• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brent Anderson artwork stolen at San Diego.

32 posts in this topic

From Brent Anderson's Facebook...

Help and repost! Brent Anderson's car was broken into while at the SD Zoo and his original art was stolen. Among the artwork that was stolen:

–50 pages from Astro City Vols. 1 & 2 & Local Heroes

–AC:Dark Age Books 1 (#s 1-4), 2 (#s 1-4) & 3 (#s 1-4) (50 pages)

–Green Lantern :Legacy approx. 45 pages between pages 1-45 (except pag 5)

–Green Lantern Silver Age Special (approx. 4 pages)

–GL/Plastic Man team-up special (approx. 8 pages)

–Rising Stars #s 15-24 (approx. 48 pages)

Spread the word to all your FB contacts, particularly to comic art sellers and those who shop on eBay. If you see any of these pages surface, email him at kneedeep@sonic.net. Thank you.

ETA: Brent had included "Green Lantern: Legacy" pg 5 in his list, but it's actually accounted for: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=282014&GSub=32763

UPDATE by Brent Anderson:

As the days go by I will be clearing pages I know were not stolen yesterday (July 25, 2011). Anyone who currently owns pages from the broad list above, feel free to post them with when and where you bought them.

Dang, that's bad. I actually looked through his stack of art at SDCC this weekend and they were nice but just out of my price range. I didn't know he was attending the convention or I would've brought some Astro City comics for signing.

In Brent's case, the theft is even worse than if it happened to another artist because nowadays he works digitally forced by sight problems. So those originals must be the best of what's left of his art drawn in paper.

Updates by Brent in his Facebook account...

It wasn't "geek" crooks who stole my artwork.

I believe it was an opportunistic smash and grab by someone looking for money or jewelry, not comics art. (They stole all of our dirty clothes and toiletries! Probably for the luggage they were in.) They even left three 11x17 Itoya portfolios of art in the car. If they'd wanted the art, they would have taken those, too. The thieves didn't know what was in the zippered slip case around the other four. They took the case.

The more light we shed on the stolen art the more unsellable it becomes. Unfortunately, the more unsellable, the more likely it is to be disposed of. An anonymous drop-off of the art somewhere it might be discovered by a knowledgeable person is the best outcome, or in finding the work at a flea market there for a quick, cheap sale to just to get rid of it.

Anyone living in the greater San Diego area who enjoys frequenting flea markets, garage and rummage sales, can visit as many of them as they can this coming weekend and on into the end of summer. The sooner the better. All the art was in 11x17 Itoya art display portfolios in mylar sleeves. Each book holds 48 pages front and back.

If you find any and/or all of the art, buy it and call the police. (619-744-9500) Tell them you have a lead on case #11-029140. In this way we may just get the art back!

Thanks to everyone for all the support! We now have a detective assigned to the case. This is grand theft and is being taken very seriously. I'm on my way home and will begin identifying the stolen pages directly I get there tomorrow and posting them. Be well, everyone!

Way too early to tell. If the art still exists, it may be awhile before it shows up. Everyone keep searching eBay and Craigslist, talk to your comics retailers and anyone else who knows anything about comic art to provide many eyes and ears. Some clue or lead is bound to show up. Thanks, all!

Stolen Art Update: The stolen pages of Green Lantern: Legacy are pp. 3, 6, 7, 9, 11, 18, 20, 21, 24, 30-36, 38-40, 42-46, 48, 51-57, 60 & 67-70 . All other pages between pp. 1-70 sold prior to Monday July 25, 2011 are “safe” pages. If any person’s safe page is on the stolen list, email Brent Anderson at kneedeep@sonic.net with the page number and the location and date the page was purchased, and it will be recorded with the San Diego Police Department as safe and added to the Safe List. Please forward this update to comic shops and art collectors. Thanks!

Stolen Art Announcement: Will the person who bought one of the stolen Green Lantern Legacy pages at Comic-con please email me at kneedeep@sonic.net and identify themselves and the page so I can return your deposit. Thank you.

Does anyone know which Astro City pages were stolen at this point? Not the Dark Ages pages, just from the Astro City regular series. This page was just posted today on Dave Ruth's CAF as For Sale. No accusations, just wanting to put it out there since I don't know what was stolen.

Anderson%20Astro%20City%2016%20p24.jpg

I sold that page to Dave recently.

