• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on already signed but not SS books

52 posts in this topic

I was thinking about this yesterday and was not sure if it had been addressed here on the board. What if you bought a comic already "signed" by an artist or writer - but the book was not in the CGC Signature Series - so just a raw signed book. Now, what if you took that book to a show for a Signature Series signing. If you showed the signature to the person who "signed" it and they said in front of a SS witness that yes, that is their signature. Would the book then be acceptable for the CGC Sigature Series? And if so, what would the "signing date" be?

doesn't work like that, they can sign it again or trace the sig in front of the witness

well i think traceing works one of the others who now more could answer that

if they sign it again i think the original sig counts as a defect against the grade (not sure) as their is not green/yellow label, could possiblely get a purple/yellow label though and the original just counts a writeing on the cover

doesn't work like that, they can sign it again or trace the sig in front of the witness

well i think traceing works one of the others who now more could answer that

if they sign it again i think the original sig counts as a defect against the grade (not sure) as their is not green/yellow label, could possiblely get a purple/yellow label though and the original just counts a writeing on the cover

CGC won't allow them to "trace" their signature.

If they sign the book again, the book gets a yellow label and the first (unverified) signature counts as a grade-dropping defect.

I'd be curious to hear the exact reasoning behind this as well. Since the original unwitnessed signature is consider a 'defect', what makes it any difference then when there is an imperfection on the comic and we get a creator to sign over it to conceal it? We see sketch cover artist do this all the time to help maintain a 9.8 grade.

I think its probably a precautionary measure to assure that there are no possible errors within a book. A creator or artist might not actually remember if that was his signature, and signing over a fake, may be something a lot of folks might not be comfortable with.

I respect that explanation, CGC must take the necessary steps to maintain their intigrity. Truth by told there are creators out there with signatures that could be easily forged and they may not even be able to tell the difference.

If a witness doesn't see the book get signed, did it really get signed?

I was thinking about this yesterday and was not sure if it had been addressed here on the board. What if you bought a comic already "signed" by an artist or writer - but the book was not in the CGC Signature Series - so just a raw signed book. Now, what if you took that book to a show for a Signature Series signing. If you showed the signature to the person who "signed" it and they said in front of a SS witness that yes, that is their signature. Would the book then be acceptable for the CGC Sigature Series? And if so, what would the "signing date" be?

How is this different then a SS opp mailed in? Your scenario is a little flawed but if the book was handed back to the person who signed it and then handed/mailed to CGC it would likely end up in a SS holder. No? (shrug)

How is this different then a SS opp mailed in? Your scenario is a little flawed but if the book was handed back to the person who signed it and then handed/mailed to CGC it would likely end up in a SS holder. No? (shrug)

>>From what I read here, the SS witness would have to see the book actually get signed to qualify for the SS program. I guess any pre signed books would be noted and counted as a defect.

Stop trying to circumvent the system...geez.

Be honest.

Also, private mail-ins are handled by a facilitator, not just a regular joe wanting the books to get signed.

It would be nice to have some alternative for certain books... for example I have 2 variant "Signed Edition" books that were shipped from the publisher already signed. The only options for these book is not to include them in your set or get them graded and take the grade drop or the green label... Doesn't quite seem fair when they come pre-signed (shrug)

But on the flip side I do understand that it's possible that the publisher had someone other than who they say signed it signing it...

I respect that explanation, CGC must take the necessary steps to maintain their intigrity. Truth by told there are creators out there with signatures that could be easily forged and they may not even be able to tell the difference.

If a witness doesn't see the book get signed, get it really get signed?

I can do a very convincing Adam Hughes sig! ;)

AH!

Perhaps CGC could cooperate with the publishers who do signed comics to organize having a witness there for all signings and then have them sent for SS.

That's a great idea, but who's going to pay for the air fare, hotel, food, and time for someone to witness a handful of books?