• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape inside a CGC graded book

14 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. Long time reader first time poster.

I searched the forum but didn't see anything regarding this, so please if there is a link that goes into detail send it my way.

I have been wanting to buy a X-Men 1 for a while now, and today purchased a 3.0 for $950. The book looks to present VERY well for a 3.0 with no marvel chipping, and centered very well with off white pages.

I think the price i paid for it is great, but there are 2 knocks on the book, the case is cracked in the lower left (does not affect the book at all), but the seller did let me know there is tape on the interior.

After buying i got a little concerned about the tape and was wondering if anyone on the forum had any advice.

How bad is tape on the book? Will the acid eventually destroy the book? Should i crack the slab, remove the tape, and have it resubmitted?

Any thoughts or guidance on the issue is greatly appreciated.

If you remove the tape, it may change the grade. It you have the tape replaced with archival tape, it will change the blue label to purple. I would say the damage is already done and leave it alone. Plus, I would only reholder a cracked slab if a) it bothers you or b) you plan on selling the book.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of cracking the slab anyways to have it sent to the masters signing i saw on the cgc site, and was wondering if that would be a good time to remove it.

After thinking about the acids i just wanted to make sure i won't end up with a book with a hole through it in 40 years.

I was aware of the cracked slab before i purchased it. I've been tracking some on ebay and recently a 3.0 went for $1,080 that was much less presentable, and had lots of marvel chipping.

You think $950 was a fair price?

It depends on what the tape is actually doing. If it is holding a piece of the book in place that would be detached otherwise, then leave it alone. The worst I have seen tape do is discolor the area, dry out, fall off and leave a tape stain behind. I guess it depends the type.

Plus, if you are getting the book SSed, the tape isn't going to do much more damage than the ink from the Sharpie over time.

Welcome to the boards! :hi:

Ok, I just did an eBay search and found your book. http://cgi.ebay.com/X-MEN-1-CGC-3-0-MARVEL-SILVER-AGE-KEY-ISSUE-WOW-/290583870477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a825fc0d

The seller disclosed everything about the tape and the crack so no fault there.

The tape has already damaged the book. The label says the tape is on the interior and you can see it already bleeding thru. If you enlarge the sixth picture, look at the word HEROES at the top of the book.

I would NOT try to remove it. You may damage the book even more. You can get it reholdered if you like. That's actually not expensive at all.

Overall, I say ENJOY the book and be proud of the purchase. My X-Men #1 is also a CGC 3.0. If you click on my registry banner in my signature line you can see pictures of it.

In my opinion you got a great looking book for a fair price! (thumbs u

Very nice book! I wouldn't have minded picking that one up either.

And yes everything was disclosed by the seller upfront, I just got a little anxious after making a quick purchase. I'd been wanting one for a while and the time just seemed right.

After reading what the boardies had to say though I am still very happy with the purchase.

My first silver age key!

It depends on what the tape is actually doing. If it is holding a piece of the book in place that would be detached otherwise, then leave it alone. The worst I have seen tape do is discolor the area, dry out, fall off and leave a tape stain behind. I guess it depends the type.

Old tape can just fall off.

Removing a piece of tape will generally leave a tape stain and will still be hammered by CGC. I once brought a book to Matt Nelson with a tiny piece of tape on the back cover inquiring about it's removal. He suggested I leave it alone because the grade of the book would not change much, maybe one tick higher but not worth the expense.

Leave it alone and enjoy the eye appeal of the book.