• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Overstreet Surprises...

280 posts in this topic

"I think I should start charging a fee...."

You could try $25, that's cover price for a copy of the book. But I don't think they're interested in paying it.

Arnold

Why would I when I can get it for $14? makepoint.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if someone has their OS could they give me the Cap 100 breakdown?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.0 = $31

4.0 = $62

6.0 = $93

8.0 = $228

9.0 = $339

9.2 = $450

Great!!!! 893frustrated.gif

If you take all the sales in 2003 on GPAnalysis and exclude the two pedigree copies sold, you get an average price of $425 for CGC 9.2.

So apparently, a RAW copy is WORTH more than a CGC'd copy. shocked.gif

If looks like Overstreet has consistently undervalued high-grade books and NOW has decided to OVERVALUE some of them.

893whatthe.gif

Just a quick thought here.

Daredevil #1 in the guide last year was $3200 in 9.4

This year it is $3800 in 9.2.

So how much do you think a raw NM copy will go for ?

That question is irrelevant as you will never see a legitimate raw NM Daredevil #1 for sale. If you do, it is vastly overgraded or a scam. Same with other NM key books of that calibur.-----Sid

...I think its the most realistic effort to reflect Market prices that I have seen from OS in years.

Yeah, but which market - raw or slabbed? confused-smiley-013.gif

Intentional or not, OS just doubled NM price guide values across the board (unless there are books that are actually listed at less in 9.2 this year than at 9.4 last year). Oh well, time to pick up the guide and re-price my inventory accordingly! grin.gif

Banner;

Have to agree with Jiveturkey here. Based on what I've seen so far, OS has really gone against past trend this time and appears to have made a very serious effort to get much closer to real market prices.

As I've pointed out in the past, I have always believed that OS attempts to reflect both the raw and slabbed prices in their guide. In the past, it was leaning more towards the raw market and this edition appears to be leaning more to the slabbed market. This again also appears to be an accurate reflection of the changing marketplace as slabbed books gain greater and greater prominence in the marketplace.

Yes, there are some books that list at less in 9.2 this year than at 9.4 last year. Perfect example of this would be AF #15 which guided at $48K last year in NM and only at $42.5K this year in NM-. Should point out to you that the OPCR has the 9.4 listed at $94K this year. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Hmmm.....big difference of over $50 grand for only a 0.2 differnce in grade. Puts a lot of pressure on Steve and the CGC gang to get it right. Don't know if this is a realistic expectation since grading is still an art and not a science.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe there'll be a really big demand for industrial presses on eBay as everybody tries to get that slight upgrade in their books in order to more than double their money! 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

That question is irrelevant as you will never see a legitimate raw NM Daredevil #1 for sale. If you do, it is vastly overgraded or a scam. Same with other NM key books of that calibur.-----Sid

People do still have raw silver nm books in their collection. They most likely aren't going to be up for sale until the owner dies or is forced to sell.

Where do the CGC nm books come from?....i.e. they were obviously raw at some point. Not everyone wants their book in a slab. Sorry, I just have problems with people using absolutes(nothing personal). Yes, there are most likely few nm silver books around, but it is still possible.

Hmmm.....big difference of over $50 grand for only a 0.2 differnce in grade. Puts a lot of pressure on Steve and the CGC gang to get it right. Don't know if this is a realistic expectation since grading is still an art and not a science.

A very good point. Although we have discussed these minor differences in grade verses price before, it seems that the gap is getting even wider the longer CGC is around. I just hope that grading consistency can be maintained. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Where do the CGC nm books come from?....i.e. they were obviously raw at some point. Not everyone wants their book in a slab. Sorry, I just have problems with people using absolutes(nothing personal). Yes, there are most likely few nm silver books around, but it is still possible.

I agree entirely. I've been arguing this for years here--there should be no built-in difference in raw and slabbed pricing. A price listed for an unrestored, high-grade comic should be the price listed for an unrestored, high-grade comic, regardless of whether it's in a slab or not. If you price the raws separately from the slabbed, then the misperception begins to grow that people are paying for the slab and not the book, when in reality for most expensive vintage comics, people are paying for the book itself--the slab is just an assurance of quality (I'm not talking about sub-$100 books where restoration isn't a risk, particularly slabbed Moderns--that's an entirely different market and the motivations for buying slabs are different). Is the quality assured by the slab 100% accurate? No, but NOBODY'S grading is given the current scale and current standards. But it's just about as good as it currently gets.

Sellers who convince buyers they can grade and/or detect restoration well have gotten multiples of guide for raw books for years. Ironically, comic-keys is one of the best examples of this! He has always gotten multiples for his color-touched and trimmed, doctored EBay scans.

People do still have raw silver nm books in their collection.

True, but I've been witness to many of those high grade books that people bought in the 80s and 90s coming back from CGC as either overgraded and/or restored. Unless I knew I was buying from an original owner, I couldn't think of spending more then $2-3K on a high grade raw purchase. CGC is not only an Insurance policy against undetected restoration, its a reality check for those books purchased as "Mint" way back when.