• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what are the ins and outs with pressing?

23 posts in this topic

I'm used to coins where any form of "restoration" such as polishing, cleaning or dipping ruins the coin and the coin must then be attributed as being a problem coin. (The purple label, if you will).

But I'm learning on the board that, not only can comics be pressed, but they can end up in blue CGC labels. In the forum for selling comics there's someone selling come CGC 9.8 comics and he disclosed that they had been pressed.

So which comics can and can't be pressed? Can you tell when a comic has been pressed, or is it a real and true version of restoration?

Last, which comics are candidates for pressing? I have a Walking Dead 1 with three very small (about 1 mm) crease marks on the spine that do not break color.

gee another press for more $$$

then theres the grade, crack, & resubmit if you dont think the grade is right

At least with Signature Series you are stuck with the grade once you get it back

you can always hope for a bump (up & down) when you add signatures or sketches to the book

Gee, uh, that's not what this is at all. I just started collecting comics again and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. As it pertains to my own I buy comics for my own collection and my collection alone. I just wanted to know if pressing is really is a safe form of restoration. I have no plans to sell any if them.

I'm used to coins where any form of "restoration" such as polishing, cleaning or dipping ruins the coin and the coin must then be attributed as being a problem coin. (The purple label, if you will).

But I'm learning on the board that, not only can comics be pressed, but they can end up in blue CGC labels. In the forum for selling comics there's someone selling come CGC 9.8 comics and he disclosed that they had been pressed.

So which comics can and can't be pressed? Can you tell when a comic has been pressed, or is it a real and true version of restoration?

Last, which comics are candidates for pressing? I have a Walking Dead 1 with three very small (about 1 mm) crease marks on the spine that do not break color.

If you are not planning on submitting the books to CGC small imperfections are not worth pressing out.

Gee, uh, that's not what this is at all. I just started collecting comics again and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. As it pertains to my own I buy comics for my own collection and my collection alone. I just wanted to know if pressing is really is a safe form of restoration. I have no plans to sell any if them.

Depends on who you ask, it has been debated to death.

There's been some analysis done by the CBCA. The analysis is still being gathered and will be available soon. :wishluck:

At least with Signature Series you are stuck with the grade once you get it back

You can resub SS books for a regrade as long as you send it in still slabbed. That way it doesn't lose the SS designation.

There's been some analysis done by the CBCA. The analysis is still being gathered and will be available soon. :wishluck:

Yes!

That will be very interesting to see...

Was in the same boat as you. Started collecting a few select books a couple of months ago and was very surprised that pressing was not considered a form of restoration. I collect football and baseball cards too and in that hobby, pressing out creases IS considered a form of restoration.

Anyway, I wanted to know more about it as well. Based on my research surfing around and reading various posts, it seems to me that pressing is essentially tolerated because A) it's very difficult to detect, B) nothing (i.e. chemicals, pigments, etc..) is actually "added" to the book, and C) there are forms of "natural" pressing that occurs when books are stacked together for long periods of time. Personally, I think it's A) that's driving it.

Send it to classics incorparated

http://www.classicsincorporated.com/

Matt will let you know if it needs to be done or not, sub it at a minimum grade of 9.8, he will approve or reject it.

Decent price too, I think it is even a discount on modern submission if subbed thru him.

You can resub SS books for a regrade as long as you send it in still slabbed. That way it doesn't lose the SS designation.

You can even get a Signature Series pressed, resubbed for a possible higher grade, as long as the pressing co. is an authorized witness.

such as classics incorporated

Was in the same boat as you. Started collecting a few select books a couple of months ago and was very surprised that pressing was not considered a form of restoration. I collect football and baseball cards too and in that hobby, pressing out creases IS considered a form of restoration.

Anyway, I wanted to know more about it as well. Based on my research surfing around and reading various posts, it seems to me that pressing is essentially tolerated because A) it's very difficult to detect, B) nothing (i.e. chemicals, pigments, etc..) is actually "added" to the book, and C) there are forms of "natural" pressing that occurs when books are stacked together for long periods of time. Personally, I think it's A) that's driving it.

You've done your research well. I would add D) It is very profitable to your list.

There have been many heated threads here about pressing. Some people think

it is restoration and some don't.

restoration and some don't. There isn't a consensus

There have been many heated threads here about pressing. Some people think

it is restoration and some don't.

restoration and some don't. There isn't a consensus

This sentence needs to be restored. :baiting: