• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WonderCon moving to Anaheim in 2012?

50 posts in this topic

According to Mile High Chuck, two Comic-Con officials confirmed to him that WonderCon has lost its dates at the Moscone Center and will be moving to Anaheim in 2012, dates to be determined.

Looking at the CCI website, dates for WonderCon are listed as TBA, which is another hint that this rumor might be true. While I feel bad for board members in the bay area, I'm excited at the possibility of WonderCon being a short 20 minute drive away.

I'm also curious how Hollywood will react. Here's a big con positioned BEFORE the major summer movie releases, located much closer to Hollywood than San Diego. I could imagine a Hollywood invasion at WonderCon.

We'll see if the rumor is true... :popcorn:

Chuck says the convention lost its 2012 dates because of renovations to the facility. Here's an article I just found online...

SAN FRANCISCO-Convention facility, Moscone Center, will begin the first phase of the two-year $55-million renovation project next month. Construction and cosmetic improvement work will be timetabled to avoid any disruption to the facility, according to Jones Lang LaSalle, which was recently awarded project management responsibilities for the renovation.

Built in 1981 and expanded in 1991 and again in 2003, the 20-acre Moscone Center convention complex consists of three main buildings—Moscone North, South and West—totaling more than two million square feet and offering 740,000 square feet of meeting and exhibition space.

The renovation is being funded through a unique public-private partnership between the City of San Francisco and the San Francisco Tourism Improvement District Management Corp., a privately-funded group formed by local hotels specifically to make improvements to the Moscone Center and to promote tourism in San Francisco. The city is providing $35 million toward the total cost of renovations with the SFTID generating an additional $20 million through a self-assessment of San Francisco hotels.

The initial renovation work being supervised by JLL and beginning in August includes cosmetic improvements to the main exhibit halls—A, B and C—and minor HVAC work in the North meeting rooms. A second phase of work is slated to begin in December with cosmetic upgrades to selected restrooms to bring them into compliance with the American Disabilities Act. The second phase will also include renovation of meeting rooms in Moscone North. JLL tells GlobeSt.com that the renovation is planned to be completed in October 2012.

Data cited by the San Francisco Convention & Visitors Bureau suggest that more than a third of visitors attend a convention or meeting in the city and Moscone Center is by far the biggest venue for such meetings. Moscone Center has hosted major national meetings such as MacWorld, OpenWorld and Oracle’s national convention as well as major West Coast events such as the Pacific Coast Builders Conference.

“In 2009, San Francisco welcomed 15.4 million visitors, which represents a 5.8% decrease from 2008. Visitor spending was $7.8 billion, a decrease of 7.8% from the previous year,” says Dan Kelleher, chair of the San Francisco Tourism Improvement District, in a prepared statement. “The renovation of Moscone Center will be a critical component to attracting new and repeat convention business to San Francisco by providing an enhanced delegate experience.”

According to Steven Kahn, senior vice president and regional operations manager with JLL’s project and development services group in Northern California, “Moscone Center is an integral part of San Francisco’s biggest economic driver—tourism—and this forward-thinking program promoted by the City and SFTID is critical for maintaining the facility’s competitiveness in the coming years.” Kahn adds that in addition to the phased renovation of the facility, JLL would also be looking at ways to “improve the convention center’s energy efficiency making Moscone more sustainable and paving the way for LEED certification during future phases of improvement to the facility.”

According to Mile High Chuck, two Comic-Con officials confirmed to him that WonderCon has lost its dates at the Moscone Center and will be moving to Anaheim in 2012, dates to be determined.

Looking at the CCI website, dates for WonderCon are listed as TBA, which is another hint that this rumor might be true. While I feel bad for board members in the bay area, I'm excited at the possibility of WonderCon being a short 20 minute drive away.

I'm also curious how Hollywood will react. Here's a big con positioned BEFORE the major summer movie releases, located much closer to Hollywood than San Diego. I could imagine a Hollywood invasion at WonderCon.

We'll see if the rumor is true... :popcorn:

This is awesome.

The other convention centers in the San Francisco Bay Area, such as Oakland, Santa Clara, and San Jose are too small. The WonderCon was held at the Oakland Convention for many years before SDCC bought them out. Oakland Convention Center is tiny (64,000 square feet).

Anaheim is any easy drive from San Francisco. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to reserve a parking space months in advance like SDCC.

Here's the skinny. Anaheim is being considered, but sounds like San Francisco is still a possibility, they're just not sure what venue in SF...

July 27, 2011

Comic-Con's David Glanzer On WonderCon To Anaheim Rumors

In one of his newsletters written from the floor of Comic-Con International, Mile High Comics retailer Chuck Rozanski unearthed a rumor that WonderCon may be moving to Anaheim for 2012. Looking at the CCI web site, indeed WonderCon lacks dates, so I asked Comic-Con's Director of Marketing and Public Relations David Glanzer if the rumor was true as Rozanski had reported, and WonderCon was indeed Anaheim-bound.

As it turns out, Anaheim is in play, but other alternative locations are as well, San Francisco is back in play, and, most importantly, nothing's been decided yet.

Glanzer explained the ongoing process to CR, which apparently with planned renovations at traditional WonderCon facility the Moscone Center. "Typically we try to reserve a venue as far in advance as possible. We were disappointed to learn that the Moscone Center could not give us dates for 2012. It is our understanding they will be in the process of renovating the facility. We were told no dates were available to us. We were faced with the decision to either wait out a year, or try to secure another venue."

