• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the most important back-up story in a comic?

33 posts in this topic

Over the years some great characters came to be from back-up stories. Some time the back-up stories were better and more important then the cover stories. I was wondering what you think may be key important back-up stories. Two that I believe are key important issues are...

DETECTIVE COMICS #225 (11/55) 1st new silver age hero J'onn J'onzz, Martian Manhunter.

and

Early X-MEN issues that have brief origins of spotlighted X-Men. These early back-up stories explained why they were mutants. Made sence of the whole mutant thing.

So what do you feel are important or key back-up stories in comics?

Im going to say the Legion stories in the various books they played second fiddle in. Also the Manhunter run in detective of the early 70s.

Wolverines first solo story was in a Hulk treasury Edition,and the Surfers first solo was in a FF annual.

They don't have a great deal of importance, but I loved the Tales of Asgard backup stories in Journey Into Mystery. They were pure Kirby showing great imagination playing with the Norse mythos. Again, although not especially important, I loved the Green Lantern backups in Flash with Adams art, after GL lost his own title.

Detect 437 up featuring Manhunter by Len Wein? & Walt Simonson. Most were back ups in the 100 pg comics except for 1st chapter. Culminated with "Gotterdamerung" when Batman x-overed into the Manhunter storyline. FAB-U-LOUS ! flowerred.gif

Definitely, the Manhunter strip in Detective 437-443. (Remember Odin/Aardvark-- it's Archie Goodwin, not Len Wein) thumbsup2.gif

Others have mentioned the Cockrum Legion backups in Superboy.

How about...

- John Carter of Mars by Murphy Anderson (back of Kubert's Tarzan)

- Early Enemy Ace stories behind Sgt. Rock in Our Army at War

- Solo Green Arrow stories by Giordano, then Grell in the back of Action Comics

- Several cool World of Krypton stories (Kaluta, Cockrum, Gray Morrow) in Superman

- Often the war backups outshone the leads (Losers, Unknown Soldier, Haunted Tank) in Goodwin's DC war books

- Dr. Fate by Keith Giffen in the Flash post 300.

And I always thought any Strange Tales with Steranko Nick Fury art buried behind a post-Ditko Dr. Strange cover was a shame...

Others have mentioned the Cockrum Legion backups in Superboy.

How about...

- John Carter of Mars by Murphy Anderson (back of Kubert's Tarzan)

- Several cool World of Krypton stories (Kaluta, Cockrum, Gray Morrow) in Superman

- Dr. Fate by Keith Giffen in the Flash post 300.

The Giffen Dr. Fates were the first ones that popped to my mind, that got me into Giffen and I followed him to the Legion, which then rekindled my love of that title (to the detriment of my wallet ever since). Also loved the World of Krypton and John Carter back ups. Someone else on this thread mentioned Tales of Asgard, which were great too.

I loved The Question back ups from Charlton's Blue Beetle books by Steve Ditko. Done right after his work on Spider-Man, very surreal and compelling stuff. One of the strangest crime fighters of all time.

How about the First Appearance (and subsequent stories) of Dr. Strange?

Yep! STRANGE TALES #110 1st app. of Dr. Strange. Burried behind a lame Torch story. Didn't even make cover. Shame! 893naughty-thumb.gif And a important story at that. It brough the supernatural into the MARVEL universe.

A more recent back-up story that I'm following, not nessessarly a key story, but good, is TAILOR in DETECTIVE.

Those TALES OF THE WATCHER in TOS were pretty good too.

I have to agree,that may be the most important back -up of all "Wonder Woman",& I also agree ,about the Atomic Knights in Strange adventures,& Doc Strange in Strange Tales!!!! cloud9.gif

How about the First Appearance (and subsequent stories) of Dr. Strange? confused-smiley-013.gif

Beat me to it. I LOVE Doc Strange (especially the earlier issues and have often lobbyed for a good Doc Strange movie). Have to say that for SA Marvel - that back story has to take the vote.