• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fake Kirby sketch on eBay?

7 posts in this topic

To me, regardless of whether it's authentic or not, as an art collector, you'd probably want a piece of the quality that Jack Kirby is known for, not a half-hearted doodle.

That's why, in part, I do appreciate artists and understand why some artists refuse to do quick convention sketches, not wanting their name associated with inferrior art.

Either they're going to do it right, and take the time and efforts, or not at all.

It's the same with signatures in the autograph collecting world, and some celebrities signatures vary in quality, from a pen barely touching an item to a hand gesture that resembles a signature, to others who take the time to actually sign their name in a consistent manner.

That's my opinion at least.

Regarding signatures, one of the things I absolutely despise is when some celebrity (comic, film, or author) can't be bothered to do more than scribble a first initial and then a line. 20 years from now, how the hell am I supposed to remember whose signature is on the comic that I got signed at a convention? And if I ever HAVE to sell the book, how will I convince a buyer that the signature is authentic when there isn't enough to authenticate? I find the line thing more prevalent with big name authors (who have long lines) and comic artists who sign with Sharpies than anyone else, but nearly all celebrities that I have met have nearly illegible signatures. Fine when you're signing a check for your groceries, but I think fans should get better than your local grocery store.

Regarding signatures, one of the things I absolutely despise is when some celebrity (comic, film, or author) can't be bothered to do more than scribble a first initial and then a line. 20 years from now, how the hell am I supposed to remember whose signature is on the comic that I got signed at a convention? And if I ever HAVE to sell the book, how will I convince a buyer that the signature is authentic when there isn't enough to authenticate? I find the line thing more prevalent with big name authors (who have long lines) and comic artists who sign with Sharpies than anyone else, but nearly all celebrities that I have met have nearly illegible signatures. Fine when you're signing a check for your groceries, but I think fans should get better than your local grocery store.

Not always the answer, but a good reason for CGC SS.