It was at this point that Anaheim came into the picture, but only as one alternative. Glanzer: "We began to look at alternative locations and Anaheim was among them. I should point out that no contract has yet been signed with any facility and just as we were in full swing with Comic-Con we received word from San Francisco that they did indeed have dates that could accommodate us."

Asked why the process hadn't been completed yet, Glanzer offered a very good excuse: all of the organization's resources were at this point devoted to the CCI event in San Diego. "Because of Comic-Con we have not had the opportunity to look at this new proposal in terms of dates or even which facility is available. So the long answer to the short question is we are uncertain as to next years dates and location for WonderCon. But we are well aware that exhibitors need to plan ahead as far as possible and the decision made needs to be the best for them, and our attendees."

I would imagine there will be a formal decision as early as possible. I liked WonderCon quite a bit the one time I attended, although it's probably the least directed at my personal kind of comics reading than any show I've been since the waning days of the old Chicago convention. One thing I liked best about it was it being right smack in San Francisco and the outside opportunities provided by the show being in one of the great North American cities. Still, you can't have a show in the middle of the street. So while I hope this a temporary or completely avoidable hiccup, it certainly makes sense for Comic-Con officials to explore alternative venues if the opportunity presents itself.

that would be a HUGE mistake since there are WAY more things to do in the city compared to just disneyland. :screwy:

True, but as Bob said, Anaheim is a short drive from LA, where there are a number of attractions.

This news sounds GRRRRR-EATTTT to me... I'm not a fan of SF *at all*, I actually miss the days when the show was in the Oakland convention center. Anaheim is so much more convenient plus the selection of hotels means I don't have to spend $150-200/night for a room within walking distance.

There's enough to do in Anaheim besides Disneyland. The key to comic cons is having enough bars within walking distance, and both the Hilton and Marriott (which are next door to the conv ctr) have fine establishments. There's a number of chain restaurants within walking distance, as I discovered when I went for Wizard World Anaheim, and hey, the Mouse House ain't so bad under the right circumstances... :) I'm sure Disney/Marvel might be encouraged to "return" to WonderCon if they picked Anaheim.

As for the celebrities, I don't think having a SoCal location will improve things much. With Comic Con owning WonderCon, I'm sure the studios want to participate regardless of location, and the parade of stars should be great whether it's NorCal or SoCal.

I'll be prayin' for a move, but we'll see what happens. :)

This is interesting to me in that it offers SDCC quite a bit of bargaining leverage with the city of San Diego. It would allow them to experiment with the prospect of moving the big Show to Anaheim without actually doing it. Try out the facility, see what works, what doesn't. What the fans think, what is the real capacity.

The risk would be a dilution of the uniqueness of SDCC and over expsure of the movie properties. However with the badge situation it might turn out that the comic con folks find out they can support two large shows in the SOCAL area if both are equally supported by the entertainment / gaming industries.

I would be rather sad to see the more homey feel of WonderWorld go away and miss one of my annual visits to San Francisco. Yorba Linda seems to be taking on the role of the old time show in this neck of the woods. Long Beach hasn't seemed to get a feel for itself and I hear this year it is also catering to the horror crowd.

By the way, for those interested in a great bar at the Disneyland resort try out the recently renovated Trader Sam's at the Disneyland hotel. No admission required and a great place for a Mai Tai; although really small.

Being that I'm minutes from SF and Oakland, and Anaheim is pretty much a plane ride away, I'm pretty bummed that this Con is not in the Bay Area. meh

WonderCon 2012 Moves to Anaheim

http://www.comic-con.org/

WonderCon, part of Comic-Con International's (CCI) family of conventions, today announced that the 2012 show will be held March 16-18, and Anaheim, California, will play host to the long-running comics and popular arts convention. San Francisco's Moscone Center, WonderCon's traditional venue, will undergo renovations in early 2012, leaving the 25-year-old show in the unenviable position of either being canceled or finding a new venue.

In a move to help alleviate an overcrowded calendar, ReedPop's C2E2, which has been waiting to announce dates for its own show in March 2012, will now seek alternative dates while Wizard World has announced that it will postpone its April 2012 Anaheim show.

"It certainly was not our wish to move," commented David Glanzer, director of marketing and public relations for the nonprofit event. "However, when faced with the prospect of canceling the show for a year or moving locations, after careful consideration we decided to keep WonderCon on the 2012 calendar at a venue that could accommodate our needs."

"We fully understand the challenges of trying to secure dates at any venue, let alone one undergoing renovation," said Lance Fensterman, Group Vice President of ReedPop. "In an effort to minimize the impact on exhibitors and attendees we are currently looking to shift C2E2 from our traditional March dates."

Gareb Shamus, CEO of Wizard World offered a unique solution to offset any potential conflict for fans and exhibitors: "All of us who produce conventions know securing dates can often be a frustrating experience especially when you find yourself having to move to a new city." Shamus continued, "Because of their long history, Wizard World has decided to accommodate WonderCon and postpone our April 2012 Anaheim show."

"We appreciate the efforts of Lance and Gareb for going above and beyond in making the WonderCon transition more manageable," said Glanzer.