• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rat chewed GA cover leafcasted, a photo journey.

92 posts in this topic

Send Zeman your mailing address in a PM and he'll add you to the list of people who get to see the leaf casted cover. If these pictures impress you, wait until you have this thing in your hands. It's unreal how seamless the repair is.

Thank you, I will. The work looks absolutely amazing. It will be a great to hold the actual repaired cover.

Hey Miles, thanks for the compliments. Was great talking with you, I encourage you to post more about what we discussed today. The similarities, and differences between our hobby, and the book world in terms of how resto/conso is viewed. It was most insightful to hear you speak about the topic.

I also wanted to reiterate, anybody that cares to see the cover can. I have had more then a few people reticent to ask to see the cover because they are new members, or work in a shop across the street.

I didn't make this thread to keep people from seeing the cover, more the opposite.

It may not be my best effort, but it's good enough to hopefully serve as an example of the process itself and what it might offer our hobby.

I'll be happy when I see photos of the leaf casting process on a certain GL #1 (GA)

Say what?

I thought you gave that to me. I pawned it for some Oreos, and Football cards.

:blush:

I'll be happy when I see photos of the leaf casting process on a certain GL #1 (GA)

Say what?

I thought you gave that to me. I pawned it for some Oreos, and Football cards.

:blush:

Oreos are great, and I love football as you know, but they are not a GL 1! :makepoint:

Well, bad news.

The Thrilling cover is apparently lost, or stuck in Customs..or under the seat of a Mail Truck.

It's been over a month since it was last mailed and not a sign of it. :(

I will try and cast a new cover soon, and send that out to those who asked to see it.

But with my current workload, it might be awhile.

Well, bad news.

The Thrilling cover is apparently lost, or stuck in Customs..or under the seat of a Mail Truck.

I will try and cast a new cover soon, and send that out to those who asked to see it.

Where did it get lost?

Your questions doesn't count, you already used your allotment.

:P

I didn't post FC scans because I feared the owner would not appreciate it. And yes, everything that is missing will be replicated.

The results should show up on Matt's/Classics site. Till then, this was what I had to post.

In regards to the More Fun #52: Matt tells me the work is almost complete and ready to ship. I asked Matt if it would be OK to post the pics he sent me on the Boards, but your pics are much better than the ones he e-mailed. You've got my permission to post any you have of the front cover here.

And for any that are interested, here's what the front cover looked like with extensive amateur restoration. Matt called it a 3.5 or 4.0 E(A). I wish I had taken some closeup scans of the added piece in the lower left...this picture doesn't really do it justice in regards to how amateurish the work was,

morefun52.jpg

Actually, the "in progress" pictures I have are pretty good, so here you go:

An overall shot of the front cover after leaf casting

Extcoveraftercasting.jpg

A closer look at the front cover

castedfcbedforect.jpg

And a close-up of the back cover

extBCaftercasting.jpg

Back cover with color touch

extBCafterct.jpg

And an overview again after the back cover work

extcoverafterBCct.jpg

Front cover in progress

castedfcafterpartialct.jpg

Matt thinks the work will be completed on this comic this week. When he sends the pictures of the completed project, I'll add them here.

Many thanks to Kenny and Matt for their work on this book! I'm really excited to see the finished product! :whee:

I wish I had taken some closeup scans of the added piece in the lower left.

Yeah, this book was a royal mess. I have tons of photos of the before shots for those interested in seeing.

This book had massive amounts of material added. Color copies glued on top of each other, with the llfc copy acting as some sort of paint by numbers template. All glued with some sort of government issue "ACME" adhesive. And some seriously wicked CT.

doh!

I performed all the resto removal, structural work and all of the solid color CT. Matt deals with the finer stuff, because he is a wizard.

He will have final shots of the book once completed.

c6c4cbc6.jpg

5a777da2.jpg

d3e46261.jpg

61409ea0.jpg

Here is a shot of the cover, still wet after resto removal. This poor book went through the ringer.

4239e5e3.jpg

4c2e0800.jpg

75ebb691.jpg

abd6ccc1.jpg

c23f5607.jpg

Well, bad news.

Where did it get lost?

Being shipped back from Canada, it might still show up.

:wishluck:

Well, bad news.

Where did it get lost?

Being shipped back from Canada, it might still show up.

:wishluck:

:sorry:

I wish I had taken some closeup scans of the added piece in the lower left.

Yeah, this book was a royal mess. I have tons of photos of the before shots for those interested in seeing.

This book had massive amounts of material added. Color copies glued on top of each other, with the llfc copy acting as some sort of paint by numbers template. All glued with some sort of government issue "ACME" adhesive. And some seriously wicked CT.

doh!

I performed all the resto removal, structural work and all of the solid color CT. Matt deals with the finer stuff, because he is a wizard.

He will have final shots of the book once completed.

c6c4cbc6.jpg

5a777da2.jpg

d3e46261.jpg

61409ea0.jpg

Here is a shot of the cover, still wet after resto removal. This poor book went through the ringer.

4239e5e3.jpg

4c2e0800.jpg

75ebb691.jpg

abd6ccc1.jpg

c23f5607.jpg

And the More Fun #52 is back from Sarasota. Many thanks to Matt and Kenny at Classics Inc. for taking this comic from a probable 3.5 EA to this:

morefun52cgc.jpg

:whee:

Congrats Walter, I am thrilled it came back 7.0 for you. Wasn't Matts initial estimate 5.0-6.0?

So much old resto, tape and glue was removed from this book, it was like taking a 1.0 to a 7.0

Very satisfying.

And Matt's finishing work is impressive to say he least.