• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Request help valuating CGC Comics.

142 posts in this topic

Thanks, divad. By the way, how long is the hazing period supposed to last on this forum?

As long as it takes to break you down and build you back up as the man they want you to be.

My advice: Check out some of the subforums. You could have posted your Walking Dead #1 pressing thread over in Modern and gotten a take on pressing from a group of people in a more similar boat. This thread would likely fare much better in Gold where the average reader is much more knowledgeable on the FMV of the books in question. Not everything belongs in General. One of the upsides to posting in subforums is that to people who don't visit every subforum it doesn't look like you're starting a new thread for each thought you have.

too late

And yet you actually took the time to click on the thread and post. You and your little cyber friends trolling my threads isn't going to stop me from posting.

Wow - so sorry for your purchase. GA is dead - especially CM....., that's why there is no recent data - haven't you heard? Good luck unloading these :sorry:

If I'm reading this correctly, you've sold very few books, but you did buy these to flip. May I ask why, of all the thousands of books offered here , you would decide to buy and try to flip Captain Marvels? Do you expect to find an untapped market for these books?

A couple of years back, there was a newbie who went to a comic con in the city and bought about $2,000 worth of Spectre books, both Showcase and the Spectre title. He put them up for sale here at a nice discount from guide and couldn't understand why no one was buying them.

Looks like you have also made a pretty serious rookie mistake.

If I'm reading this correctly, you've sold very few books, but you did buy these to flip. May I ask why, of all the thousands of books offered here , you would decide to buy and try to flip Captain Marvels? Do you expect to find an untapped market for these books?

A couple of years back, there was a newbie who went to a comic con in the city and bought about $2,000 worth of Spectre books, both Showcase and the Spectre title. He put them up for sale here at a nice discount from guide and couldn't understand why no one was buying them.

I don't think guide is a very reliable source. I paid about 35% under GPA, which is what people have actually paid, so getting my money back or even making a small proffit shouldn't be a problem.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Buying that many books without any idea of the market.

Not saying they won't sell, or that you didn't get a nice deal.

But if you're buying books strictly to flip, why pick something where:

1. You have, by your own admission, limited (if any) experience in that particular segement.

2. The sales data is spotty and limited at best.

Also, you stated that you were going to take the books to local dealers. You got the books for roughly $100/ea and the sales data you found shows some of the books in the 135-200 range. How much do you think a dealer is going to offer you on the books?

Good luck. :wishluck:

Everyone has their place on these boards.

Well, there have been some that I'd wished they found their place on other boards instead of mucking this one up with their wildly_fanciful_statement. Some of them are still here.

Well, there have been some that I'd wished they found their place on other boards instead of mucking this one up with their wildly_fanciful_statement. Some of them are still here.

I thought you liked me. :(

Chris, because the price was so low I see very little risk. At 35% under GPA I feel confident that (at worst) I can easily get my money back, and fairly quickly. If they take a long time to sell for a profit I can live with that as well. There are worse things than having high grade, golden age comics of one of the first superheros in my collection. Especially when I got them for a great price.

The high side was around $245 (if I remember correctly). I'm certainly not relying on a dealer buying them, but there's no harm checking around.

I wasn't trying to k-rap on your purchase.

Just a few things kind of jumped out at me. The way I read it, you were going for a quick flip to local dealers.

Didn't know you were content sitting on them for a bit.

If you're patient, you can probbly do fairly well. I don't have GPA right now. Was the sales data you were looking at current (ie, "last sales" were all from the past 6mos - year)?

Guys, this won't go down as the greatest buy since Chuck found the Mile High collection, but it's far from a dud deal.

I've bought a few of these books in the last couple of years (unlike, I suspect, those of you who are saying 'GA is dead' - yeah, right - or 'Captain Marvel won't sell'). I paid about 2/3 of guide for some and guide for one with only two books in the census.

I reckon these can be sold in that price range. The only issue will be the time, and since the OP is (rightly) happy to have a few high-grade GA books around if it comes to that, he'll be fine.

Unfortunately not. The data is mostly old.
What do want someone to tell you bro? It looks like you got a good deal on an unpopular title. Beyond that youre looking at the same info we are. You seem like a nice enough guy, and one day youll look back and laugh at all the pointless threads youre starting. I just saw the star wars reprint one. Hilarious!

So, what's that helpful information? I mean, I am here to learn, right? And so are you. IIRC, earlier in the thread you said (and I paraphrase): "If the dealer doesn't want to share his information, that's a person I do not want to deal with ..." Yet, here, you're doing the same. I'd like to know what others think about these books. I know I have my opinion but helpful PMs!! That, I'd like to hear.

Fact is, Captain Marvel is not a title that has much popularity or interest. Flipping them won't be an easy task (if you are looking for profit). That's my opinion.

They are nice higher grade comics that are GA but doesn't mean they are easily sold. You asked recently which new superhero movie people would want...

Perhaps if you hold on to these long enough a CM movie will be made and those comics will increase in value.

Until then I just don't see much upside to those comics. You got a fair deal on them. I'd be happy enough with that. There are plenty of other comics you could have bought here at discounted prices that would be easier to flip.

Good luck with the sale and while I should be the last to give advice about general....I think you are just a little too touchy and need thicker skin if you plan on posting a lot in this forum. Just my 2 cents.

So, what's that helpful information? I mean, I am here to learn, right? And so are you. IIRC, earlier in the thread you said (and I paraphrase): "If the dealer doesn't want to share his information, that's a person I do not want to deal with ..." Yet, here, you're doing the same. I'd like to know what others think about these books. I know I have my opinion but helpful PMs!! That, I'd like to hear.

Absolutely not. They sent me the messages in a PM for a reason, probably to avoid the drama that seems to run rampant around here. I don't go around copying and pasting private messages that are sent to me.

I thought you liked me. :(

For now. I'm watching you though.

im-watching-you-focker.jpg

;)