• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone heard of "Big Little Books"?

38 posts in this topic

I dunno if it is a waste or not. I've never used it (don't own any BLBs), but it's good to have in case I do. And it's nice to see a list of them, what might stand out about them, etc. As for the values, I will assume they're pulled out of a hat/arse.

With that said, it would be nice if they could also (or replace it or victorian) have an underground section. It need not be as comprehensive as the one that comes out every 10 years, but honestly, "regular" comic collectors, i'd think, are a heck of a lot more likely to have a sub-interest in undergrounds (or pulps for that matter) than BLBs (or victorian), or so it seems. many of us here at least dabble in undergrounds and pulps. seriously, crumb, the fabulous freak brothers, cherry poptart... these are hardly obscure items.

Not to mention, with the OPG comic pricing becoming a little less relevant every day to many interweb-based comic collectors, having more useful "information" in the OPG will provide more of a reason to buy it.

In the early years of posting on these boards, I used to think it would be neat for Overstreet to cover the underground comix category. Now, not so much.

A nm-mint File Copy of the Shadow and the Ghost Makers BLB just sold on eBay tonight for $610. Copies of BLBs in high grade are scarce, and go for multiples of OPG.

It is also true the low grade, common BLBs go for less than OPG, just like comics.

I think any character with cross-over appeal sells OK, like the Shadow, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, the Phantom, Green Hornet, Tarzan, etc.

Others, like Big Chief Wahoo, maybe not so much?

Those are some sweet BLBs, Comics-n-ERB!

From what I understand, the John Carter is one of the hardest to find of all the BLBs.

How do you store them? Do you wrap them in mylite, like some recommend?

Yes, I cut the mylite to a smaller size then wrap them. Looks nice and protects them.

You can find the John Carter but NEVER in a nice grade.

This is the first Tarzan BLB. I doubt you would fine a nicer copy.

TarzanapesBLB.jpg

Big Little Books are very cool. My favorites are the Buck Rogers books, which have seriously cool old-school science fiction art. It's true that the market for BLB's is narrow, but then again so is the market for Platinum Age, Pulps, and Magazines. Doesn't make BLB's any less cool, just more of a niche area for comic-book fans.

That's great! Do you also have the hardcover Tarzan Twins or Tarzan in the Golden City?

Tarzan in the Golden City is an extremely hard to find item. It's a Whitman Premium give away book. I've only seen two copies. I've got one of them :acclaim:

Ask and you shall receive :cloud9:

TheTarzanTwinsBLB.jpg

Tarzangiveaways.jpg

I believe the Overstreet Comic Price Guide actually has a section for BLBs.

Yes, it's the biggest waste of ink and paper in the entire guide. Just don't tell Arnold Blumberg I said so!

You can tell me, it's OK. I haven't worked on that book in years, not my problem any more. :)

My old friend, Larry Lowery, has been the King of BLB's for many years, and no one knows more about them than Larry. Please check out his web site www.biglittlebooks.com if you want a great introduction to them.

Richard

My old friend, Larry Lowery, has been the King of BLB's for many years, and no one knows more about them than Larry. Please check out his web site www.biglittlebooks.com if you want a great introduction to them.

Richard

He was a big help during the research for the Big Little Book I did, and he absolutely is one of the most reliable authorities on the subject in the world. I second that.

I dunno if it is a waste or not. I've never used it (don't own any BLBs), but it's good to have in case I do. And it's nice to see a list of them, what might stand out about them, etc. As for the values, I will assume they're pulled out of a hat/arse.

With that said, it would be nice if they could also (or replace it or victorian) have an underground section. It need not be as comprehensive as the one that comes out every 10 years, but honestly, "regular" comic collectors, i'd think, are a heck of a lot more likely to have a sub-interest in undergrounds (or pulps for that matter) than BLBs (or victorian), or so it seems. many of us here at least dabble in undergrounds and pulps. seriously, crumb, the fabulous freak brothers, cherry poptart... these are hardly obscure items.

Not to mention, with the OPG comic pricing becoming a little less relevant every day to many interweb-based comic collectors, having more useful "information" in the OPG will provide more of a reason to buy it.

In the early years of posting on these boards, I used to think it would be neat for Overstreet to cover the underground comix category. Now, not so much.

Why? Do you think it will put the Fogels that comes out every 5-10 years out of business as it already caters to a small enough niche that losing a few potential purchasers might make it non-viable?

I guess it would be tough for OPG to have an underground section without plagiarizing the Fogels content.

I guess I just do 10 minutes of internet research on these things when I'm interested in them or have already picked them up and have some sense of what I have (though some of those crumb mini comics from the early 70's can be very confusing and I'm pretty sure I sold a few of them for wayyyyyyyyyy below FMV through a BIN a few years back when i thought they were later prints and I now think they were 1sts and 2ds..), but it's not so easy doing that out in "the field" (though now i have internet on my phone, so i guess i could). it would be nice to have a snapshot of whether, let's say, $20 is wayyyy too much for something and so on.

Why? Do you think it will put the Fogels that comes out every 5-10 years out of business as it already caters to a small enough niche that losing a few potential purchasers might make it non-viable?

I guess it would be tough for OPG to have an underground section without plagiarizing the Fogels content.

I guess I just do 10 minutes of internet research on these things when I'm interested in them or have already picked them up and have some sense of what I have (though some of those crumb mini comics from the early 70's can be very confusing and I'm pretty sure I sold a few of them for wayyyyyyyyyy below FMV through a BIN a few years back when i thought they were later prints and I now think they were 1sts and 2ds..), but it's not so easy doing that out in "the field" (though now i have internet on my phone, so i guess i could). it would be nice to have a snapshot of whether, let's say, $20 is wayyyy too much for something and so on.

Do you really want me to answer this, or would it suffice to say that no one would take their attempt seriously?

if they just ripped off the info in the last fogel's edition +/- 5% why wouldn't people take it "seriously"?

i understand, prices are all over the place on this kind of stuff, a guide is probably even more useless than the regular comic guide, but i wouldn't mind having some info and i don't collect the genre enough to justify spending $30 on fogels.