• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newly slabbed Green Rivers

43 posts in this topic

Just got the box today with 12 slabs.........all of them went in raw, no resubs, no pressing (at least while in MY possession). 10 of the 12 were noted as having white pages, and ranged from a 5.5 to a couple of 9.4s.

Shin Kao is going to be revising his GR master list and I am trying to convince him to list the CGC registration numbers along with the grades of any books in the collection that have been slabbed. Just another level of information that I think should be available for ALL pedigree books. And I think Shin's project with the Green River collection should be duplicated for every other major pedigree as far as possible, for both historical reasons and for more easily authenticating the books when they come up for sale.

Here is the first one I am posting.....put this one up a while back as a raw book.

oaaw.jpg

Wow,

#1, thnx for sharing scans, some really nice books, I am thrilled your Tales #67 got a 9.0, but I think they overgraded it a bit, with a few spine breaks, and that corner I am surprised it got a 9.0 I have CGC 7.5 comics that I think look very similar, but I digress.

I am really glad you got a 9 out of it.

#2 I totally agree , a compilation that is accessible to all of us for each major Pedigree would be awesome.. but more then likely its just a pipe dream.. but who knows.

It could, and SHOULD happen....if for only the reason as you said.. to verify sales of RAW and more importantly slabbed pedigrees.

#3. More scans. more scans more scans....

I also want to see a photo of all your Green River bretthren lounging around in a big group hug.

Who knows?, once I see a photo of yours all in one place, it might just make me feel bad enough for not selling you my CGC TOS #45 Green River ....

I feel guilty every time I look at it ... kinda like I took away your kid , and wont let you have visits on the weekend.

And it looks at me with puppy dog eyes, and asks

"why wont you let me go join my brothers and sisters at Brads house?"

And I avoid making eye contact as I shove it back in its box.

Zeman

I think that maybe the outstanding features of the TOS pulled it up to a 9.0.....that was one that I was a bit suprised at, by about .5 pts.

av34.jpg

I think that maybe the outstanding features of the TOS pulled it up to a 9.0.....that was one that I was a bit suprised at, by about .5 pts.

you are correct, as I look at it more, it is a hard nut to crack, 8.5 seems correct.

But hey who are we to argue.... 27_laughing.gif It says 9.0 so by golly itsa 9.0

Gotta go do some actual work now....back later......these scans are being done in two pieces and I have to stitch them back together with Photoshop, that's why they take so long. I'm too cheap to pay CGC for scans, even though they produce really nice ones. hi.gif

Gotta go do some actual work now....back later......these scans are being done in two pieces and I have to stitch them back together with Photoshop, that's why they take so long. I'm too cheap to pay CGC for scans, even though they produce really nice ones. hi.gif

Does this mean you can get a job at CGG?, posting scans?

( just kidding guys)

27_laughing.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif great books, I think that what some ppl don't realize with alot of pedigrees is that they are usually far far better in person. I have 3 in my collection and the gloss, inks and pages are just spectacular. I am sure this must sway the graders to higher grades even if there are minor spine and corner defects present.

And really isnt that the point of most pedigrees - that they were bought and preserved together as a lot and in an overall condition that has remained very close to the day they were purchased off the newstands? Sure they may have accumulates a few minor dings, but the neat thing is to put them next to a modern and see that they have better gloss in some cases even though they are older by 30 years or more. thumbsup2.gif

I agree. When I opened that Our Army at War.........it was as close to newstand fresh as you could ask for an almost 40 year old book. And I think that the Green River collection may not even be in the upper echelon of the pedigrees. But you can't beat those white pages. Even the one book I got back as a 5.5 has white pages.....Tales to Astonish 74.....had some major spine stress......but you will never see a better 5.5.....it looks like an 8.0. Will post a scan of that one later. Just as part of the discussion.

What three do you have? (And this is not a prospectus to buy! 27_laughing.gif

I've been in contact with the store owner that purchased some of the Green Rivers before they became a pedigree (when they were sold to John Hauser and his partner for $25k.)

It seems that there are HUNDREDS of Green Rivers not on my list that may be floating around the Pacific Northwest in private collections.

(The store owner purchased the Green Rivers from William Stevens, Jr's brother.. the same brother who is having a book published about his brother, the suspected Green River killer.)

More details later.

Nice books, Redhook! Looks like I'll have to send some of mine in...