• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What counts as 'restoration' in OA?

27 posts in this topic

That is exactly why a third party service for authenticating and encapsulating original art might work. Mitch was bashed for suggesting this, but maybe it is not as farfetched as we thought. Just like you would have your car inspected by your mechanic or your comics slabbed by CGC, you can have this third party authenticator look for repairs and stats. (Unless you can already identify all restoration work yourself, of course.)

If the entire comic art hobby thinks like Claudio, then I am looking forward to the day when we have blue label slabs for untouched OA and purple label slabs for OA with replacement stats and replacement word bubbles.

I just think that restoration matters. I'm not saying that we would get to the point of slabs anytime soon. However, I have seen listings stating that artwork is "all original". Perhaps a premium is given to these piece of art?

Personally, I am glad that the art isn't slabbed and graded. I have some pieces with bend corners or similar imperfections but it doesn't bother me. However, a few years ago I bought a Buscema Conan piece that looked just spectacular. Sure it had a cut corner and a little wear and tear but with very little aging. I was impressed and was willing to pay a little "up" for it.

Anyway, i am not here to preach doom and gloom or anything like that. I'm just voicing an opinion. Take it for what you will

We aren't saying it's bad, or it makes a piece untouchable, but you can't say it has no impact. It might not for you, but if it matters to enough other people, it matters.

Malvin

(thumbs u

That is exactly why a third party service for authenticating and encapsulating original art might work. Mitch was bashed for suggesting this, but maybe it is not as farfetched as we thought. Just like you would have your car inspected by your mechanic or your comics slabbed by CGC, you can have this third party authenticator look for repairs and stats. (Unless you can already identify all restoration work yourself, of course.)

It isn't farfetched at all. It isn't something that I am hoping for but I could see it (or something similar) happening. Even a certificate from an art conservationist might work. Like I said, I don't think it is necessary but I could see it happening.

I am surprised to read that collectors here are so concerned about condition and restoration for art.

Maybe Mitch Mehdy was right afterall in his controversial thread, and that there is a market for a service that slabs, authenticates, and grades comic art. If the entire comic art hobby thinks like Claudio, then I am looking forward to the day when we have blue label slabs for untouched OA and purple label slabs for OA with replacement stats and replacement word bubbles.

Not as much as you appear to believe.

Speaking personally, I don't need a CGC like service (for original art) telling me what my eyes can see for themselves.

I would expect a big drop in price for a piece that had been restored. A tear seal is one thing, but I doubt I would want to own a piece that had re-inking unless it was being sold for a small fraction of what I would pay for the same piece unrestored.