I've had it for years before that and it was part of the comictown collection, which was broken up awhile back (I want to say 2004)

The list of artwork was given at the beginning of the post, and you did have a qualification, but perhaps you should have compared the page to the list before pointing out unrelated pieces in people's gallery.

Malvin

Does anyone know which Astro City pages were stolen at this point? Not the Dark Ages pages, just from the Astro City regular series. This page was just posted today on Dave Ruth's CAF as For Sale. No accusations, just wanting to put it out there since I don't know what was stolen.

Anderson%20Astro%20City%2016%20p24.jpg

First, thanks Malvin for clarifying where the page came from.

Second, as I said, there was no accusation.

Third, the list of artwork from the beginning of the topic says

From Brent Anderson's Facebook...

Help and repost! Brent Anderson's car was broken into while at the SD Zoo and his original art was stolen. Among the artwork that was stolen:

50 pages from Astro City Vols. 1 & 2 & Local Heroes

–AC:Dark Age Books 1 (#s 1-4), 2 (#s 1-4) & 3 (#s 1-4) (50 pages)

–Green Lantern :Legacy approx. 45 pages between pages 1-45 (except pag 5)

–Green Lantern Silver Age Special (approx. 4 pages)

–GL/Plastic Man team-up special (approx. 8 pages)

–Rising Stars #s 15-24 (approx. 48 pages)

Spread the word to all your FB contacts, particularly to comic art sellers and those who shop on eBay. If you see any of these pages surface, email him at kneedeep@sonic.net. Thank you.

ETA: Brent had included "Green Lantern: Legacy" pg 5 in his list, but it's actually accounted for: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=282014&GSub=32763

UPDATE by Brent Anderson:

As the days go by I will be clearing pages I know were not stolen yesterday (July 25, 2011). Anyone who currently owns pages from the broad list above, feel free to post them with when and where you bought them.

It very clearly does list Astro City Vol 2. It's a very broad list, which is why I simply posted the page. The only qualification was regarding the Green Lantern Legacy pages. There was no information about Astro City pages.

Again, I was simply putting this information out there for someone to clarify. You did, and for that I thank you.

However, the next time you feel the need to dress me down for posting information, check YOUR information. Then keep your opinions to yourself.

As soon as I saw the initial vague list posted I knew it was going to cause these types of problems. I understand the need to get the word out there ASAP but I knew by posting an incomplete list would lead to these types of issues.

Not only that, people should figure out exact what pages were stolen first before specifically pointing out pieces in people's collection "without casting aspersions" to see if it was stolen.

Now people totally unrelated have to publicly explain where and how they got their art, which they really shouldn't have to.

Malvin

As soon as I saw the initial vague list posted I knew it was going to cause these types of problems. I understand the need to get the word out there ASAP but I knew by posting an incomplete list would lead to these types of issues.

No need to put quotes around it Malvin. I agree with you and would LOVE to have had a full list. 10 years in law enforcement has taught me that you have to act quickly in cases like this, even if you don't have all the information you would like to have. I really didn't want to post that page like that, but with no further information than that I felt it was either post it and let someone get mad or let a potential stolen piece be moved along on its merry way.

If it were your property that was stolen, what would you want people to do. Truthfully, I wasn't saying it was stolen. I was saying I didn't know. Also truthfully, I don't care if I made anyone mad, not you and not the seller of the art. I'd rather err on the side of being sure something's legit. I would hate to own a piece of art and then find out it was stolen. Know why? Because then the rightful owner can legally take it from me and not compensate me for it. Know why? Because it's stolen property. I knew some Astro City pages were stolen, and then I see one posted for sale today (7/31). Scuze the hell outta me for wanting to make sure something I might have been interested in wasn't stolen.

Again, the next time you feel the need to dress me down, even on the sly, shut the hell up.

Hi SC in SC,

I am definitely getting worked up about this, and I'll make one more post and drop it, and it won't be inflammatory.

I see your point of view, but you could have done it without pointing out the specific artwork. Even though you did not want to cast aspersions, you did by pointing out a specific piece.

While I certainly want my art returned if it was stolen, I don't think its reasonable to make every single person out there who recently purchased or sold an Astro City page to prove their innocence, which is what I had to do when you posted that page.

Malvin

For someone who hasn't been on these boards more than 2 months and has less than a couple dozens posts, I'd advise you to ratchet down the attitude a few notches, learn the ropes, the room, and some modicum of manners. (tsk)

No need to put quotes around it Malvin. I agree with you and would LOVE to have had a full list. 10 years in law enforcement has taught me that you have to act quickly in cases like this, even if you don't have all the information you would like to have. I really didn't want to post that page like that, but with no further information than that I felt it was either post it and let someone get mad or let a potential stolen piece be moved along on its merry way.

