• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars Fan Days (with comic creators too), Dallas -- Oct 8-9 2011

57 posts in this topic

Cat Staggs and James O'barr were cancellations too

I guess it's a good thing I didn't bother sending books to Desert Wind ahead of time or go to the show in person. Most of the people I wanted to get books signed by didn't even show up.

Yeah, I was interested in Trimpe and could have actually gone due to a last minute travel change (I was supposed to be in CT this weekend), so I am glad I opted not to. I hate to miss a show, but I suppose that is better than driving 10 hours round trip to be disappointed. After the excellent May show done by the same folks I am surprised and disappointed by these reports.

Yeah, I was interested in Trimpe and could have actually gone due to a last minute travel change (I was supposed to be in CT this weekend), so I am glad I opted not to. I hate to miss a show, but I suppose that is better than driving 10 hours round trip to be disappointed. After the excellent May show done by the same folks I am surprised and disappointed by these reports.

You have to understand, I've known the promotors for 20 years this year, comic shows are not his forte'.

The next actual comic convention should be fine.

You have to understand, I've known the promotors for 20 years this year, comic shows are not his forte'.

I'm a bit confused. Comic shows aren't his forte, but the next actual comic show should be fine?

I'm a bit confused. Comic shows aren't his forte, but the next actual comic show should be fine?

I used to live in Texas and went to several of these shows...

The guy he's talking about puts on 4 shows a year. 2 of them are comic-focused, on is Sci-Fi, and one is Star Wars-specific. There is some overlap between shows (some Star Wars guests will be at the comic-focused show and comic guests will be at the Star Wars show), but the shows that emphasize comics do a much better job of making comics and their creators the priority. For this show, Star Wars is the priority.

Illinois :luhv:

Speaking of Dallas, I wish they would start releasing some info on that show already!

:gossip: And the Longhorns are likely to get the beatdown of their lives in that OU game. I'm no Sooners fan, but did you see the last Texas game?

48-7 is my prediction OU.

It ended up 55-17 after a gift touchdown in garbage time for UT, so not a bad prediction...

What was ever more shocking was that Texas was ranked #11 for being such a middle of the road team.

Shocking is Michigan will now be ranked 11th in the nation.

The show, while slow and with a ton of cancellations (including Jaime King, there went my sin city ss...) still had a lot of good deals. Black Cat, Duncanville had their usual solid offerings,and a couple of guys from Missouri had some cool stuff as I hadn't seen them set up before, wd 1-up, miracleman keys, league of extraordinary gentlemen recalled, elseworlds recalled, gl76 and other misc keys . After the show I hit up a couple of local shops (titan, zeus, and tragically-Keiths comics with mixed results). Getting back on the main roads is a headache from the Irving Convention Center-but the center itself is awesome.

One table in particular had me speechless. They were selling raw sigs by creators who don't charge, on random $1 books and had them priced between 20-50 a pop.

Lots of cosplay, lots of leia's, and lots of star wars voice actors. Lots of vintage star wars toys loose and/or moc.

I picked up about 30 copper and modern books and didn't have to make an extra trip to the ATM, which is either good or bad depending on how you look at it. It was a short drive and free lodging for me, I feel bad for anyone who traveled further than I did.

Steranko was pretty pimp.

I know the guy you are talking about with the sigs. He is so fracking annoying and sounds like a carnival barker. Every five minutes he shouts " THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF SIGED COMICS IN THE MIDWEST" How annoying

Hope the show went better than it sounded from yesterday. I was really looking forward to going, but need to save the bankroll for Austin. I really hope the Austin show knocks it out of the park, as last year was decent, but could have been better. The guest list is still being added to, with quality guests, I just hope for the quality material to be there too.

I would have to give a long history lesson as to these shows for you to fully understand. As I've said, I've know the primary promotor for 20 years. Maybe tomorrow I'll post the long story. The short version is, you just have to take my word for it. (thumbs u