• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newly slabbed Green Rivers

43 posts in this topic

Even the one book I got back as a 5.5 has white pages.....Tales to Astonish 74.....had some major spine stress......but you will never see a better 5.5.....it looks like an 8.0. Will post a scan of that one later. Just as part of the discussion.

Does it have bullet holes and that's also why it got a 5.5? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, but my free-of-charge scan consultations for board members are still offered anytime anyone needs one. 27_laughing.gif

OK, so what's your take on scan-lines? I've just noticed every scan I've made in the last couple of days has a faint line (looks light-greenish in high res zoom in) from top to bottom about in the middle of the scan. Bad scanner? Bad scanning procedures? Bad scanner settings?

Anything to be done to prevent it?

Even the one book I got back as a 5.5 has white pages.....Tales to Astonish 74.....had some major spine stress......but you will never see a better 5.5.....it looks like an 8.0. Will post a scan of that one later. Just as part of the discussion.

Does it have bullet holes and that's also why it got a 5.5? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No bullet hole. I think the jury is till out (no pun intended) on what that notation in the original sales manifests meant. An issue sold recently that was on that was supposed to have had "bullet holes" in it. There were none. confused-smiley-013.gif

No bullet hole. I think the jury is till out (no pun intended) on what that notation in the original sales manifests meant. An issue sold recently that was on that was supposed to have had "bullet holes" in it. There were none. confused-smiley-013.gif

Does anyone know the person who made the original manifest and did anyone ever ask? gossip.gifCrack the slab and add to the legend by shooting the 5.5 yourself. thumbsup2.gif One of my Venom: The Madness is riddled with BB gun holes.

Hey, shoot your own 5.5s! 27_laughing.gif

Here is a scan of the page of the original manifests that denotes several issues of ASM as having "bullet holes". I believe this list was put together originally by Craig C. Beles, the attorney for the original owner, William J. Stevens II, a suspect at the time in the Green River Killings. He sold much of the collection to John Hauser and James Haack, about 1,000 of the approximately 1,600+ books, back in 1993.

This was downloaded from Shin's site at http://www.corpcity.com/CGC/

Hopefully if I have given any incorrect info, Shin will clarify.

grmanifest2.jpg

Hey, shoot your own 5.5s! 27_laughing.gif

Here is a scan of the page of the original manifests that denotes several issues of ASM as having "bullet holes". I believe this list was put together originally by Craig C. Beles, the attorney for the original owner, William J. Stevens II, a suspect at the time in the Green River Killings. He sold much of the collection to John Hauser and James Haack, about 1,000 of the approximately 1,600+ books, back in 1993.

This was downloaded from Shin's site at http://www.corpcity.com/CGC/

Hopefully if I have given any incorrect info, Shin will clarify.

grmanifest2.jpg

Yes.. that was put together by Mr. Beles, a lawyer who apparently is not a hardcore comic collector. (Note the spelling of Aguaman.. which in Spanish, is pretty accurate...)

I can email him actually about it.

I'm scanning right now some Charltons (raw) that I picked up recently to pop into the Charlton, Dell thread. Should be up in about 15 minutes, Shiver.

Here is the best looking 5.5 you will ever see in a Silver Age book. They gave me the half point on the TOS 67 but took at least that much away on this one, I think you could make a case for this going to a 6.5, but I will call for the graders notes to see....

This one obviously has it's problems......very noticeable spine stress, crease on the lower right corner, and not seen, a bigger crease on the back cover. Still, is very glossy, has those white pages......And the date stamp is right in the center of Lady Dorma's kisser! 893frustrated.gif

tta74.jpg

What makes me wonder about these lower grade Green River copies,

are these ones he might have actually read more?

his favorites comics??

Early copies in his collection, before he know to keep better care of them?

Or did they just get incidental contact wear, and nothing more then that to their above average wear compared to the rest of his books.

Z

No, these are not the early books in the run. It was probably just poor storage along the way....that's my theory.

As far as it being one of his favorites......damned if I know.....but you'd expect more cover wear and less gloss, and that isn't the case.

I agree. When I opened that Our Army at War.........it was as close to newstand fresh as you could ask for an almost 40 year old book. And I think that the Green River collection may not even be in the upper echelon of the pedigrees. But you can't beat those white pages. Even the one book I got back as a 5.5 has white pages.....Tales to Astonish 74.....had some major spine stress......but you will never see a better 5.5.....it looks like an 8.0. Will post a scan of that one later. Just as part of the discussion.

What three do you have? (And this is not a prospectus to buy! 27_laughing.gif

That OAAW is very drool-worthy! cloud9.gif

The store owner purchased the Green Rivers from William Stevens, Jr's brother.. the same brother who is having a book published about his brother, the suspected Green River killer

Did both brothers have their own collections or a was it a single collection shared between them.

The store owner purchased the Green Rivers from William Stevens, Jr's brother.. the same brother who is having a book published about his brother, the suspected Green River killer

Did both brothers have their own collections or a was it a single collection shared between them.

Here's a quick summary.

The brothers' father ran a small drugstore near Gonzaga University in WA. WIlliam and his brother apparently used to steal the comics from their father's store and put them away. The comic store owner purchased between 600 and 800 comics directly from William Stevens, Jr. in the early 1990s. This collection was mentioned in an Overstreet Update and is the first mention of the Green River collection (before it was named.)

When WIlliam died, his brother started bringing in comics for sale. The store owner believes that WIlliam was the true comic collector and was the one who kept the comics in pristine condition.

Out of the 600 - 800 comics sold to the store owner, some 200-300 bear a certificate from that store. This brings the Green River Pedigree Collection total to somewhere around 2500 books at least.

The store owner never cataloged the books he purchased, but he remembers William keeping him on the hook with promises of having multiple copies of Amazing Spider-man #1 and other keys.

These comics were sold in the Pacific Northwest and at the Portland and Seattle comic conventions (to dealers and visitors alike.)