• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do people pack so poorly??

36 posts in this topic

Is it really that difficult to foresee the possible damage that can occur through out the shipping process. Cheap envelopes aside, using boxes that are the same dimensions of the comic books, doesn't allow much room for error if someone decides to play football with your package :mad: To get pictures of books that look so good, only to have them ruined by not allowing enough room in the box for possible mishaps, is just annoying. If your in the business of selling, at least take the time to learn to pack. Okay, I'm done complaining :preach:

doh! Boy, I feel your pain. Drives me crazy.

If I win auctions from a seller I don't know, especially for a larger lot of books, and especially from a non-comic seller (of antiques, etc), I usually send a message gently asking how the books will be packed and recommending sturdy boxes with ample padding. I've found the majority of sellers are pretty friendly and accommodating in response (and it's sometimes an early red flag if they're not).

I grill all sellers before I even talk price. I have a couple I deal with on a regular basis, and they know exactly what I look for when I receive the package. Good customer service goes a long way with me :)

I get a lot of comics shipped in envelopes. Most of them are packed with stiff cardboard and arrive safely, but even the sturdiest envelopes will not hold up against someone at the USPS having a bad day. When I was in logistics years ago a FedEx guy told me to pack something so it will survive being dropkicked 20 feet. I took that to heart and have never sent even a single raw comic in anything less than a box. Does it cost a little more? Sure it does, but I've never once had someone tell me the comic arrived damaged (thumbs u

IMHO, there are two main causes.

1) The seller is not aware that the package will most likely be dropped on the corner - hence the corner bends. (This is a seller who does not ship comic books on a regular basis)

2) The seller has a very large number of comic book sales, therefore is packaging as quickly as possible, and as inexpensively as possible. (This is a seller who deals in comic books, but is trying to reduce the time and expense of shipping - unfortunately proper packaging looses out to time and cost of materials)

The email asking for a sturdy box and plenty of padding at the corners, can be very helpful.

The key thing that most sellers don't pay attention to is using plenty of spacing between the product and the outer box. After that, the largest killer for a safe shipment, is movement. If the books have any ability to be jarred around within the package, it can and usually will translate to "hidden" damage. Once again... common sense doh!

The key thing that most sellers don't pay attention to is using plenty of spacing between the product and the outer box. After that, the largest killer for a safe shipment, is movement. If the books have any ability to be jarred around within the package, it can and usually will translate to "hidden" damage. Once again... common sense doh!

I'm not sure basic physics are understood by the masses...., :(

doh! I'm going to print some pamphlets labeled "basic physics" and mail them with my damaged returns from now on lol

Absolutely! My response was in no way an excuse for how packages get shipped.

Whenever packaging, I always ask myself: "Will these comics be protected when USPS drops them on the corner?" Note that, it's not if, but when. I assume they will get dropped on the corners, and add plenty of bubble wrap, prevent the books from sliding around inside the box, and add additional cardboard too.

doh! I'm going to print some pamphlets labeled "basic physics" and mail them with my damaged returns from now on lol

Yeah well good luck. These are probably the same people that don't wear seat belts.

Absolutely! My response was in no way an excuse for how packages get shipped.

Whenever packaging, I always ask myself: "Will these comics be protected when USPS drops them on the corner?" Note that, it's not if, but when. I assume they will get dropped on the corners, and add plenty of bubble wrap, prevent the books from sliding around inside the box, and add additional cardboard too.

I totally understand where you were coming from, and you are right on all points. Depending on the seller, most are always looking to pad their profit margin. Overcharged shipping what doesn't get reflected by the packing materials always pisses me off. You also make a good point that you ask yourself, what would "I" want if the package was shipped to me.

Yeah well good luck. These are probably the same people that don't wear seat belts.

lol