• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Date stamps

80 posts in this topic

Hello,

I want to purchase a Flash 105 from a dealer and the front cover has a very glossy date stamp dated for Dec 23 1990. What I’m wondering is does this stamp affect the value of the book and will CGC give it the blue UNIVERSAL label or not?

-AJ

Hello,

I want to purchase a Flash 105 from a dealer and the front cover has a very glossy date stamp dated for Dec 23 1990. What I’m wondering is does this stamp affect the value of the book and will CGC give it the blue UNIVERSAL label or not?

-AJ

It will get downgraded somewhat for the ink stamp as "damage" if it is a high grade book. If it is mid-grade or lower, it may not affect the grade much or at all.

As to the value of the book, some collectors hate any writing or date stamps at all and some are fine with it. There's no way to predict what someone else will do.

The difference is that your GSX#1 has a contemporaneous date stamp from when the book was first released. CGC does not downgrade for those below 9.9.

The Flash 105 he mentioned has a date stamp from 1990. That will get downgraded because it is not a contemporaneous date stamp. It is just extra ink on the cover.

Yes, I know this distinction is arbitrary, but that's the way it is.

date stamp on cover...

Again, I love the GSX #1 pickup for that price, Peter. I have to think that the date stamp is the primary reason for your bid being the highest, though. Your purchase (not your fault, of course, but that of lower bidders) may seriously damage the perceived value of GSX #1, at least among the GPAnalysis fanatics. I really think that GPAnalysis, if it is to be trusted, should list any candidate defects (e.g. date stamps, miscuts, miswraps, etc.) along with each item sold. Otherwise, quite honestly, this sell could cost me a lot of money in the future, as I have more than one of those comics in a 9.8. Are you listening, George?

Irregardless of the stamp, the fact that the numbers for GSX in 9.8 now reach 60 (and climbing) certainly come into play... I remember when only a handful existed and they fetched close to 12k a copy ( not too long ago )

But I wholeheartedly agree with you on GPA info (and the lack thereof, you forgot to mention PQ as well)

You wouldn't by any chance have multiples of X94, Hulk 181 in 9.8 ?? lol

Haha. I don't have any of those comics, but I know someone who does. I can hook you up, if you like.

Indeed, I forgot to mention page quality. That would also be important to know. I don't mean to call you out, George, if you're reading. It would be a nice improvement, though, and could be done for keys, at least.

I think that the census numbers for GSX #1 have skyrocketed mostly due to the popularity of that comic. I'd bet you that the number won't go up much at all from now on, as the well has probably run dry. Also, I like to think that devout X-Men fans are recruited almost every day. Surely there are sixty in the world who would pay a decent price for arguably the most important X-Men comic. Besides, I've looked hard for GSX #1 9.8s, and I haven't found anything close to sixty. Unless you or the other few folks I know who have these issues sell, we shouldn't see many on the market anytime soon. I don't want to sell mine, but if I do, it would only be for a substantial profit or out of desperation.

Again, I love the GSX #1 pickup for that price, Peter. I have to think that the date stamp is the primary reason for your bid being the highest, though. Your purchase (not your fault, of course, but that of lower bidders) may seriously damage the perceived value of GSX #1, at least among the GPAnalysis fanatics. I really think that GPAnalysis, if it is to be trusted, should list any candidate defects (e.g. date stamps, miscuts, miswraps, etc.) along with each item sold. Otherwise, quite honestly, this sell could cost me a lot of money in the future, as I have more than one of those comics in a 9.8. Are you listening, George?

Comiclink doesnt report their sales to gpa so the "gpa fanatics" will be none the wiser about peters steal (thumbs u

That's why I love these threads...pick up something new everyday :applause: (thumbs u

Thanks to the OP and thanks to the knowledgeable boardie.

(thumbs u Been there myself a million times over the years. No problem.

Haha. I don't have any of those comics, but I know someone who does. I can hook you up, if you like.

Indeed, I forgot to mention page quality. That would also be important to know. I don't mean to call you out, George, if you're reading. It would be a nice improvement, though, and could be done for keys, at least.

I think that the census numbers for GSX #1 have skyrocketed mostly due to the popularity of that comic. I'd bet you that the number won't go up much at all from now on, as the well has probably run dry. Also, I like to think that devout X-Men fans are recruited almost every day. Surely there are sixty in the world who would pay a decent price for arguably the most important X-Men comic. Besides, I've looked hard for GSX #1 9.8s, and I haven't found anything close to sixty. Unless you or the other few folks I know who have these issues sell, we shouldn't see many on the market anytime soon. I don't want to sell mine, but if I do, it would only be for a substantial profit or out of desperation.

We went over the page quality debate with George P. here about five or six years ago. They aren't going to change it. George said he looked into it and the difference between CR-OW and OW was not statistically significant.

GSX#1 was one of the books found in NM/MT in large quantities by Chuck Rozanski when he bought the "Mile High II" warehouse collection. There are probably more than a hundred out there in NM/MT. Fortunately the demand has always been extremely high and will likely continue to be so.

By the way, Peter, nice book.

Oh. Well, I've learned at least two important facts from this discussion now. Thanks, sufunk! I didn't realize that ComicLink doesn't report sales to GPA. I wonder why not.

George also explained this several years ago. Do a search for his posts about Comiclink from around 2005-2006 or so and you'll find it.

We went over the page quality debate with George P. here about five or six years ago. They aren't going to change it. George said he looked into it and the difference between CR-OW and OW was not statistically significant.

I bet there would be a significant difference between CR-OW and OW, if GPA showed page quality. I've noticed a trend toward paying more for higher page quality, and I can imagine that GPA would exaggerate it. I'm intrigued by how winning auction bids tend to match the most recent sales displayed on GPA. With this recession and GPA, I can see prices continuing to fall, as everyone is looking for a slightly better deal than the last guy who bought a given comic. I guess that's good for the pure collector, but it could be awful for investors. For those of us with limited funds and a serious collecting habit, we could be setting ourselves up for significant losses. Although GPA was probably created to foster comic book investing, I worry that it's hurting us right now.

Oh. Well, I've learned at least two important facts from this discussion now. Thanks, sufunk! I didn't realize that ComicLink doesn't report sales to GPA. I wonder why not.

George also explained this several years ago. Do a search for his posts about Comiclink from around 2005-2006 or so and you'll find it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=1500016&Searchpage=1&Main=82436&Words=comiclink+gpanalysis&topic=0&Search=true#Post1500016

I found the thread.

Wow. That's quite the thread. I'm surprised that Josh and George couldn't work out something after five years, though. Are we sure that ComicLink still doesn't report sales to GPA? Whatever the case, I can promise the following. If the bottom falls out of the comic book market, then I will buy everything that I can afford and store. Thanks for the hyperlink!

GSX#1 was one of the books found in NM/MT in large quantities by Chuck Rozanski when he bought the "Mile High II" warehouse collection. There are probably more than a hundred out there in NM/MT. Fortunately the demand has always been extremely high and will likely continue to be so.

By the way, Peter, nice book.

Thanks. And that tidbit of info on GSX is also much appreciated. Sure hope the numbers for 9.8s do die down...

The difference is that your GSX#1 has a contemporaneous date stamp from when the book was first released. CGC does not downgrade for those below 9.9.

The Flash 105 he mentioned has a date stamp from 1990. That will get downgraded because it is not a contemporaneous date stamp. It is just extra ink on the cover.

Yes, I know this distinction is arbitrary, but that's the way it is.

date stamp on cover...

At first I was confused as to why a date stamp would downgrade the book. I missed that 1990 implication. (thumbs u