, so if I can get them un-pressed I prefer it. Dealers need to make a living, and this is the state of the market now. Obviously I would prefer to get the books for a price reflective of the grade, but I don't always get my way and I'm ok with that. As long as I can get them unmanipulated I'm happy.

And as someone else pointed out, it disincentivizes pressing.

It also puts the totality of the risk squarely on the buyer. You don't hear the stories about pressing doing nothing to improve a book's grade. Or, in rare cases, hurting it. We pretty much only hear about the 8.5 to 9.6 transformations.

It is akin to using GPA to charge for raw books at the high end. If you are so darned sure it's a CGC 9.4, well by Crom send the damn thing in before you sell it. But why would a seller do that when it could come back a 9.0 and there is a willing rube in the wings to buy it at the GPA 9.4 price?

If you are going to sell really nice raw books at a premium, there is nothing wrong with that. But building in a premium that adds 50%+ to its value? What buyer pays that premium when they can buy a book already in the slab at the grade they want? I don't know, you tell me.

All this thread is showing that fewer and fewer people want to leave any crumbs on the table.

More and more want the Reward while taking no risk.

I'm not sure that's how capitalism is supposed to work.

Bob, I don't entirely disagree with you, but I think there is a fundamental difference between dealers who sell books at the top end, leaving no margin opportunity whatsoever for a dealer. I don't need to mention names, but that is how some long-standing comic dealers roll, and to say it's anything new wouldn't be accurate.

I can understand someone telling me they want to get top end price on a book, and respect their wishes to shop the book around until they find the right buyer.

I find this to be a different thing altogether because it monetizes on a promise that what you're buying into WILL be better. No detail or explanation on the process, risks and cost proposition. This walks and talks like an insurance policy for speculators, and you don't need to go too far back in time to see how similar schemes in the financial sector badly faltered and made a mess of the economy.

Not singling any one person out nor am I proclaiming this practice to be "right" or "wrong"... just wondering how others feel about the notion of charging "after press" prices, based on guessing (be it educated guess or not) of the projected outcome of that "press"... and then assigning "post press pricing" at guessed higher grades that haven't been obtained yet.

Opinions?

I think it's extremely risky. After all, who knows if the press will actually improve the book. What if the buyer does not want to press the book?

On the other hand, any seller is free to price as he/she sees fit. The market will decide if that price can be supported.

Ok, so let's start selling comic default swaps for the protection of books getting graded.

Who wants to get into the underwriting of those.

I'll take out insurance that books bought from certain dealers/sellers won't CGC grade what they say. I think I will make a lot of money on those bets.

All this thread is showing that fewer and fewer people want to leave any crumbs on the table.

More and more want the Reward while taking no risk.

I'm not sure that's how capitalism is supposed to work.

Bob, I don't entirely disagree with you, but I think there is a fundamental difference between dealers who sell books at the top end, leaving no margin opportunity whatsoever for a dealer. I don't need to mention names, but that is how some long-standing comic dealers roll, and to say it's anything new wouldn't be accurate.

I can understand someone telling me they want to get top end price on a book, and respect their wishes to shop the book around until they find the right buyer.

I find this to be a different thing altogether because it monetizes on a promise that what you're buying into WILL be better. No detail or explanation on the process, risks and cost proposition. This walks and talks like an insurance policy for speculators, and you don't need to go too far back in time to see how similar schemes in the financial sector badly faltered and made a mess of the economy.

You and other posters have hit the nail on the head.

Even if the book is graded a lot can happen (good and bad) between the time the book sells and the time it is encapsulated.

People can charge whatever they want for their comics. Other people can choose to either buy them or not. Or they can choose to openly mock their pricing. Like Roy when he busted out his GPA for raw campaign in 2009.

I have to admit, post-press bread for pre-press comics is awesomely progressive. I would like to institute a program where I tell people what books are going to be hot, and they pay me the difference between what the book costs new and what they would have to pay for it 60 days later when it is super hot on Ebay. Any takers?

Can I mock Roy some more? Please?!? THAT was ridiculous then, and ridiculous now, and ridiculous forever.

People can charge whatever they want for their comics. Other people can choose to either buy them or not. Or they can choose to openly mock their pricing. Like Roy when he busted out his GPA for raw campaign in 2009.

I have to admit, post-press bread for pre-press comics is awesomely progressive. I would like to institute a program where I tell people what books are going to be hot, and they pay me the difference between what the book costs new and what they would have to pay for it 60 days later when it is super hot on Ebay. Any takers?

Can I mock Roy some more? Please?!? THAT was ridiculous then, and ridiculous now, and ridiculous forever.

Shut it.

You're just arguing a small pie slice of what is being discussed and missing the most important point:

That you're wrong.

:baiting:

Basically, stock options for comics. That would be fun.

Shut it.

You're just arguing a small pie slice of what is being discussed and missing the most important point:

That you're wrong.

Hah. No I'm not. You're pricing a book using a price point that ISN'T WHAT THE BOOK IS. GPA pricing is for slabbed books only. NOT books that "might be" in a slab.

The question is....if you charge a 9.8 price for a raw book because you think it will get a 9.8, will you give me a refund when I slab it and it comes back a 9.6?

Basically, stock options for comics. That would be fun.

In. I may not know how to grade at the uber-grades, but I do know how to play the option game. Sign me up.

Shut it.

That you're wrong.

Hah. No I'm not. You're pricing a book using a price point that ISN'T WHAT THE BOOK IS. GPA pricing is for slabbed books only. NOT books that "might be" in a slab.

The question is....if you charge a 9.8 price for a raw book because you think it will get a 9.8, will you give me a refund when I slab it and it comes back a 9.6?

remember when diva was selling 10.0 raw thor's on ebay. lol

Shut it.

That you're wrong.

I'll expect your optimism card on my desk in the morning.

Shut it.

That you're wrong.

Again, you are misrepresenting the discussion. There are definitely books that sell for what people call "GPA prices" regardless of the whether the book is in a slab or not. Usually rare books. On those books the slab is incidental, not necessary to achieve that price.

On books where the grade determines the price, then yes, the book sells at a "might be" price. We all buy "might be" books all the time.

If you read the thread you'd know that the answer is yes.

:makepoint:

A lot of times selling a book using GPA data on Raw books actually saves you the buyer a good amount of money.

Example NM- copy of ASM 238 using GPA instead of OSPG (RAW COPY)

I was wondering how long it would take to bring up Roy