• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on already signed but not SS books

52 posts in this topic

How is this different then a SS opp mailed in? Your scenario is a little flawed but if the book was handed back to the person who signed it and then handed/mailed to CGC it would likely end up in a SS holder. No? (shrug)

>>From what I read here, the SS witness would have to see the book actually get signed to qualify for the SS program. I guess any pre signed books would be noted and counted as a defect.

Not from my experience. So long as the book is handed from the person who signed directly to CGC.

Just for the record I am not suggesting circumventing the rules in any way. I like the rules just fine. This is for discussion purposes only.

The rules state, the item must have an 'unbroken chain of possession from the artist to cgc' facilitators in fact can not take possession of the books. They must go from the artist directly to CGC. This is at least my understanding.

So in any case where the artist lets the publisher ship, or distributors distribute a comic signed they are ineligible signatures for the Signature Series.

In the case of say a signed death of the torch issue, I would submit it for blue label take a grade bump. Or green label.

The rules state, the item must have an 'unbroken chain of possession from the artist to cgc' facilitators in fact can not take possession of the books. They must go from the artist directly to CGC. This is at least my understanding.

As opposed to the CGC employee actually witnessing the individual signing.

Everything else?

So long as the books are handed from the person signing directly to CGC they do not actually have to witness the physical signing right?

No sorry Jeff. A witness or a CAW has to be present to witness the signing.

But for a mail-in, the creator would sign an affidavit. Which is a contract, stating that you did in fact sign all of the books presented.

A word of caution, some artists just aren't patient enough to wait for you to wrangle a CGC rep to come pick up the book from you.

I got this awesome Rick Leonardi (who doesn't do very many shows at all) cover done as Dallas ComiCon this year.

He saw me passing his booth mid-day of the last day and flagged me down to give me the sketch. I implored him to hang on to it for a bit more so I could go grab Gemma to be the witness, but he wouldn't have any of it. He sorta of demanded I take the book then, and that he didn't want to wait. Being a non imposing sort I just sort of accepted it.

Rick was otherwise an incredibly nice guy; I suspect he was just trying to wrap things up and get out of there. :( And don't get me wrong; I absolutely adore the sketch, and would DEFINITELY get another from him.

So let that be a word of caution about waiting too late to pick up your books!

cd=sm.jpg

No sorry Jeff. A witness or a CAW has to be present to witness the signing.

But for a mail-in, the creator would sign an affidavit. Which is a contract, stating that you did in fact sign all of the books presented.

I have yet to get a book SS'd where the witness actually witnessed the signature. Not sure why this would be the case. It is certainly not the case for sketches. Some of my sketch requests were done in the hotel room later when the artist had time. Although I do not doubt your experience Adonis I do doubt that this is a must.

And when I get 100+ books signed I highly doubt the witness just stands there. I have seen an artist put a large pile to the side to be signed in between smaller requests and be picked up later by CGC.

Smart

All I know is my Fantasy teams are rocking tonight, I get 2 CGC shipments tomorrow, another 4 shipments should be graded this week and I just got to increase my post count talking Sig Series. I call that a good night. :whee:

key point missed is that you need to clear whatever you are going to do with the CAW or the CGC booth (celebrity authentics signed books & artist take home & mail in sketches come to mind) follow whatever chain of custody sealed tape box or witnessing they want & your (thumbs u

Smart

All I know is my Fantasy teams are rocking tonight, I get 2 CGC shipments tomorrow, another 4 shipments should be graded this week and I just got to increase my post count talking Sig Series. I call that a good night. :whee:

There you go (thumbs u

Not sure that got missed but there is one subtle difference that may have been missed for Mr. Circumvention. lol

As I said though. I like the rules. I am part of the minority that welcomed the changes to Sig Series last year. Or was it the year before? Time flies!!

there are always way's around the rules, i have a dave hoover and khoi pham sketch/es that were both done at local shows

i could go to show X where CGC is set up and ask dave or khoi to hold on to the sketch while i get a witness to "see" me get the book off said artist and they would get a yellow label, the reason is bc CGC would have no way of knowing i got them at a earlier local show

as long as i didn't show them off on the boards then theirs no proof

and just saying "just follow the rules" doesn't mean people will listen

now while i doubt this happenes it is a loophole non the less, but the less loopholes the better and this maybe one of the only ones in the CGC SS system

now honestly i haven't done it with these 2 sketches but i would love to get both a yellow label, they are however in my boxes of books for CGC and i'll just suffer with a green lable......2 of my best sketchs imo too

even if they knew about the loophole there is no way to close it as it would kill sketch SS bc they would have to have someone over the sholder of every artist at a show to see the sketch from start to finish (chain of ownership), so no take home sketch to be handed in later, no working on a sketch after hours/holtel rooms bc who's to say the sketch stayed in the artist posession the whole time, hell i'll give an example to show how it can be done

your at your hotel and you run into the artist who's doing work for you, start talking and he mentions he finished it and you ask/he offers to show you, you then ask if you can go show wife/kids/friends/the doorman/whoever (broken chain) then you hand it back asking if you can grab it off him at the show so you can get it CGC SS if he's fine with it then CGC is non the wiser on the broken chain and you walk away with your CGC SS sektch