• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Request help valuating CGC Comics.

142 posts in this topic

I just purchased 12 Captain Marvel Adventure comics from Timulty here...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4947439#Post4947439

A bit of a back story: Prior to finalizing the sale I let Tim know I planned on flipping them and I made sure he was still OK with selling them to me. He said he priced them expecting someone to buy and flip. I'm bringing this up so people don't get the impression I'm being rude to him by posting this.

So now to the point... there is very little activity for this comic on GPA, and some of them don't even have a record for the exact grade. Most of the sales that are on record are around five years old.

Based on old (and partially incomplete data) the total value of the comics fell somewhere around $1900. I would like to obtain an accurate valuation so I can decide how to go about selling them and how much to ask for them. Any suggestions?

Here are the comics in question.

Captain Marvel Adventures #37 CGC 8.0 OW to W CGC075419007 War Stamps Cover

Captain Marvel Adventures #50 CGC 8.5 OW Pages CGC 0787321003

Captain Marvel Adventures #53 CGC 8.5 CR to OW pages CGC 0084157010

Captain Marvel Adventures #70 CGC 8.0 OW pages CGC 0084157009

Captain Marvel Adventures #71 CGC 8.5 CR to OW pages CGC 0084155010

Captain Marvel Adventures #84 CGC 8.5 OW pages CGC 0719042003

Captain Marvel Adventures #87 CGC 8.5 CR to OW pages CGC 0084825010

Captain Marvel Adventures #98 CGC 8.5 OW to W pages CGC 0719035007

Captain Marvel Adventures #104 CGC 9.0 OW to W pages CGC 0709897009

Captain Marvel Adventures #114 CGC 8.5 OW to W pages CGC 0719035018

Captain Marvel Adventures #117 CGC 8.5 OW pages CGC 0719039002

Captain Marvel Adventures #144 CGC 8.0 OW to W pages CGC 0719040001

If fixed price sales, ticket them at what you feel is appropriate, given what you paid and what you'd like to realise in profit.

Or simply throw them on eBay in auction format and let the market decide what they're worth.

If GPA gives you no steer, what you're requesting is that somebody (most likely a dealer) is going to give away knowledge that he's gained through sheer hard work over many years.

Oh, and just a heads-up...your post is teetering on the brink of pimping your books for sale, a complete no-no in General.

If fixed price sales, ticket them at what you feel is appropriate, given what you paid and what you'd like to realise in profit.

Or simply throw them on eBay in auction format and let the market decide what they're worth.

If GPA gives you no steer, what you're requesting is that somebody (most likely a dealer) is going to give away knowledge that he's gained through sheer hard work over many years.

Oh, and just a heads-up...your post is teetering on the brink of pimping your books for sale, a complete no-no in General.

On both of those those notes...

I am not a dealer, I'm a collector. I am not the competition. This will literally be the first time I've ever sold a single comic. If a dealer has a problem with sharing knowledge because they have that mentality, he/she wouldn't be a dealer I would care to deal with anyway.

I'm not pimping anything. I'm not offering them for sale on this board. I don't even have them in hand. When I do receive them I'm going to talk to local dealers first, and if no sale then I'm putting them up on Ebay.

On both of those those notes...

I am not a dealer, I'm a collector. I am not the competition. This will literally be the first time I've ever sold a single comic. If a dealer has a problem with sharing knowledge because they have that mentality, he/she wouldn't be a dealer I would care to deal with anyway.

I'm not pimping anything. I'm not offering them for sale on this board. I don't even have them in hand. When I do receive them I'm going to talk to local dealers first, and if no sale then I'm putting them up on Ebay.

I was attempting to be cordial with a noob who might not be aware of how things might be viewed around here.

In future... that for a game of soldiers! doh!

I was attempting to be cordial with a noob who might not be aware of how things might be viewed around here.

And I clarified things so that nobody viewed them in the manner you described. Did you take something I said as some sort of snipe at you?

I don't get the game of soldiers reference.

And I clarified things so that nobody viewed them in them in the manner you described. Did you take something I said as some sort of snipe at you?

It's an expression used this side of the pond which roughly translates to 'I ain't doing that again'.

And I clarified things so that nobody viewed them in them in the manner you described. Did you take something I said as some sort of snipe at you?

It's an expression used this side of the pond which roughly translates to 'I ain't doing that again'.

Very well.

You Brits! Are you going to play silly buggers all day or help advertise his books?

(in my best Inigo Montoya voice-)

I do not think "I ain't doing that again" means what you think it means. :baiting:

Look, I am recommending that you edit your post so that at the very least, you remove the scans and preferably, also the details of the books.

You have stated that you bought them to sell. You have kindly provided scans. Whether you intended it or not (and I don't think you did, which is why I took a conciliatory tone), these books are now on display for potential buyers in Comics General.

Which is inappropriate.

Look, I am recommending that you edit your post so that at the very least, you remove the scans and preferably, also the details of the books.

You have stated that you bought them to sell. You have kindly provided scans. Whether you intended it or not (and I don't think you did, which is why I took a conciliatory tone), these books are now on display for potential buyers in Comics General.

Which is inappropriate.

Just so you're aware, I didn't scan them and post them. It was a direct copy and paste from the thread in which I bought them. I posted the comics so that others can see what they are an give their suggestions or opinions about value.

I did just edit them to remove the hyperlinks, so you can't click and see the images.

You Brits! Are you going to play silly buggers all day or help advertise his books?

Yes, because I'm advertising books that I don't have and am not selling to the forum. (thumbs u

Well, there are a couple I'd be interested in. (shrug)

But with that feelings hurting attitude, I have a good mind to not buy what you're selling!

For the sake of positivity, do you have a GPA subscription?

It is a site that tracks the sales of CGC books through various sellers. For $10 bucks a month I find it an invaluable tool, especially for someone who is just getting back into the hobby.

Yes, because I'm advertising books that I don't have and am not selling to the forum. (thumbs u

Well, there are a couple I'd be interested in. (shrug)

But with that feelings hurting attitude, I have a good mind to not buy what you're selling!

And considering I've been very clear that I'm not posting this to sell the comics to the board, that should bother me why exactly?

For the sake of positivity, do you have a GPA subscription?

It is a site that tracks the sales of CGC books through various sellers. For $10 bucks a month I find it an invaluable tool, especially for someone who is just getting back into the hobby.

From my OP

So now to the point... there is very little activity for this comic on GPA, and some of them don't even have a record for the exact grade. Most of the sales that are on record are around five years old.