• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"AFTER PRESS" PRICING for books NOT PRESSED YET.

359 posts in this topic

Not singling any one person out nor am I proclaiming this practice to be "right" or "wrong"... just wondering how others feel about the notion of charging "after press" prices, based on guessing (be it educated guess or not) of the projected outcome of that "press"... and then assigning "post press pricing" at guessed higher grades that haven't been obtained yet.

Opinions?

I think it's extremely risky. After all, who knows if the press will actually improve the book. What if the buyer does not want to press the book?

On the other hand, any seller is free to price as he/she sees fit. The market will decide if that price can be supported.

I think the practice is ridiculous. I also don't see a lot of support for the prices being asked - the dearth of sales speak for themselves. However, maybe this is just a cruddy venue to move some stuff - I don't know :shrug:

People can charge whatever they want for their comics. Other people can choose to either buy them or not. Or they can choose to openly mock their pricing. Like Roy when he busted out his GPA for raw campaign in 2009.

I have to admit, post-press bread for pre-press comics is awesomely progressive. I would like to institute a program where I tell people what books are going to be hot, and they pay me the difference between what the book costs new and what they would have to pay for it 60 days later when it is super hot on Ebay. Any takers?

Can I mock Roy some more? Please?!? THAT was ridiculous then, and ridiculous now, and ridiculous forever.

Shut it.

You're just arguing a small pie slice of what is being discussed and missing the most important point:

That you're wrong.

:baiting:

Hah. No I'm not. You're pricing a book using a price point that ISN'T WHAT THE BOOK IS. GPA pricing is for slabbed books only. NOT books that "might be" in a slab.

The question is....if you charge a 9.8 price for a raw book because you think it will get a 9.8, will you give me a refund when I slab it and it comes back a 9.6?

remember when diva was selling 10.0 raw thor's on ebay. lol

Hey, everybody knows how i feel about Diva after his comments but let's not make this a bash session.

(tsk)

Ok, so let's start selling comic default swaps for the protection of books getting graded.

Who wants to get into the underwriting of those.

I'll take out insurance that books bought from certain dealers/sellers won't CGC grade what they say. I think I will make a lot of money on those bets.

This, as well as the options concept, is brilliant.

People can charge whatever they want for their comics. Other people can choose to either buy them or not. Or they can choose to openly mock their pricing. Like Roy when he busted out his GPA for raw campaign in 2009.

I have to admit, post-press bread for pre-press comics is awesomely progressive. I would like to institute a program where I tell people what books are going to be hot, and they pay me the difference between what the book costs new and what they would have to pay for it 60 days later when it is super hot on Ebay. Any takers?

Can I mock Roy some more? Please?!? THAT was ridiculous then, and ridiculous now, and ridiculous forever.

Shut it.

You're just arguing a small pie slice of what is being discussed and missing the most important point:

That you're wrong.

Hah. No I'm not. You're pricing a book using a price point that ISN'T WHAT THE BOOK IS. GPA pricing is for slabbed books only. NOT books that "might be" in a slab.

The question is....if you charge a 9.8 price for a raw book because you think it will get a 9.8, will you give me a refund when I slab it and it comes back a 9.6?

Hey, everybody knows how i feel about Dive after his comments but let's not make this a bash session.

(tsk)

:popcorn:

I must of missed that memo

Not singling any one person out nor am I proclaiming this practice to be "right" or "wrong"... just wondering how others feel about the notion of charging "after press" prices, based on guessing (be it educated guess or not) of the projected outcome of that "press"... and then assigning "post press pricing" at guessed higher grades that haven't been obtained yet.

Opinions?

I don't have a problem with ater press PRICING. I do however have a problem with after press GRADING. People can ask whatever they want for their books, I can either choose to buy it or not at that price. I do not like after press grading. It is just a guess, no matter how educated. If you want to grade it as a 9.4 because you think it will press up to a 9.4, press the damn thing first :makepoint: It's sort of like GPA pricing for raw books, if you want to ask 9.8 price for a book because you think it will slab at 9.8, then slab it first. Or guarantee the slabbed grade.

IMO, people can charge what they want, regardless of what I think of how they phrase their selling terminology. I'll buy it if the price is worth it to me, otherwise I won't.

As to what I think of it....it did seem a bit hinky to me the first time I saw it, but most of those books are out of my range anyway so it doesn't affect me all that much. Hell, a seller could just put a price on a book for a given grade and not mention that it's an 'after pressing' price and if people thought it was too high, they wouldn't buy it anyway.

LordRahl made a good point above about the difference between grading and pricing.

Shut it.

That you're wrong.

Hey, everybody knows how i feel about Diva after his comments but let's not make this a bash session.

(tsk)

Still one of the dooshiest things I've seen on this board in my 9 years here. Par for the course with him though.

I was wondering how long it would take to bring up Roy

It was not a long putt.

A lot of times selling a book using GPA data on Raw books actually saves you the buyer a good amount of money.

Example NM- copy of ASM 238 using GPA instead of OSPG (RAW COPY)

There are plenty of books where Overstreet Price Guide values the book much higher than GPA does.

There is no black and white rule that can cover every scenario.

That's why it's important to represent the entire scenario rather than just dissect one small pie slice of the discussion and make it out to be the whole pie.

I was wondering how long it would take to bring up Roy

It was not a long putt.

My posts are the icing on your cake.

You are like a beautiful toy that I received on my birthday. Just wind it up and watch it go. :whee:

I'm differing things to different people.

:cloud9:

As to what I think of it....it did seem a bit hinky to me the first time I saw it, but most of those books are out of my range anyway so it doesn't affect me all that much.

yes, but perhaps you could afford some if they were priced without taking pressing into the equation.

That's probably what irritates me the most.

As to what I think of it....it did seem a bit hinky to me the first time I saw it, but most of those books are out of my range anyway so it doesn't affect me all that much.

yes, but perhaps you could afford some if they were priced without taking pressing into the equation.

That's probably what irritates me the most.

I think we all have our irritants.

Mine may not be the same as yours.

I think the point of the conversation is that all people have their beefs but if people want a free market, they need to accept the things they like and pass over the things they don't like. Not try to change them (unless of course something dishonest is going on). Otherwise, it's not really a free market anymore.

I keep getting told: you can't have your cake and eat it too. I keep trying anyway.

:D

People can charge whatever they want for their comics. Other people can choose to either buy them or not.

Regardless of how many pages this thread languidly plods on for, this is what it all boils down to.