• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on already signed but not SS books

52 posts in this topic

I could see that. I don't do alot of conventions but deal with facilitators so the changes improved my options.

I suppose some small opps also get missed now.

In regards to the sketch vs books thing, I've seen CGC employees refuse to give a SS label to a book (non-sketched) that wasn't signed in front of them - David Petersen, for instance, does a signed & numbered sketchbook that he premieres every year at SDCC. He pre-signs all those books prior to going to the con and if subbed to CGC, they end up in a blue label with a "name written on inside cover" notation.

No sorry Jeff. A witness or a CAW has to be present to witness the signing.

But for a mail-in, the creator would sign an affidavit. Which is a contract, stating that you did in fact sign all of the books presented.

So, if an artist/writer who does make it to the states for conventions were to sell you signed copies and submit them directly to CGC on your behalf with said affidavit they should come back SS?

No sorry Jeff. A witness or a CAW has to be present to witness the signing.

But for a mail-in, the creator would sign an affidavit. Which is a contract, stating that you did in fact sign all of the books presented.

So, if an artist/writer who does make it to the states for conventions were to sell you signed copies and submit them directly to CGC on your behalf with said affidavit they should come back SS?

A facilitator would have to arrange this, but yes as long as the creator has never let possession of the book go to anyone else it can be submitted via direct mail to cgc, or the artist himself can deliver the book to the CGC booth at a convention.

In regards to the sketch vs books thing, I've seen CGC employees refuse to give a SS label to a book (non-sketched) that wasn't signed in front of them - David Petersen, for instance, does a signed & numbered sketchbook that he premieres every year at SDCC. He pre-signs all those books prior to going to the con and if subbed to CGC, they end up in a blue label with a "name written on inside cover" notation.

i'm sry but imo this is CGC calling dave petersen a liar (or any other artist that does this)

you can't tell me that the artist selling his own sketchbook that only he could sell (at 1st), with his sig inside, and going "nope we didn't see you sign it so it's gotta be a fake".....i'd be insulted

why would it not get a yellow is the question, the chain of control was never broken.......artist to CGC witness, plz tell me where the chain is broken

now if it's artist to buyer to CGC then that's different

i can see if it was already bought, then broght to CGC or like JML's website books signed bc they went to the persons house (even though i think it's a little stupid they can't get a yellow as well bc that was the only way to buy them was strait for JML himself) but at least here i understand bc the chain was broken

i'm sry but imo this is CGC calling dave petersen a liar (or any other artist that does this)

you can't tell me that the artist selling his own sketchbook that only he could sell (at 1st), with his sig inside, and going "nope we didn't see you sign it so it's gotta be a fake".....i'd be insulted

why would it not get a yellow is the question, the chain of control was never broken.......artist to CGC witness, plz tell me where the chain is broken

i can see if it was already bought, then broght to CGC or like JML's website books signed bc they went to the persons house (even though i think it's a little stupid they can't get a yellow as well bc that was the only way to buy them was strait for JML himself) but at least here i understand bc the chain was broken

I am under the impression if the artist brings the book to CGC. And he has never lost possession of the book, it would be SS eligible? I could be and likely am wrong.

It's called CGC protecting its integrity. No matter what, it has to be signed in front of a CAW/Witness. The only exception is the Affidavit Mail-In. Those are the rules. CGC isn't calling anything fake, they have rules to follow just like any other company.

If you don't like the way things are done, then try PGX, I hear they have a great Signature Series program. :insane:

PGX what a joke :roflmao:

i'm sry but i'm failing to see where the difference is with the dave petersen example

the chain of control wasn't broken, sounds more like the discresion of the wittness then anything

i'm not upset with the program but just as their are loopholes to every program their are also exceptions however few they are there

i can't remember if it was joe, a wittness or the former director of SS but i do remember asking about this very thing and was told it was up to the wittness's dicresion wither to acept it as a sig or not (at a con)....if i give the book to an artist/writer and they sign it but are willing to hold it could i come to CGC to see me picking it up, AKA i bought the book off them and they sign it before you can say anything

or what i'm hearing is bc he's at the con not seeing him do it is the problem but if it was set up where he sign's the affidavit from his home everything would be ok for a yellow lable, bc in both parts the chain isn't broken him to CGC so i fail to see the difference. and just saying bc it's the rules makes you sound like a sheep who just blindly follows what their told without asking questions

lol and i'm sry if my posts seem broken and i'm just putting them in random places making it seem like i'm jumping from point to point, but i'll write one thing and think of anonther then read where it would sound best imo then place it there......doesn't always work though (shrug)

the sheep comment wasn't ment to upset anyone as i love a good arugment but i will not aplogize for it

Along these lines, are any other forms of signature authentication market accepted? Official certificates of authenticity?

nope

For future reference, check the Official Q and A thread. It might be a bit slow to get responses because of all the conventions, but I'm sure the answers are there

I guess I just got lucky then. I had one artist wait to sign it in front of a witness only to be corrected by the CGC employee that it wasn't necessary. The remainder of the show and since then I don't bother the artist with waiting but only holding the book.