• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Jack Kirby Covers

107 posts in this topic

While not as dynamic as the mid to late 60's covers, this is another that I never get tired of.....love that aura of mystery. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FF13PC2.jpg

and for Tim

DD43sale-1.jpg

(thumbs u

Of course, I didn`t post a scan because the mark of a truly great cover is that it`s so great everyone knows it already and doesn`t need to see a pic! ;)

Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos #10 • September 1964 • July 1964 newsstand

Maybe best Ayers inks ever on Kirby.

SF10FSep64.jpg

With my favourite Fury cover pose.

FuryClose-Up.jpg

Johne Wayne would be proud.Wayne.jpg

So many to choose and I really can't but for sure DD 43 is one that grab my attention every time I see it. Every time that book is posted anywhere in this forum, I must stop and look and admire...love it.

Here is a book I want very badly. Probably one the the greatest if not the best War Covers IMHO.

Foxhole1.jpg

That is a truly great Kirby cover (thumbs u

showcase11.jpg

......you never cease to amaze, Rich Bedrock.....this one has a story that's every bit as cool as the cover....and the color on your copy is exquisite. GOD BLESS...

Thanks Jimbo (thumbs u The story is great, as are most of the early Kirby Challengers stories. But I really love the cover. There's something very cool about cover artwork that incorporates the logo in the action.

Thanks Jimbo (thumbs u The story is great, as are most of the early Kirby Challengers stories. But I really love the cover. There's something very cool about cover artwork that incorporates the logo in the action.

We were so fortunate that Kirby had the presence to carry this team concept to Marvel and re-configure it into the Fantastic Four. Those later Challengers with Kirby / Wood are some of the smoothest comics ever made (IMHO). When I got back into collecting again(for the third time lol ), I was scouring all the local shops for older Silver. I found fine condition copies of 4 and 6 for 50 bucks each and was totally hooked. It still took me over a year to put together the mini run of SC 6,7,11,12, plus COU 1-8.....even considering I was helping a local dealer do shows every weekend up and down the east coast. In some ways I miss the challenge of collecting in the pre internet days. GOD BLESS...

In some ways I miss the challenge of collecting in the pre internet days.

Isn't it weird how many of the comics that we used to think were impossible to find now are available daily at our fingertips? Instant gratification is only a click away. I remember searching for years for a Great Comics #3. Absolutely could not find one. Finally Steve Fishler showed up at San Diego with a copy he had saved for me. I couldn't believe it. (Even with the disagreements we have had in the last few years Stephen will always have a special place in my collecting heart). Now, even as tough as that book is, at least five copies have been offered in the last couple of years.

In some ways I miss the challenge of collecting in the pre internet days.

Isn't it weird how many of the comics that we used to think were impossible to find now are available daily at our fingertips? Instant gratification is only a click away. I remember searching for years for a Great Comics #3. Absolutely could not find one. Finally Steve Fishler showed up at San Diego with a copy he had saved for me. I couldn't believe it. (Even with the disagreements we have had in the last few years Stephen will always have a special place in my collecting heart). Now, even as tough as that book is, at least five copies have been offered in the last couple of years.

Now, that's a book that I've never ever seen in person....but then, so is Stuntman # 2.....a book I would love to find a restored fine copy at about a 150 bucks. I always had you pegged as a GA guy that dabbled in War.....I should have known better. My wallet also misses the pre internet days....it's so empty now.GOD BLESS...

P.S. Is it true that you used to own a large chunk of the Green River collection?