• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Byrne SIGNATURES

95 posts in this topic

I am trying to understand John Byrne in the blog saying he doesnt like the fact that they are instant collectibles and not appreciated by a fan . I just thought the increase of product would weed out the flippers and the remaining demand for his sigs, etc would be sought by fans of his work not $$$.

Just thinking out loud.

In the short term, maybe, but the copies would get absorbed pretty quickly, and after a while would not be much easier to come by than they are now.
What if he did 600 books every year for cgc ss , then ?

By year three or maybe four there would be a glut.

What id like to do is pool our money and see if a significant (5k+) donation to a charity of his choosing would draw him out. Even if it was a private signing. Would be pretty generous and hard to turn down even for a bunch of bonepicking brain dead scumbags.

If anyone is ever trying such a venture i got some ducketts on it, and i only want 7 books.

I am trying to understand John Byrne in the blog saying he doesnt like the fact that they are instant collectibles and not appreciated by a fan . I just thought the increase of product would weed out the flippers and the remaining demand for his sigs, etc would be sought by fans of his work not $$$.

Just thinking out loud.

Im sure seeing the way some people ride stan lee like a show pony has not improved his pov any.

What id like to do is pool our money and see if a significant (5k+) donation to a charity of his choosing would draw him out. Even if it was a private signing. Would be pretty generous and hard to turn down even for a bunch of bonepicking brain dead scumbags.

If anyone is ever trying such a venture i got some ducketts on it, and i only want 7 books.

I bet you could offer $5K for your 7 books and get turned down.

that's why frank miller is the man, he'll do it for the CBLDF, unlike mister stuck up, head in his arse, john byrne. doh!

Sounds like I don't have much of a shot at getting a SS copy huh. :(

It is tough. They come up for sale every once in a while. But the Byrne signing was done a long time ago (and this is not a shot at anyone, it is just my opinion) and a lot of the books are not in top grades, some of them have interior signatures, and there are a lot of books done that I didn't like the work that Byrne was doing at the time. So for me, it has always been very tough. My top choices would have been Doomsday +1, MTU and Avengers and not a lot of those got done.

Skinny White Boy had a delicious 9.6 X-Men that I think he got a king's ransom for. Demand is always there and they realize great prices no matter what.

JB once yelled at me at Dragon Con for not having books ready in line. I'd still get 25 done if he did a signing.

And: (thumbs u

8552611_1.jpg

that's why frank miller is the man, he'll do it for the CBLDF, unlike mister stuck up, head in his arse, john byrne. doh!

I guess it just seems crazy to me that someone could turn down 5K for cancer research over a personal viewpoint of a small segment of the hobby that employs them.

It is tough. They come up for sale every once in a while. But the Byrne signing was done a long time ago (and this is not a shot at anyone, it is just my opinion) and a lot of the books are not in top grades, some of them have interior signatures, and there are a lot of books done that I didn't like the work that Byrne was doing at the time. So for me, it has always been very tough. My top choices would have been Doomsday +1, MTU and Avengers and not a lot of those got done.

Skinny White Boy had a delicious 9.6 X-Men that I think he got a king's ransom for. Demand is always there and they realize great prices no matter what.

Worth every penny :cloud9: Signed by Byrne(1st page), Cockrum, Austin, and Claremont.

img2786l.jpg

Worth every penny :cloud9: Signed by Byrne(1st page), Cockrum, Austin, and Claremont.

img2786l.jpg

(worship) That is Super Bad Azz

Just thinking out loud.

Im sure seeing the way some people ride stan lee like a show pony has not improved his pov any.
Okay, to any i may have offended i didnt really mean it like that, or at least that harshly. I was just agreeing with byrne on the points of commodification of signatures, on my phone in a building with no ac . :sorry:

img2786l.jpg

:headbang:

There's more....

"I have exactly one comic thus encased -- a copy of BATMAN 91, which contains the original printing of the first Batman story I read. This issue gets "delux treatment" since it is from Sprang's personal collection, and it hangs on my studio wall alongside the recreated splash page from that same story that did for me."

(Note: JB's book is in a non-CGC plastic holder)

regardless, it's still encased