• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I sent of my Walking Dead #1 to joeypost today for pressing...

509 posts in this topic

i just got to say....it's about time that we have a pressing debate again. feels like an eternity since the last one.

Honestly I think CGC should have adopted the tried and true industry standards for coin grading (ala their NGC division).

Problem coins are given a grade with a "Details" designation.

VF-35 Details

(Corrosion)

Or

VF-35 Details

(Cleaned)

How about

9.0 Details

(Slight Color Touch)

?

Interestingly NCS is a division of NGC/CGC who actually does professional coin restoration, purportedly in a manner that is undetectable.

(tsk) we don't talk about those types here....

Alright a pressing thread. It's been so long since one has been posted. I mean all the excitement we've had are dealer complaint threads from some tools (me included) lol

My opinion....Pressing is restoration because you are trying to "restore" the comic to it's original condition. I like to actually call it "deception" because most of the time it isn't disclosed (except these boards)

I've come to the conclusion I will probably only press a comic when it has serious issues like water rippling or crumpling without color breaks, etc. The minor stuff just isn't my cup of tea to get the grade bump (unless it's a very expensive comic).

My fear of pressing is the long term effects on the paper quality and the comic might go back to it's non pressed condition.

This thread has WIN all over it. :headbang:

lol coming from a guy who bought nothing but pressed books from Doug.

Pressing is not restoration, does CGC give it a purple label?

:banana:

HumanTorch32cp.jpg

lol coming from a guy who bought nothing but pressed books from Doug.

Pressing is not restoration, does CGC give it a purple label?

(edited because I changed my mind to not react negatively :) )

I bought 3 books from him. Get over it. I have.

In fact I've pressed 4 comics from Joey in the past.

And just because CGC doesn't recognize it doesn't mean it's the gospel.

OH SNAP see above

Whether or not pressing is "restoration" really comes down to individual perspective - mainly - how do you define restoration?

This is where i take issue. I dont care how others define a word that has had a definition for hundreds of years. I like restoration, its fun. Its what i do for a living but when you return an object to a previous state, you have restored it by definition.

Whether or not pressing is "restoration" really comes down to individual perspective - mainly - how do you define restoration?

This is where i take issue. I dont care how others define a word that has had a definition for hundreds of years. I like restoration, its fun. Its what i do for a living but when you return an object to a previous state, you have restored it by definition.

But then you have to notice the nuance in my post. By your definition comics that do get the purple label are NOT examples of restoration.

Yay! Another noob restoring his comic books! :banana:

Is pressing restoration? I'd like some opinions on this matter.

Of course it's not.

As someone who has pressed several hundred books, it's not too terribly different from putting a book under a stack of encyclopedias for a couple months. The heat element simply speeds the process up.

Since there's no detectable difference between "natural pressing" and "artificial pressing", and when done properly, it does become nearly impossible to detect ANY pressing, the market has, rightfully, determined it is not restoration.

Next.

(Yay! A PRESSING thread! :cloud9: )

And in one fell swoop, RMA declares Overstreet (the hobby's 40 year authority), half the CGC boards (a reasonably knowledgeable bunch), Susan Ciccone (the hobby's foremost restoration expert) and the English language wrong.

Bravo, sir! :applause:

You spelled "Cicconi" wrong. I make a typo, but you can't even bother to spell her name correctly? For shame.

Oh, and typo fixed.

Oh, and Overstreet is not the end-all, be-all, and whatever Overstreet says is law (though I'm sure Bob would like that.)

(thumbs u

Because, you know, you're right about everything...wouldn't the world be such a wonderful place if it would just acknowledge you as its rightful and worshipful master?

:cloud9:

But then you have to notice the nuance in my post. By your definition comics that do get the purple label are NOT examples of restoration.

If a tree falls in the woods.....

i just got to say....it's about time that we have a pressing debate again. feels like an eternity since the last one.

Honestly I think CGC should have adopted the tried and true industry standards for coin grading (ala their NGC division).

Problem coins are given a grade with a "Details" designation.

VF-35 Details

(Corrosion)

Or

VF-35 Details

(Cleaned)

How about

9.0 Details

(Slight Color Touch)

?

Interestingly NCS is a division of NGC/CGC who actually does professional coin restoration, purportedly in a manner that is undetectable.

Coins are cleaned all the time that land in problem free slabs...

Because dipping is, when done properly, not terribly detectable, and market accepted.

That, of course, is what anti-pressers like F_T rail against hopelessly...the market has spoken. Sure, it's sad to some...but what the market says, goes.

I'm not sure where you're going with the tree in the woods analogy, but let me summarize.

Comics that receive the purple label have NOT been returned anywhere in the direction of their original state. Doing things like trimming or adding color may make a comic look more pretty, but it is not "restoring" the comic back to the way it was.

So if one feels pressed comics should be purple labeled because they ARE being restored - then comics that get the PLOD really should not be. The two are different.

This is why I said calling PLOD comics "restored" is a misnomer.

Coins are cleaned all the time that land in problem free slabs...

Because dipping is, when done properly, not terribly detectable, and market accepted.

That, of course, is what anti-pressers like F_T rail against hopelessly...the market has spoken. Sure, it's sad to some...but what the market says, goes.

Perhaps (IF) the cleaning is undetectable, in which case I highly dispute your "all the time" qualifier in bold.

Even dipping coins leave tell tale signs, especially with copper coins. There are no doubt *some* coins that were dipped long ago and have re-toned that can slip by. But I seriously challenge you to find ANY brown mint state coins, dip it, and have it come back graded mint state red.

Dipping chemically alters the surface and actually changes the surface color. And while it's more subtle on silver coins there are still signs that it has been dipped.

And dipping is NOT market accepted!

I'm not sure where you're going with the tree in the woods analogy, but let me summarize.

Comics that receive the purple label have NOT been returned anywhere in the direction of their original state. Doing things like trimming or adding color may make a comic look more pretty, but it is not "restoring" the comic back to the way it was.

So if one feels pressed comics should be purple labeled because they ARE being restored - then comics that get the PLOD really should not be. The two are different.

This is why I said calling PLOD comics "restored" is a misnomer.

Incomplete comics and arguments get the Green label - :baiting:

Prior to the arrival of valid competition in the form of CGC, just who was the authority in the comics hobby for 30 years if it wasn't Overstreet?

Oh, and I wouldn't have half the problem with pressing if the market had actually spoken. We are a tiny portion of the market. Huge chunks of the market don't know what pressing precisely is and they certainly have little clue that it is being practiced constantly by a chosen few.

That's why CGC kept it quiet for four years. That's why pressers won't generally disclose. It's a dirty little secret that they'll keep under wraps for long as they can...just in case they discover the true market doesn't actually like it much.

Don't mind the anti-pressors, they'll always make it a point to post their opinion (which is fine). The pro-pressors/don'tgiveadamnpressors really don't care enough to post as frequently, and there are many many many more of us than of them.

Don't mind the anti-pressors, they'll always make it a point to post their opinion (which is fine). The pro-pressors/don'tgiveadamnpressors really don't care enough to post as frequently, and there are many many many more of us than of them.

Perhaps. But everyone on this site has gotten to debate pressing over and over but me. I feel left out. ;)

Do you have a scan pre press? I would be interested to see the differences and if it's worth pressing a modern book vs buying one already slabbed.

BTW, pressing has gots to be restoration, no? If not, then why don't submitters disclose the fact that a book was pressed? Why hide the fact and try to get one over?