• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.2, will it cause 9.4 prices to stagnate?

5 posts in this topic

Now that the Annual Overstreet Guide is only going as high as 9.2, do you think it will cause market value 9.4 prices to stagnate?

My opinion is "quite possibly". 893whatthe.gif

I say this because, what happens in future Overstreet Annual Guides if there is NO JUSTIFICATION to increase mid-grade and up to 9.2 books? In other words, 9.4 guide value for most books was way to low, therefore, Overstreet could bump up the price 6-10% every year and still have plenty of room for error.

Now, by not showing 9.4, 9.2 and lower books will actually sell for closer to guide, therefore, there won't be as much room for error. It's possible that the increases in the lesser grades will be 0-3%, and I believe in turn will slow down or stagnate 9.4's increases in value.

Any opinions other the JC, who will say that all comics will be worth only 50% (or less) of their current value in 3 years, regardless of what Overstreet does. 893naughty-thumb.gif

My only concern over this whole matter is that with OS listing 9.0 and 9.2 it will show people just how much of a difference in "value" that 0.2 can be. I think this will increase dealers to "grade up just a little" knowing how the psychological impact of a tiny grade increase can affect the perception of the books value. Or something like that anyway. ----Sid confused-smiley-013.gif

My only concern over this whole matter is that with OS listing 9.0 and 9.2 it will show people just how much of a difference in "value" that 0.2 can be. I think this will increase dealers to "grade up just a little" knowing how the psychological impact of a tiny grade increase can affect the perception of the books value. Or something like that anyway. ----Sid

True but:

On Silver-Age CGC books, if

9.0 sells for $100

then

9.2 usually sells for between $150-175

then

9.4 usuallys sells for between $350-400

In other words if dealers only use the spread percent between 9.0 and 9.2 to calculate 9.4, they would (in general) be very low.

Now that the Annual Overstreet Guide is only going as high as 9.2, do you think it will cause market value 9.4 prices to stagnate?

We're talking raw non-key Silver and Bronze here, no?

Initially no.....over the next half year (end of con season), I think 9.4s will increase in value, or at least be more expensive from sellers trying to capitalize on the missing notation. From then on though, I think the prices will at least stagnate and more than likely fall as collectors will be looking for one of two things: 9.2 where they can get a gauge of a realistic price or a 9.6 in which they are (reasonably) assured multiples over OS's 9.2 price. 9.4s will be frowned upon as they will be on the border of both and could go either way on the grading. At least from a collector's point of view....

I still think OS made a serious mistake here that won't be quickly rectified by just including the 9.4 back in the guide next year......

Jim

9.4s will sell exactly as they (and all other grades) currently do, regardless of changes by Overstreet - - -for as much as seller can get from buyer! Why should this Ostreet change affect that equation? His current 9.4 prices are considered meaningless in terms of market prices for 9.4s... by not listing them al all wont affect them any more or less than before.

when prices settle down and the census fills out, Overstreet will then come back and print 9.4 prices again with some assurety (and conservativeness) as before.