• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good news for all Fantastic Four Collectors...

71 posts in this topic

...You have a new competitor acclaim.gif

I just couldn't leave the run out of my silver age want list anymore.

Some of the covers are classic. I especially love 26 cloud9.gif

Doctor Doom is one of the best villians ever created IMHO

Anyone got any suggestions on where to start the collection? Considering i am only after silver age.

Danny

As another FF collector (tho' leaning more towards Bronze), I'd suggest waiting until you find a 10.0 copy of #1... don't settle for anything less!

wink.gif

What sort of grades are you looking for? Do you need the actual books or would Masterworks be an option?

Since I'm not made of money, I have gotten the Masterworks and kept a few of my favorites on the individual issue want list. Good deals on high-grade books are very few and far between (of course, that depends on your definition of a good deal... just got a F/VF copy of FF Annual #4 - which reprints FF #26, BTW - for $8 delivered).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Anyone got any suggestions on where to start the collection? Considering i am only after silver age.

Danny

Best Silver Age run there is: FF 38-60:

Frightful Four battle, FF lose their powers in an atomic blast: 38

Powerless FF battle Dr. Doom, Daredevil crossover, classic Dr. Doom battle: 39-40

Thing leaves FF, FF break-up: 41-43

Introduction of the Inhumans - Gorgon, Karnak only: 44

First full Inhumans: 45

Classic Inhumans battle issues 46-47

Silver Surfer, Galactus: 48-50

Legendary "This Man This Monster" story: 51

Intro Black Panther: 52-53

Inhumans story: 54

Thing vs. Silver Surfer: 55

First Klaw: 56

Dr. Doom battle, Silver Surfer crossover, gives Dr. Doom the "power cosmic": 57-60

You can't go wrong - Stan and Jack in their absolute mastery period. cloud9.gif

Best Silver Age run there is: FF 38-60:

You can't go wrong - Stan and Jack in their absolute mastery period. cloud9.gif

I have to agree with Donut. These issues are awesome & some of the best stories in the entire Marvel Pantheon! Gotta go dig out a few & read 'em tonight! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for all of the help so far guys.

I know there are some other very big FF fans out there.

uclapeterg and Aces come to mind, you guys got anything to chime in on the thread?

Danny

Grr...another competitor! 893frustrated.gif

Actually, I have a few Silver Age FF's in high grade that I might move in the hopes of saving for our house. All CGC 9.2 - 9.6. PM me if you'd like a list! Thanks and good luck in your collecting, grin.gif

Dan

Grr...another competitor! 893frustrated.gif

Actually, I have a few Silver Age FF's in high grade that I might move in the hopes of saving for our house. All CGC 9.2 - 9.6. PM me if you'd like a list! Thanks and good luck in your collecting, grin.gif

Dan

Ah, Drummy i forgot about you, one of the biggest FF collectors on this board possibly?

thumbsup2.gif

I don't collect FF's because they are selling at full value almost all the time (I try to collect undervalued titles first).

My recomendation would be work on issues #1-34 first. The issues after that are in more plentiful supply (in grades between 8.0-9.4) and while not always cheap, they are offer for sale rather frequently.

My point is: I can see 9.0-9.4 copies of issues #35 and higher selling for around the same price in two years as they are selling for today.

Example (all analysis from GPAnalysis):

#65 (minor key) in 9.4

Sale in April 2003 $450

Sale in Jan 2004 $408 & $365

#55 (minor key) in 9.4

Sale in June 2002 $836

Sale in April 2004 $736

Obvioulsy there are more examples, but you probably get my point. Plus, just check out the census.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the FF club! hi.gif

Are you looking to buy right away?

I have an almost complete run from issue 6 to 150something I was going to be listing on eBay in May/June.

Most above 100 are VFish with many VF-NMs.

51-100 are F to VF

27-50 are VG to F

13-26 are mostly VG

6-12 are G to VG

Includes the annuals too in same grade as the contemporary issues.

I agree totally with what Sfilosa said. In the last 6 months I have focused the bulk of my purchases on early FF's, with the odd issues 50, 55, 72 & 73 picked up simply because I love them. Might as well buy them now because if you wait for a year or two you will kicking yourself. Just stay away from the stuff I'm bidding on. insane.gif

flamed.gifboo.giftonofbricks.gif

Danny

Anything new or updated on your list I should know about? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hi,

If you have the money, I suggest starting with 48-50. 48 is fairly common, but it is a must have. 49 and 50 will be tough, but are classic. Then, I would go for the other main Silver Surfer issues 55, 57-60, 72, 74-77. You can't go wrong with those. After that, you'll be addicted and want them all. Good luck!!!!

Like a lot of collectors i am going to buy CGC copies at the highest grade i can get and then have a reader copy with it.

Does that mean 9.4/9.6/9.8 only? If not, what's the lowest grade you'll go after?

Like a lot of collectors i am going to buy CGC copies at the highest grade i can get and then have a reader copy with it.

Does that mean 9.4/9.6/9.8 only? If not, what's the lowest grade you'll go after?

I couldn't go for 9.6 and 9.8 at the moment.

I would be looking for the grades i could get, 1 would be low grade and i would get higher grades as the prices went down.

Aces, i would be interested in some of those at the right price, but no 5??? frown.gif

Frightful Four battle, FF lose their powers in an atomic blast: 38

Powerless FF battle Dr. Doom, Daredevil crossover, classic Dr. Doom battle: 39-40

My favorite FF issues. thumbsup2.gif I love when Thing goes ballistic on Dr Doom at the end and beats the [!@#%^&^] out of him.