• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Overstreet Surprises...

280 posts in this topic

Since you sniped me on the #43...YOU'RE NOT WELCOME!!!

My God man, enter a REAL bid...you knew it was going to go for more then the starting price...

Heck, I sold my 9.2 with a big funky corner crease last year for $300+ .

Besides, you still own that FF 52 9.6....so you have no right to complain. mad.gifwink.gif

Heres a question....has the rather modest jump in prices throughout the guide caused anyone to re-evaluate what condition they will continue to go after? Dealers will charge new guide values regardless of the feelings of the comic book community that the prices are just too high. I for one have always been a mid-grade collector, happily swallowing up $50 books, but the bump up in pricing has got me thinking about lowering my choices from fine to vg. I know the majority of ppl on here chase the nm books, but has the price jump caused you to change your collecting habits? cool.gif

I know the majority of ppl on here chase the nm books, but has the price jump caused you to change your collecting habits? cool.gif

I'm not going to be buying much of anything, other than the odd low-priced VF to VF/NM Bronze lots.

Some of these 9.2 prices on Bronze to Modern comics are just insane, and it boggles the mind that OS would hasten a crash like this. Did they not learn anything from their role in the early-90's meltdown? foreheadslap.gif

I know the majority of ppl on here chase the nm books, but has the price jump caused you to change your collecting habits? cool.gif

I'm not going to be buying much of anything, other than the odd low-priced VF to VF/NM Bronze lots.

Some of these 9.2 prices on Bronze to Modern comics are just insane, and it boggles the mind that OS would hasten a crash like this. Did they not learn anything from their role in the early-90's meltdown? foreheadslap.gif

There, ya' see. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. grin.gif

I think that, with the exception of truly rare or key high grade books, dealers will have to accomodate the market trends; if collectors start watching their wallets, dealers will have to be willing to lower their profit margins.

Personally, I see a bit of a lull in the current market...pre-summer slump, or post New OS hangover?

I think that, with the exception of truly rare or key high grade books, dealers will have to accomodate the market trends; if collectors start watching their wallets, dealers will have to be willing to lower their profit margins.

Personally, I see a bit of a lull in the current market...pre-summer slump, or post New OS hangover?

I completely agree, and i do hope they drop prices.....but i also see a bad side-affect of that, namely huge inconsistencies in values. One dealer might sell at new values while another dealer may have to drop his price by 10-20% before he sells. Huge price variances.

Huge price variances.

I think you're right, this is inevitable, but not necessarily problematic. As long as you watch the market, pay your GPAnalysis subscription, and don't get caught up in any bidding wars...you should be okay.

Heres another question......who will break first, the collectors or the dealers? Will the collectors finally give in to the new prices or will they wait it out and make the dealers succumb to lowering their prices?

welll... seems to me that the dealers will hold out and we collectors will buy all the crack we need cause thats what we do. Until the crash that is...

think you're right, this is inevitable, but not necessarily problematic. As long as you watch the market, pay your GPAnalysis subscription, and don't get caught up in any bidding wars...you should be okay.

First, No Doubt that the date stamp in the middle of the book, killed the market for the FF #55. I looked at it, saw the date stamp and didn't give it a second thought. As long as it doesn't bother you, great!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Second, there is definitely a lull in the books coming to market on eBay, and in many cases, books are selling for no more than they did a year ago. I don't know if it's the new guide or just the quality of the material. Also, Heritage having Signature auctions every two months (one in February, one in April and another one in June) has to have an effect. I for one, save my money for them as they usually have a few books from dealers websites but with reserves at HALF THE PRICE.

Third, especially with Marvel Silver-Age books, it really seems that the high value books are being sold over and over again. I pointed out one insistence where the same JIM #83 in CGC 9.0 was sold four times in less than 9 months. It seems with these books, it's a hot potato and now that the prices are a little stagnate, someone is going to have to hold on to the potato. 893whatthe.gif

First, No Doubt that the date stamp in the middle of the book, killed the market for the FF #55.

No doubt about that now...Lauderbach's CGC 9.2 copy with white pages and no date stamp just went for over double the price at $375! shocked.gif

First, No Doubt that the date stamp in the middle of the book, killed the market for the FF #55.

No doubt about that now...Lauderbach's CGC 9.2 copy with white pages and no date stamp just went for over double the price at $375! shocked.gif

Do you mean that Bob still have some of his prices too low in the latest edition of the guide, especially since most of us seem to be complaining that he must be smoking something by raising prices so high this time?

Just when I was starting to get used to the newest term in comic book pricing after reading some of these threads: fractions of guide. 27_laughing.gif

Heres another question......who will break first, the collectors or the dealers? Will the collectors finally give in to the new prices or will they wait it out and make the dealers succumb to lowering their prices?

For late Silver/Bronze? The dealers.....the majority of collectors are going to balk at the new price variations that OS has created and aren't going to play the "guess the HG price" game.

Jim

Pre convention season slump......if it continues into July though, I'd be worried it something more....

Jim

Pre convention season slump......if it continues into July though, I'd be worried it something more....

Jim

For me, Heritage is the single biggest factor for why I haven't purchased a book on eBay in ages. They're where the action is for HG silver DC these days and soaking up all my spending money.

Jim

For me, Heritage is the single biggest factor for why I haven't purchased a book on eBay in ages. They're where the action is for HG silver DC these days and soaking up all my spending money.

Is it because you're getting the comics cheaper or they have the comics you're looking for in one convienent place?

Jim

Is it because you're getting the comics cheaper or they have the comics you're looking for in one convienent place?

Jim

I wish it was because the comics are cheaper!!! No, Heritage are simply the main game in town when it comes to the two types of comics that I focus on: pre-1964 NM DC silver and NM GA/Atomic Age ducks. Unless I'm overlooking someone, no other dealer consistently offers these types of books in the same quantity and quality as Heritage (with the possible exception of Mark Wilson, and he certainly has been the beneficiary of some of my purchases in the past, but his site has been a bit dry lately).

Personally, I think this is more an example of a cooling market (at least on this book), then of "date stamp avoidance".

I know I am not the only one who doesn't mind date stamps (I actually like them; it gives a book character....acknowledges a specific moment in time, if you will, when a book was first new.) Its hard for me to accept that a simple date stamp will devalue an otherwise nice high grade book by a factor of two or three. There are plenty of high grade FF collectors on ebay who have bought books from me with more glaring problems...so I tend to believe this is a more widespread trend.

Of course, the White Mountain # 55, complete with its penned arrival date, which Metro bought for $450 off of ebay last year, is still sitting on their website at $550...so who knows?