• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what are the ins and outs with pressing?

23 posts in this topic

gee another press for more $$$

Gee, uh, that's not what this is at all. I just started collecting comics again and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. As it pertains to my own I buy comics for my own collection and my collection alone. I just wanted to know if pressing is really is a safe form of restoration. I have no plans to sell any if them.

Was in the same boat as you. Started collecting a few select books a couple of months ago and was very surprised that pressing was not considered a form of restoration. I collect football and baseball cards too and in that hobby, pressing out creases IS considered a form of restoration.

Anyway, I wanted to know more about it as well. Based on my research surfing around and reading various posts, it seems to me that pressing is essentially tolerated because A) it's very difficult to detect, B) nothing (i.e. chemicals, pigments, etc..) is actually "added" to the book, and C) there are forms of "natural" pressing that occurs when books are stacked together for long periods of time. Personally, I think it's A) that's driving it.

Regarding C) just because something can occur naturally doesn't mean people will always accept it. What some in comics focus on is not what happened to a book but how it happened. Books that "naturally" acquired rogue inks through spills or a distribution marks, a kid writing his name, even somebody writing "inventory codes" on the books, are considered not a problem, whereas the same amount of post-printing ink (or, in many cases, a great deal less ink) can set some people off if it's judged to have been applied in a different way.

Likewise, some people would like to have the "natural" pressing differentiated from the "unnatural pressing." If they were differentiated by notes on the labels, you would see some buyers avoiding it but probably not a very significant amount. If, instead, the unnatural pressed books were put in special colored holders, and treated as other colored holders, you would see a great deal of difference in valuation.

Gee, uh, that's not what this is at all. I just started collecting comics again and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. As it pertains to my own I buy comics for my own collection and my collection alone. I just wanted to know if pressing is really is a safe form of restoration. I have no plans to sell any if them.

Was in the same boat as you. Started collecting a few select books a couple of months ago and was very surprised that pressing was not considered a form of restoration. I collect football and baseball cards too and in that hobby, pressing out creases IS considered a form of restoration.

Anyway, I wanted to know more about it as well. Based on my research surfing around and reading various posts, it seems to me that pressing is essentially tolerated because A) it's very difficult to detect, B) nothing (i.e. chemicals, pigments, etc..) is actually "added" to the book, and C) there are forms of "natural" pressing that occurs when books are stacked together for long periods of time. Personally, I think it's A) that's driving it.

Regarding C) just because something can occur naturally doesn't mean people will always accept it. What some in comics focus on is not what happened to a book but how it happened. Books that "naturally" acquired rogue inks through spills or a distribution marks, a kid writing his name, even somebody writing "inventory codes" on the books, are considered not a problem, whereas the same amount of post-printing ink (or, in many cases, a great deal less ink) can set some people off if it's judged to have been applied in a different way.

Likewise, some people would like to have the "natural" pressing differentiated from the "unnatural pressing." If they were differentiated by notes on the labels, you would see some buyers avoiding it but probably not a very significant amount. If, instead, the unnatural pressed books were put in special colored holders, and treated as other colored holders, you would see a great deal of difference in valuation.

:hi: Mr. BChip

:hi: Mr. BChip

Geez, Bunky,forgot I owe you an email. Are you going to SDCC?