• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, what is the best comic con for... comics?

23 posts in this topic

With so many people complaining about the comic side of the SDCC, I was wondering what is the best convention for comics. The one that stands out, that has the comics as the central selling point. If I would go to only one con, and it's a con for comics, what con should it be?

Maybe somebody should make a poll about it.

Baltimore Comic Con.

This show is great. Not too big, and not too small. The only focus is on comics. No wrestlers, Suicide Girls, ect. Just comic books, and the people who work in them.

I don't know why people complain about the availability of comics at SDCC. It seemed that there were more than enough dealers with loaded inventories selling. There were dealers also with loads of pulps, massive amounts of GA/SA books....one could spend all 5 days perusing the boxes at dealers' tables without going over to the to the game/toy/movie area.

I don't know why people complain about the availability of comics at SDCC. It seemed that there were more than enough dealers with loaded inventories selling. There were dealers also with loads of pulps, massive amounts of GA/SA books....one could spend all 5 days perusing the boxes at dealers' tables without going over to the to the game/toy/movie area.

There is a spectacular range of comics at SDCC, especially the vintage books. I find it hard to imagine a better place to find those books. Sure they are a small percentage of the floor space at the con and are about the only place you can walk an aisle without wanting to stab someone in the eye with a pen, but it is not for lack of quality books.

I took my nephew, sister and brother in-law on sunday to the Con (they live in SD and have never been). My nephew is 2 1/2 yrs old and started throwing a fit after 2 hours...had to take him home, thank god I had 5 day passes (Thanks Roy & Cory! you guys are awesome).

I found that if you get a nice buzz going on and plug in your iPod it makes walking the Con a whole lot nicer. For some reason when in this state of mind I took tons of pictures of booth babes and bought some weird art.... pictures will be posted once I get back home.

There is a spectacular range of comics at SDCC, especially the vintage books. I find it hard to imagine a better place to find those books. Sure they are a small percentage of the floor space at the con and are about the only place you can walk an aisle without wanting to stab someone in the eye with a pen, but it is not for lack of quality books.

Hey man, thanks for stopping by the booth to say hi!

(thumbs u

The percentage of floor space could be a little misleading if someone takes it out of context as the floor space of this convention center is multiples larger than most people are used to seeing at a comic show so even though the percentage is smaller there are still plenty of comic dealers with deep inventory and much more than many "large" shows.

I'll agree with 'troop that there are tons of comics for sale from all genres. The silver and gold pavilion has a very sharp focus on investment grade books with many dealers bringing their "A" game but even within that pavilion there was plenty of affordable, run filler books from what I saw. I picked up stacks of affordable books from many dealers.

If you took the time to venture a little further out there was all kinds of stuff to be had as well.

While SD has clearly outgrown being just a comic show, I thought that there were still plenty of books for everyone there to keep someone busy digging for the entire 4 days although sometimes it takes a little effort to find them off the beaten path.

With so many people complaining about the comic side of the SDCC, I was wondering what is the best convention for comics. The one that stands out, that has the comics as the central selling point. If I would go to only one con, and it's a con for comics, what con should it be?

It's going to depend on what sort of books you are looking for as each con has their strong and weak points.

Charlotte, Baltimore, Boston and WW Chicago all have strong shows for vintage books.

New York and SD are good but much more expensive to visit.

(thumbs u

If you like modern comics you can't beat SDCC.

In addition to the books for sale you get to meet tons of high profile comic book creators. They are approachable and you can get sketches from them.

Plus, you can attend panels about comic books. Not all the panels are about movies and TV. There is plenty of stuff to do as a comic book fan. :sumo:

The only other big shows I've been to are WW Philly and Baltimore. WW Philly is the typical 1 or 2 big names and a bunch of 80's/90's pro-wrestlers. Baltimore is smaller but like SDCC has a ton of high profile comic book creators visit. I really like the Baltimore show. (thumbs u

Baltimore Comic Con.

This show is great. Not too big, and not too small. The only focus is on comics. No wrestlers, Suicide Girls, ect. Just comic books, and the people who work in them.

Good god, you're not kidding! I just checked this year's guest list and it's populated solely by comic creators!!! Talk about unusual! :o

And as far as I can tell the exhibitors list is pretty much 100% comic-related as well.

Impressive! :applause:

Baltimore Comic Con.

I might go to one sometime.

CAL who lived in MD for years...

I also vote for Baltimore. It's the closest thing to an old fashioned comic book show from the 1970s. Not only is the main room stuffed with dealers carrying the complete range of genres and grades, but there are a bunch of enjoyable panels where the discussions are only about creating and producing comic books.