If it were your property that was stolen, what would you want people to do. Truthfully, I wasn't saying it was stolen. I was saying I didn't know. Also truthfully, I don't care if I made anyone mad, not you and not the seller of the art. I'd rather err on the side of being sure something's legit. I would hate to own a piece of art and then find out it was stolen. Know why? Because then the rightful owner can legally take it from me and not compensate me for it. Know why? Because it's stolen property. I knew some Astro City pages were stolen, and then I see one posted for sale today (7/31). Scuze the hell outta me for wanting to make sure something I might have been interested in wasn't stolen.

Again, the next time you feel the need to dress me down, even on the sly, shut the hell up.

Dude, it wasn't your argument. The entire issue has been aired out and is over. I'll not be commenting on it any further than that. I'll tell you the same thing though.

The next time you see fit to dress me down, keep your opinions to yourself. My amount of time on this or any forum has no bearing on my attitude. Wag your finger elsewhere.

umm, how shall I put this: NO. In less than 24 posts you've seen fit to dress down 4 people yourself, now it makes no difference that I happen to agree with you on the g-man and Rae topics, stop acting like a troll, or your tenure on this forum and quite possibly the art hobby to which you've only recently dipped your little toe into will be brief and not very fruitful. It's a SMALL hobby. You're much better off making friends than enemies.

And for the record, I took up for Malvin because he's a buddy, and many know him, and he is beyond reproach. You have no idea just how above board he is. There seems to be some disconnect between your "10 years in law enforcement" and specific parts of the 5th amendment- Might need to brush up on that. :baiting:

Dude, it wasn't your argument. The entire issue has been aired out and is over. I'll not be commenting on it any further than that. I'll tell you the same thing though.

The next time you see fit to dress me down, keep your opinions to yourself. My amount of time on this or any forum has no bearing on my attitude. Wag your finger elsewhere.

And law enforcement people wonder why a lot of people have problems with them. It's because most of them have zero tact and very little social skills. Just my 2 cents. Carry on.

fair enough. Flame throwers back on safety.

I do hope Brent gets his art back somehow. It would help tremendously if there were scans of the art or comic. I honestly can't keep straight which volume of which book is which story in the Astro City line. Having a visual reference would make it iron clad what is and isn't' stolen, if that at all possible.

back in 2003 or so, Anthony had a whole suitcase disappear at his sisters house on the way to SDDC, and lost a good chuck of his show stock. It was a residential neighborhood, they had no idea what it was, but I believe he did get some of it back with a no questions asked reward, maybe 5-6 years later.

Update:

Art collectors, Art Sellers and Retailers,

Here is an update on the Green Lantern pages stolen from me on Monday July 25, 2011:

Green Lantern Stolen Art List

-Green Lantern: Legacy pp. 3, 6, 7, 9, 11, 18, 20, 21, 24, 30-36, 38-40, 42-46, 48, 51-57, 60 & 67-69 were stolen on Monday July 25, 2011.

All other pages between 1 and 70 sold prior to Monday July 25, 2011 are “safe” pages. If any person’s safe page is on the stolen list, email Brent Anderson at kneedeep@sonic.net with the page number and the location and date the page was purchased, and it will be recorded with the San Diego Police Department as safe and added to the Safe List.

-Silver Age: Green Lantern #1 pp. 3, 5, 7, & 8.

All other pages sold prior to Monday July 25, 2011 are “safe” pages. If any person’s safe page is on the stolen list, email Brent Anderson at kneedeep@sonic.net with the page number and the location and date the page was purchased, and it will be recorded with the San Diego Police Department as safe and added to the Safe List.

-Green Lantern/Plastic Man 1-Shot (1 of 2) pp. 3, 4, 19, 21, 22; (2 of 2) pp. 1, 2, 7, 10, 14, 16.

All other pages sold prior to Monday July 25, 2011 are “safe” pages. If any person’s safe page is on the stolen list, email Brent Anderson at kneedeep@sonic.net with the page number and the location and date the page was purchased, and it will be recorded with the San Diego Police Department as safe and added to the Safe List.

Please forward this update to comic shops, art sellers and art collectors.

Thank you,

Brent Anderson