• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good news for all Fantastic Four Collectors...

71 posts in this topic

I've bought Ultimate FF. Haven't read issues 2-4, but I'm definitely buying them.

Now we are way off-topic... foreheadslap.gif

No we're not...this is an "FF General Discussion Thread." Doesn't that mean we talk about me? boo.gif

In attempt to get somewhat back on topic...anybody reading Ultimate Fantastic Four? I'm enjoying that more than any FF issues since Byrne wrote the title in the 80s. I've been thinking for years that it would be nice if Marvel put some FF content out to inspire people to collect the Silver Age issues out of a reason other than nostalgia for buying them off the stands, and I'm wondering whether UFF will fit that bill in some similar way that Ultimate Spider-Man did for Spidey following the clones debacle of the late 90s. I wouldn't be collecting FF if not for Byrne...I wonder if Bendis will bring in back issue interest? confused-smiley-013.gif

...anybody reading Ultimate Fantastic Four?

I've read the first four issues...and the flow of the writing is a bit of a shock for someone who hasn't otherwise read a new comic in a decade. I like the origin story so far, but Lee could have written the same basic story (and kept the nuance) while keeping it contained to a single issue.

The art is pretty cool though. grin.gif

...anybody reading Ultimate Fantastic Four?

I've read the first four issues...and the flow of the writing is a bit of a shock for someone who hasn't otherwise read a new comic in a decade. I like the origin story so far, but Lee could have written the same basic story (and kept the nuance) while keeping it contained to a single issue.

The art is pretty cool though. grin.gif

I've only gotten the first 3 issues.

OK so far! thumbsup2.gif

The art is a gorgeous one to behold and the story so far isn't very far from the top notch art quality on the book...i'm very interested on the new story arcs by W. Ellis!!!

How many months/years until us, FF collectors, will have the nº50-100 Kirby/Lee run out of reach?! Looks like even without the movie hype this seires is steadly climbing on the price guide...and nothing seems to hold these beauties from going skyrocket...!!!

I like the origin story so far, but Lee could have written the same basic story (and kept the nuance) while keeping it contained to a single issue.

I don't think Lee could have. First off, the quality of Bendis's writing wouldn't be what it is without some of the innovations Stan and his artists made. The current crop of writers have built upon the success he had with creating introspectively complex characters, and their plots, story ideas, and dialogue are most often MUCH better than what Stan did. Stan didn't have himself or guys like Claremont, Miller, or Byrne to learn from and improve upon, so naturally, the writing of the modern guys is going to be much more solid. That's how human nature is.

Second, Stan didn't do all the writing--all he did was jot down the story idea and let Kirby develop it. An artist can create great action scenes and possibly a compelling plot, but it's harder for them to create a really innovative plot that directly and effectively integrates with the story concept like the writer of that story concept can. Most modern comics writers give "stage direction" to their artists and -script out the entire plot, so the writing is a much more integrated, unified whole. This is why Frank Miller is regarded as such a genius--he did both the writing AND the art, which leads to an even GREATER level of unity since he was able to match his art style to his elements of fiction (story/plot/theme/character/dialogue). Case in point as to how Bendis and the modern approach is better than Stan's Marvel Method--that scene in Ultimate Fantastic Four #4 where Johnny is being held in that huge isolation chamber by his father so he's forced to learn how to control his flame. The nuances of that scene are almost IMPOSSIBLE to develop using Stan's approach; you've got to -script out everything to make it work. The scenes on page 3 where Johnny is trying to figure out how to control his flame are nuances that Stan never directly told Jack to do, and Jack never really did himself. It's not that I think Jack couldn't create a scene which developed character like that one does, but most often the artist is too focused on all the elements of visual composition of each individual story frame to worry about the elements of fiction which tie the frames together like most modern writers do.

You get consistently better work if the writer is responsible for all elements of fiction and the artist focuses on turning that vision into reality. Stan didn't do this; he left part of the writing up to the artists so he could be more prolific. It probably wasn't his fault; I'm sure the focus back then was much more on the art than the stories and that Martin Goodman wouldn't let him hire a writing staff even if he wanted one.

The nuances of that scene are almost IMPOSSIBLE to develop using Stan's approach; you've got to -script out everything to make it work.

Okay, strike my original comment..the nuance would've been hard to reproduce. I just don't think a whole lot has happened in four issues....its good so far, just moving very slowly. I'll just have to adapt to this new style of writing...maybe its time to trade in my bell-bottoms too. tongue.gif

I read Ultimate FF and like it (just like the rest of Bendis' stuff), but I am also a big fan of Mark Waid's FF run. The heaven story was a little hokey, but apart from that, it's been superb.

Now we are way off-topic... foreheadslap.gif

No we're not...this is an "FF General Discussion Thread." Doesn't that mean we talk about me? boo.gif

In attempt to get somewhat back on topic...anybody reading Ultimate Fantastic Four? I'm enjoying that more than any FF issues since Byrne wrote the title in the 80s. I've been thinking for years that it would be nice if Marvel put some FF content out to inspire people to collect the Silver Age issues out of a reason other than nostalgia for buying them off the stands, and I'm wondering whether UFF will fit that bill in some similar way that Ultimate Spider-Man did for Spidey following the clones debacle of the late 90s. I wouldn't be collecting FF if not for Byrne...I wonder if Bendis will bring in back issue interest? confused-smiley-013.gif

Okay, strike my original comment..the nuance would've been hard to reproduce. I just don't think a whole lot has happened in four issues....its good so far, just moving very slowly. I'll just have to adapt to this new style of writing...maybe its time to trade in my bell-bottoms too. tongue.gif

Do what I do--stack the issues up until a story arc is done. That's the only way I can effectively read these long, modern story arcs. I only read UFF 1 thru 4 an issue at a time because I was anxious to see how good a job Bendis could do.

Think about the more intricate character development and interactions Bendis is setting up. Another example--in FF #1, Mole Man is this weird-arse character that seems incredibly unrealistic. I never got his motivations, nor how he formed his bond with all those damn monsters--he just has no tie to any real human whatsoever the way he's presented. Bendis's version of Mole Man is SO much better! First, he's got a tie to the FF since he was a teacher at their school, and second, Bendis is developing his relationship to the monsters a lot better. Not perfect or complete--yet--but much, much better. More questions are being answered about who he is and why he does what he does. Obviously, he's able to make these improvements by taking Stan's already-famous work and making it better, but he's doing a great job at it.

The whole Doom tie to the FF is looking MUCH better, also. In the original FF, Ben had Reed alone to blame--and Reed himself--for making Ben a monster. But now it's looking like he's got Doom to blame along with Reed, and that Doom may be much more responsible. This should make Doom a much more intimate and compelling enemy than he is outside the Ultimate line.

Do what I do--stack the issues up until a story arc is done. That's the only way I can effectively read these long, modern story arcs. I only read UFF 1 thru 4 an issue at a time because I was anxious to see how good a job Bendis could do.

I hear ya..maybe I should wait for the first UFF TPB. grin.gif

Nice breakdown of the storyline so far, FF. I'm enjoying this book almost as much as the regular title, and can't wait for Eillis to take over. Should get Doom in the second story arc. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif