• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Request help valuating CGC Comics.

142 posts in this topic

Pointless? Hardly. I've already recieved a few PM's from people giving me very helpful information, and telling me to ignore the people being a-holes. Apparently the General forum has a bit of a reputation.

As do most internet message boards.

The hazing will continue until your morale improves. ;)

You need to roll with it. By the way, it's not always limited to n00bs. Long time posters have been on the receiving end of it when they chose not to heed the advice of their inner editor prior to posting.

So, what's that helpful information? I mean, I am here to learn, right? And so are you. IIRC, earlier in the thread you said (and I paraphrase): "If the dealer doesn't want to share his information, that's a person I do not want to deal with ..." Yet, here, you're doing the same. I'd like to know what others think about these books. I know I have my opinion but helpful PMs!! That, I'd like to hear.

Absolutely not. They sent me the messages in a PM for a reason, probably to avoid the drama that seems to run rampant around here. I don't go around copying and pasting private messages that are sent to me.

... should've known better than coming to General ...

Enjoy your books.

So, what's that helpful information? I mean, I am here to learn, right? And so are you. IIRC, earlier in the thread you said (and I paraphrase): "If the dealer doesn't want to share his information, that's a person I do not want to deal with ..." Yet, here, you're doing the same. I'd like to know what others think about these books. I know I have my opinion but helpful PMs!! That, I'd like to hear.

Absolutely not. They sent me the messages in a PM for a reason, probably to avoid the drama that seems to run rampant around here. I don't go around copying and pasting private messages that are sent to me.

Yet you're only too happy to ask people for their private information.

I just purchased 12 Captain Marvel Adventure comics from Timulty here...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4947439#Post4947439

A bit of a back story: Prior to finalizing the sale I let Tim know I planned on flipping them and I made sure he was still OK with selling them to me.

So now to the point... there is very little activity for this comic on GPA, and some of them don't even have a record for the exact grade. Most of the sales that are on record are around five years old.

Based on old (and partially incomplete data) the total value of the comics fell somewhere around $1900. I would like to obtain an accurate valuation so I can decide how to go about selling them and how much to ask for them. Any suggestions?

I have no idea why people got the impression you were trying to flip these books.

Its obvious you bought these with the intention of keeping them long term.

Fact is, Captain Marvel is not a title that has as much popularity or interest as it once did

This (italics added by me). There isn't a lack of HG copies of CMA as evident in just about every CLink auction. They usually have a few Crowley copies in them. The truth of the matter may be that the FMV of the books you bought is just what you paid for them, so enjoy them as part of a wonderful title that was outselling Superman at one point in time

Fact is, Captain Marvel is not a title that has as much popularity or interest as it once did

This (italics added by me). There isn't a lack of HG copies of CMA as evident in just about every CLink auction. They usually have a few Crowley copies in them. The truth of the matter may be that the FMV of the books you bought is just what you paid for them, so enjoy them as part of a wonderful title that was outselling Superman at one point in time

(tsk) Not what the OP wants to hear ...

Actually, I hope he can move them at a higher price (even though my gut feeling is that to move them at the higher price, it might involve higher selling fees and that the $100 a book is what they will net but I can be wrong and do sincerely I am for the OP's sake). That said, I am afraid that the OP will not bask in any glow of ownership of these books. Too many times have I seen on these boards over the years some collectors going in and buying random GA books as their entry into this fairy wonderland of GA realm envisioning the appearance of a third eye and other assorted higher plane of consciousness in which owning these books is thrilling ... but then they just end up looking like $1,200 of books they don't care about and that they wish they can unload for same value. I fear that's going to be the case here with these CMs.

I agree. (thumbs u Captain Marvel was a top tier comic in it's day. Whiz #1 was among the top grails in our hobby...

Looking at this gorgeous, sumptuous and sultry female of fail, from a scientific standpoint :insane:, what was the fail catalyst?

1. OPs seemingly innocuous post to gather info, that was really a covert General spam?

2. OPs inability to let the water bead off a ducks azz?

3. OPs announcement of his love for me?

4. OPs belief that the torture will end?

5. OPs forced realization that this may not be the flip he initially imagined?

6. OPs actual realization that everyone on these boards are peckerslappers(Fingh copyright 2011)

7. OPs infatuation with the "new topic" button?

8. OPs secret PMs that secretly validate all of the above?

9. I love lists

10. OPs crashing reality that the horrible smelly man babies that he runs into in Comic shops are true Gods on the Internet.?

Overthinking at its finest. The real roux that is the basis of this FAIL gumbo is the coining of the new word "valuating" in the threads title - insuring a rich satisfying broth of superFAIL and a savory finish of Friday.

You do realize that there's a way to share the value information you now have and not share the actual PMs or disclose their names, right? You might even ask for their permission to share the PM contents.

On the other hand, I think you should just keep it to yourself. Then, everyone who has bothered to take time to read and respond to your public begging for information will know just what to do next time you ask for help. I think you'll find people LOVE boardies who take and never give back. Best of luck.

Overthinking at its finest. The real roux that is the basis of this FAIL gumbo is the coining of the new word "valuating" in the threads title - insuring a rich satisfying broth of superFAIL and a savory finish of Friday.

Huh huh ... To valuate is not a new word, it is the appropriate verb to use:

To valuate is, by definition, to set a value on; appraise.

What would a yankee like you know about a roux?

You do realize that there's a way to share the value information you now have and not share the actual PMs or disclose their names, right? You might even ask for their permission to share the PM contents.

On the other hand, I think you should just keep it to yourself. Then, everyone who has bothered to take time to read and respond to your public begging for information will know just what to do next time you ask for help. I think you'll find people LOVE boardies who take and never give back. Best of luck.

:cloud9: Mike.

The real roux that is the basis of my portion of this FAIL gumbo is my failure to recognize that there is, in fact a verb form of the word "valuation" - insuring that I look like a dimtwit.

(worship)

The real roux that is the basis of my portion of this FAIL gumbo is my failure to recognize that there is, in fact a verb form of the word "valuation" - insuring that I look like a dimtwit.

(worship)

Dimtwit. I like that. :thumbsup: